The biggest issue - investment in the program | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The biggest issue - investment in the program

Reaction Score
I don’t disagree, but that true for all positions, not just QB’s. It’s why we need to give Mora time (a few years) to develop those relationships since he’s been out the game for a while now. He needs to get a DC but that takes money, and he needs to dump Charlton and put Marinelli in the drivers seat.
I'm really confused about the DC position.

We earmarked 325k for Spanos' salary for 2023 since he signed a 2-year contract with Mora's staff. @huskymedic pointed out that Spanos is now an analyst at Ole Miss and we're no longer on the hook for his salary for the 2023 year. Or are we? It's the only reason I can think of for not having a DC.

As many have pointed out, 325k gets you a DC + a bonus coach in the Sun Belt.

Even if we don't have a DC because Mora wants to be the DC, we have a coaching spot that can do coaching + recruiting. Yet, we're not utilizing it. Why?

Reaction Score

We earmarked 325k for Spanos' salary for 2023 since he signed a 2-year contract with Mora's staff. @huskymedic pointed out that Spanos is now an analyst at Ole Miss and we're no longer on the hook for his salary for the 2023 year. Or are we? It's the only reason I can think of for not having a DC.

Even if we don't have a DC because Mora wants to be the DC, we have a coaching spot that can do coaching + recruiting. Yet, we're not utilizing it. Why?
Good point!

Reaction Score

Even if we don't have a DC because Mora wants to be the DC, have a coaching spot that can do coaching + recruiting. Yet, we're not utilizing it. Why?
We currently have 1 Head Coach and 10 position coaches which I believe is still the FBS limit (currently).

Marinelli was added as Pass Game Coordinator/Executive Director of Recruiting and we back filled his TE Coach position w/ Christian Pace.

Reaction Score
Sure, the money is important but it’s more about the hire. There are dynamic young OC’s that may or may not be the next big thing. Hire the right one and oh boy. But hire the wrong one —like Charlton— and it pulls you down. It all comes down to the right guy. Do Benedict and Mora have the guts to fire him now —and have they spotted a replacement worthy of the turmoil It would cause.

Reaction Score
Sure, the money is important but it’s more about the hire. There are dynamic young OC’s that may or may not be the next big thing. Hire the right one and oh boy. But hire the wrong one —like Charlton— and it pulls you down. It all comes down to the right guy. Do Benedict and Mora have the guts to fire him now —and have they spotted a replacement worthy of the turmoil It would cause.
How about giving Marinelli a shot? Didn’t he work under Noel Mazzone?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I don't think much can be done at this point in changing position coaches but moving play calling responsibility to a different offensive assistant is something they could pull off. Whether that would or would not help is open for debate.

Play calling can help a team play to its strengths. What it cannot do (and at times it appears many do not realize this) is make players bigger, faster, stronget or more skilled.

Reaction Score
I don't think much can be done at this point in changing position coaches but moving play calling responsibility to a different offensive assistant is something they could pull off. Whether that would or would not help is open for debate.

Play calling can help a team play to its strengths. What it cannot do (and at times it appears many do not realize this) is make players bigger, faster, stronget or more skilled.
Yes this is very true. Look at the Dolphins. They built their scheme around Tua’s strengths. And I think we all saw what they did to Denver by employing that strategy.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, the MAC is on the record saying that they like what they have: one of the only sane, regionally-based conferences left in D1 Football. We have no reason to believe they'd have us.

That being said, would love to see UConn in the MAC. A lot of people have turned their noses at the MAC and how it wouldn't fill the Rent. But every year a MAC team beats a B1G team, and they have a shot at the playoffs. Both are more than we can say. We're not in a position to be looking down on anyone or any potential solution.

I remember going to games against no-name FCS teams when I was a student in 2008 and that place was packed once people got their tailgating fix by mid first quarter. Win, and the fans will come back. There are some nice, semi-close potential rivals like Buffalo.
I wonder what uconn football value is… is there a conference that would take us?…some posters are talking that we should be in a power conference…i’m not sure any conference would want us

Reaction Score
I wonder what uconn football value is… is there a conference that would take us?…some posters are talking that we should be in a power conference…i’m not sure any conference would want us
it’s actually probably pretty easy to determine our value I think. Isn’t it just what our TV payout plus ticket sales is?

I would also think we would need to show a solid record of consistent winning seasons to be considered for a conference. Which honestly, given the timeline we have for ACC GOR expiration is probably still feasible if our goal is to form a conference with their leftovers like Cuse, BC, WF, etc.

Reaction Score
We currently have 1 Head Coach and 10 position coaches which I believe is still the FBS limit (currently).

Marinelli was added as Pass Game Coordinator/Executive Director of Recruiting and we back filled his TE Coach position w/ Christian Pace.
Thanks for the info.

This actually makes the lack of production in the passing game worst. We have an extra coach (1 TE, 1 WR, 1 OC, 1 Passing Coordinator) specifically for the passing game but it's yielding the least results.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the info.

This actually makes the lack of production in the passing game worst. We have an extra coach (1 TE, 1 WR, 1 OC, 1 Passing Coordinator) specifically for the passing game but it's yielding the least results.

When you hear hoof beats coming, think horses, not zebras ;)

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, I have been feeling the same way.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom