The big positives | The Boneyard

The big positives

Reaction Score
First off I think we showed what we CAN do in the first 5 minutes of the game.
When Akok went out we seemed to fall off and Gilbert sitting caused a snowball effect.
We stayed tight w a serious chance to win— I think we’re better than Indiana.
Josh Carlton looked really good at times. I think we were over focused on feeding him which led to stagnant offense abd TOS.
We have to free flow — make sure we find a good shot.
We played good defense abd we rebounded well.
I think the shot allocation can’t be Gilbert and Vital with a majority of shots— but we’ll learn from it.
This is a really good team when running on all cylinders — talent is there. How many teams have a 4-5 combo like us?
We just need to make sure ADAMS Polley abd Bouk are more involved.
Also lastly shout out to Sid for playing a nice role

Reaction Score
Two steps forward one step back.

Way too many passengers last night. We got very little (zero points) from Adams, Bouk, Whaley, Gaffney, and
only three points from Gil. That will not get it done. 22 turnovers. Akok was the only A player on the court for us.

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
Two steps forward one step back.

Way too many passengers last night. We got very little (zero points) from Adams, Bouk, Whaley, Gaffney, and
only three points from Gil. That will not get it done. 22 turnovers. Akok was the only A player on the court for us.
Yep. The bench didn’t show up last night and we had 22 turnovers but still had many chances to win at the end. Smh

Reaction Score
The reason we lost was due to the turnovers you don't see on the box score. We lost because of poor shot selections which essentially handed the ball to Indiana each time. It's the same reason we lost to Xavier. The only positive here is that our 3 losses were all completely winnable if we played smarter basketball.

Reaction Score
The two biggest positives on this team are Josh Carlton, proof that this coaching staff can develop a big man, and Akok Akok, proof that this coaching staff can recruit a big man. Literally in the wings is proof that they can recruit a wing (Bouknight, Jackson.) Still an open question is whether they can recruit and/or develop a PG.

Reaction Score
1. Carlton doesn't rebound a lot because he tries to block all shots near the lane. I have no reason to think that isn't what our coaches want, even realizing that he's not Okafor and he's not going to recover from his jump and get the rebound. He was outstanding yesterday. One reason we lost was an inability to get him enough touches in the blocks. The turnovers often came when he got it too high in the post.

2. The teams biggest problem right now is they don't know how to win. It's part lack of confidence from the last few years, and part basketball smarts. We play hard and good defense, we are capable of good offense but make far too many mental mistakes on that end of the floor, but we've had three chances to win a game in the last five minutes where we do just enough things wrong to lose it. That will either stop now or this team won't reach it's potential.

Don't yet have a clue if that's something Hurley will be able to teach this bunch of kids.

Reaction Score
I was genuinely shocked that last night's game summary seemed to be that our bigs are sturdy and our guards can stink it up at times. I would have predicted 10 times out of 10 that would go the other way but here we are.

I'm legitimately shocked but Carlton does appear to be a solid big that we can feed and expect to get 12+ points a game from. Has he grown while at UConn or does he just seem bigger, like the strength training has made him a more solid man? I thought he was 6'9" and at some point last night they said he was 6'11", but he does just 'seem' bigger now. Regardless of his literal size, I can't express how excited I am to watch him the rest of the season, because who was the last post player we had who we could trust this much with the ball in the post to make a solid offensive move or work through a double team and not lose the ball 95% of the time? Is it Jeff Adrien?? Tell me it's not!

Lastly, is it possible that Cliff watching last night's game turned him off because he knows he wouldn't take all of Carlton's minutes if he came here?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom