The block "C". | The Boneyard

The block "C".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
The last thing our program needs is more instability, but I wonder if there's any support for the block "C" to return. Not only was it the best looking helmet we ever had, it was also just starting to get some brand recognition when we dropped it. And it's the only helmet we've ever won with. It's a killer logo (I was a marketing major).

We've had so many helmet changes that I doubt anyone wants to change it again. I guess this thread is just wishful thinking. Even if the alumni wanted to go back to the block "C", the administration will do what it wants to do. I'm familiar with the SMU program and I know a majority of the alumni want to return to the blue "pony express" uniforms of the early 1980's, but the administration doesn't care.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Part of me wants it to return. The other part of me doesn't want to taint its greatness with our current incompetence. I would love to see it return as an alternate jersey for a couple of games a year though...

Reaction Score
We won't see the C in the near future. A few years back the school did a very comprehensive rebranding to UConn for all things Uconn. Academics and athletics. The block C went by the wayside then.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Block C was great. If someone wants it back, don't really have an issue with it. That said I do understand UConn's desire for consistent branding. The only problem with that is they let Baseball keep the script C (which is also great, but if they have an exception, why not football?)

Reaction Score
Part of me wants it to return. The other part of me doesn't want to taint its greatness with our current incompetence. I would love to see it return as an alternate jersey for a couple of games a year though...

We cannot taint the Block C with putrid football
If we can't bring back the BLOCK C, then put the wolf inside the block C but bring back the C when we get a new HC (Joe Moorehead please) so as to accomplish a clean break from the current 6 years and running

HuskyV

Connecticut UConn Husky
Reaction Score
We won't see the C in the near future. A few years back the school did a very comprehensive rebranding to UConn for all things Uconn. Academics and athletics. The block C went by the wayside then.

Then the marketing group issued t-shirts "derp" husky, "musket" husky & my favorite "80's" husky. They still use the "block" C font as the official "UConn" font.

I am not a marketing guy & understand putting forth a unified image, but the embracing of multiple old school huskies seems to contradict this ideal.

I get the feeling that ditching of the "Block C" is more about vindictive feelings for HCRE & that era, then any unified marketing strategy.

Block C should be on one side of the helmet (blue with red outline) and the new husky should be on the other side.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
main-qimg-bb586ebf4aec5d1669f80fa7949d5880-c

"I insist that you call the captain to demand that he
have the SS Block C return to the pier!"​

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Then the marketing group issued t-shirts "derp" husky, "musket" husky & my favorite "80's" husky. They still use the "block" C font as the official "UConn" font.

I am not a marketing guy & understand putting forth a unified image, but the embracing of multiple old school huskies seems to contradict this ideal.

I get the feeling that ditching of the "Block C" is more about vindictive feelings for HCRE & that era, then any unified marketing strategy.

Block C should be on one side of the helmet (blue with red outline) and the new husky should be on the other side.

On a dark blue helmet, the block "C" on the right side and the husky on the left side would be creative. I like it.

Reaction Score
Cursive UConn script > Block C

Pair the cursive script with the '08-'12 uni's and that would be perfection

Moot point though

Reaction Score

Is that a University or Head Coach decision? I thought that FHCRE was the one who had final approval when UConn went to the Block C in the RENT's inaugural season (And who changed the uniform colors from National Flag blue, red, & white to Blue, White & Silver). And wasn't it a Head Coach's decision to eliminate the blue helmet & go back to white as the primary helmet color?

Reaction Score
Is that a University or Head Coach decision? I thought that FHCRE was the one who had final approval when UConn went to the Block C in the RENT's inaugural season (And who changed the uniform colors from National Flag blue, red, & white to Blue, White & Silver). And wasn't it a Head Coach's decision to eliminate the blue helmet & go back to white as the primary helmet color?
Edsall had the block C when the school was run like a rudderless ship - from the Presidency down to the AD. Herbst is more command and control and re-branded all things UConn to UConn. UConn Health, UConn School of ....fill in the blank. School's website is even UConn.edu The re-branding was not cheap and there was clear instructions provided to all in leadership to stay on message. More about it here Coach UConn Announces New Visual Identity Program - UConn Today

Reaction Score
I'm all for incorporating the Block C helmet not only as a now throwback uni (to do something like honor our Fiesta Bowl team) but also as part of an alternate uni rotation to use with the grey unis...

Why not? It will help sell the program... Fashion designs for football unis are the in thing nowadays folks. The old conservative Connecticut way bores the hell out of the new generation.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I am partial to the letter C shaped like a football with the laces in it. Loved that helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom