The big net positive of all the cute experimentation | The Boneyard

The big net positive of all the cute experimentation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I've done my share of bitching over the weekend over the use of almost 60 players against BYU and the QB rotation. However the good news is that it's obvious that Diaco is taking a long game approach here. He's not just positioning himself to move on to a bigger job as soon as possible and he is really attempting to build something enduring.

So I guess that's a good thing right?

Reaction Score
I've done my share of bitching over the weekend over the use of almost 60 players against BYU and the QB rotation. However the good news is that it's obvious that Diaco is taking a long game approach here. He's not just positioning himself to move on to a bigger job as soon as possible and he is really attempting to build something enduring.

I think it's both. Don't get me wrong, I like Diaco's message and hope he has many successful years here at UConn, but most people nowadays don't stay at their first job. If Diaco gets us back to winning at least 8 games a season and another conference championship or two, another school is going to come calling. But there is no reason that UConn can't take the Cincinnati model, who have had successful coaches since Dantonio every stop of the way.

That said, I hope Diaco's here for the long run. He's the just the shot of energy/salesperson this program needs right now and I think that can translate into success on the field.

Reaction Score
I think it's both. Don't get me wrong, I like Diaco's message and hope he has many successful years here at UConn, but most people nowadays don't stay at their first job. If Diaco gets us back to winning at least 8 games a season and another conference championship or two, another school is going to come calling. But there is no reason that UConn can't take the Cincinnati model, who have had successful coaches since Dantonio every stop of the way.

That said, I hope Diaco's here for the long run. He's the just the shot of energy/salesperson this program needs right now and I think that can translate into success on the field.

I don't think we'll stay forever. But with tack he is taking, I think that we get Diaco for 5 years minimum if successful.

Reaction Score

Yeah, he made some questionable calls during the game and hopefully he gets better as a HC because of it. Those decisions are fair game for criticism.

I'm just hoping that 3 or 4 years from now this is all a distant memory and we're all worried about Diaco taking another job.

Reaction Score

This could be how he is positioning himself to move on as soon as possible.

Reaction Score
This could be how he is positioning himself to move on as soon as possible.

I don't see how. Usually guys that are doing that take shortcuts. Sign JUCO kids etc. This is a really protracted evaluation period and he seems to be willing to sacrifice a little competitiveness for player development.

Maddening but, the conference games are the team's best opportunity for wins. And when that part of the schedule comes I think he wants things locked through this extensive period.

Reaction Score
The guy has said his goal is championships, meaning conference championships, being the dominate player in the AAC. I cannot think of a better way to do that than to use the first three competitive games that don't really count toward the conference championship, in order to tweak and prepare your team to face the conference. It seems pretty logical and has been all along. He probably has a very good idea after last week on how everyone will perform in games and he can adjust the amount of time they get. One example would be that he is increasing the snaps for Arkeel and Johnson, which if he had been playing normally last week, probably wouldn't happen, and we might be going through the season with a running game that wouldn't be our best. I am definitely on board with what he is doing by not taking short cuts, and oddly enough I think that not taking short cuts, will turn into a short cut to winning itself.

Reaction Score
the guy should have a mulligan for this entire year, regardless of what happens
Obviously I am exaggerating, but in no universe would a loss to Stony Brook be acceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom