The Big Lead- Connecticut, Once Left for Dead, Now One Big Week From Being in the Mix | The Boneyard

The Big Lead- Connecticut, Once Left for Dead, Now One Big Week From Being in the Mix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If they beat Memphis, Temple, win the first game of the tournament, beat Tulsa/Memphis/Cincy and then lose a close game to SMU in the finals they would have a pretty good resume at 21-12.

But yeah they would still be a bubble team at best. Win the tourney!!

Reaction Score
I think we need to win the next 5 to barely squeak in...but in we can shock the world.

Reaction Score
If we win the next 5 I guarantee were in.

I think 5 will do it, but I will still be nervous. We would be the 5th team from the American. The committee showed us last year how they felt about that idea. Last year's SMU team had a resume that would be close to ours this year and they got the shaft.

Luckily the NCAA loves us.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I think 5 will do it, but I will still be nervous. We would be the 5th team from the American. The committee showed us last year how they felt about that idea. Last year's SMU team had a resume that would be close to ours this year and they got the shaft.

That'll give us an auto-bid.

Reaction Score

If we win the next 5, we're in. Think about it. Last 2 regular season games, plus 3 more would be the AAC Championship game... That's the Automagic bid!

Reaction Score
Gasaway is less optimistic: http://johngasaway.com/2015/03/03/tuesday-truths-lessons-of-history-edition/

It doesn't help that a few of bubble-ish teams (Texas, Georgetown, Ole Miss) have picked up good wins in the last 24 hours.

We pretty much have to win the tourney.
It's not like he backs it up with much evidence:

John Gasaway said:
Connecticut beat SMU over the weekend, leading to speculation that the Huskies may yet earn a tournament bid. And if I’m understanding the speculators correctly they must be saying UConn is finally looking strong enough to possibly win the American tournament. (Kevin Ollie’s guys are literally off the board on the mock brackets in terms of getting an at-large.)

Said tournament will be played in Hartford, so Connecticut will have every opportunity to win the auto bid. That being said, even at home UConn will need to step up its game. The departure of Shabazz Napier drew the most attention, naturally, but replacing not only Napier but also DeAndre Daniels, Niels Giffey, Laslan Kromah and Tyler Olander has proven to be difficult. Connecticut has taken a step back from last year on both sides of the ball, and bear in mind that 2013-14 team entered the tournament as a No. 7 seed.

The main problem facing Ollie has been that UConn has operated at a turnover deficit relative to its American opponents, one larger than what any other upper-division team has recorded in this league. If the Huskies can erase or at least mitigate that at the American tournament, maybe an auto bid will indeed be in the offing. In that sense the Huskies are still alive — as is every eligible team in Division I except for the programs mathematically out of the running in the Ivy’s 14-game tournament. [/Quote

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
"We're going to get favorable treatment because we're UCONN" isn't a valid argument. Sorry folks. Win out in Hartford or bust.

g_smith

made my username before I noticed the UConn theme
Reaction Score
Based on how SMU was treated last year, I say we win the tourney or we're NIT. Even if we make it to the tournament game and lose, I don't think that's enough. ESPN is looking for that "the defending national champs not in the tournament" story.

Reaction Score
I think we need to win the next 5 to barely squeak in...but in we can shock the world.

Based on how SMU was treated last year, I say we win the tourney or we're NIT. Even if we make it to the tournament game and lose, I don't think that's enough. ESPN is looking for that "the defending national champs not in the tournament" story.
This is like the saddest thread I've seen in terms of just ignorance lol

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
"We're going to get favorable treatment because we're UCONN" isn't a valid argument. Sorry folks. Win out in Hartford or bust.

If we win our last two reg season games, and take the first 2 tourney games I truly believe we get an invite possibly stealing one of our fellow AAC brethren's (Temple/Tulsa) spot....

Per the USA Today article:
"Win at Memphis and avenge the early season home loss by winning at Temple? They are very much in the discussion at 19-11. The RPI would go up inside the top 60. The record against tourney-type teams would go to 5-8, which may not sound impressive but would put them in the discussion with plenty of other teams.

Take Temple, for example, who is mainly living on the Kansas win to be more solidly in right now. If Connecticut wins, Temple goes to 3-8 against tourney-type teams. A 5-8 record against tourney teams would put them better or in the range of several others, including UCLA, Ole Miss, Texas, Texas A&M, Pitt, and Tulsa."

Being a die hard Husky fan, the one thing we've learned.... Never count us out, atleast until Mama June sings

Reaction Score
If we get the automatic bid, the chances are that the NCAA committee will let us play.

Reaction Score
Not being a math or statistical major, I can't wait until we get back to 25+ regular season wins. I know this is a college board however the analysis, formula thinking and projections required nowadays is giving this 'old' fan a headache.

You know the collective bunch of you guys can solve at least one major world problem out there or invent the next best thing if you redirected you heavy thinking for even just one day.

Reaction Score
Not being a math or statistical major, I can't wait until we get back to 25+ regular season wins. I know this is a college board however the analysis, formula thinking and projections required nowadays is giving this 'old' fan a headache.

You know the collective bunch of you guys can solve at least one major world problem out there or invent the next best thing if you redirected you heavy thinking for even just one day.

Maybe, but this is more important.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC