The Big East's Catch 22.... | The Boneyard

The Big East's Catch 22....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Television Media rights are due to be negotiated in a couple of months. The Conference has an Interim Commissioner at the helm with no sign of an imminent replacement. Will it be able to deal from a position of strength?
Now that Boise St. has made it's intentions officially known, is further expansion on the horizon, & is the caretaker commissioner presiding over it? Are feelers being sent out to AFA, BYU, & Fresno St., for example, to ease the travel for Boise & SDSU?
All attention should be made to strengthen the position of this conference at the bargaining table.
Just a few points to ponder on a steamy summer day.

Reaction Score
Sadly we've been pondering everything you've mentioned for the past several months, not just today. Only thing that's changed is we have a temp commissioner. Some would say that's a step up...

Like every hot steamy day, hopefully something will break.
Would be very cool if BE added some western schools. AFU and BYU would be solid. Could also deal with Fresno or UNLV.

Reaction Score
Operating without a permanent commissioner right now seems insane. Is there a visionary out there that wants this job? Is the Big East even close to getting a new commissioner? Every time I hear Bailey talk im impressed but he doesn't seem interested in the job.

Reaction Score
Operating without a permanent commissioner right now seems insane. Is there a visionary out there that wants this job? Is the Big East even close to getting a new commissioner? Every time I hear Bailey talk im impressed but he doesn't seem interested in the job.

Bailey seems smart but he isn't quite the spin expert that Swofford is. We need a snake oil salesman.

Navigating realignment and media contracts without a permanent and savvy commissioner is outrageous. My hope is that they have a replacement lined up, but for whatever reason, he can't take the job just yet. If we don't have any clue who the commissioner will be, we are in bigger trouble than I thought.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

A couple of thoughts on your points.

I thought for sure that when Marinara resigned there was a replacement all but lined up and ready to go. I thought it was insane to have an interim commissioner during the BCS negotiations and the upcoming TV contract negotiations.

It turns out I was wrong. Dramatic pause for people to get back on their seats. Yup, I made a prediction on a subject with which I have little experience and zero inside knowledge and I was wrong.

Back on subject with the interim commissioner. The Big12 just did the same thing with Neinas as their interim commissioner- expanded, re-negotiated a contract and represented at the BCS table. Granted the Big12 dynamics are different where the commissioner calls up Texas, asks Texas to give him his opinion and then executes.

But it can be done.

So far it appears that the BE has done what it can and has smart people directing the future. It is what it is.

Like most people here on the board, I'd be thrilled if somehow we could corral BYU and AFA in to the conference. But I ain't holding my breath.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
A couple of thoughts on your points.

I thought for sure that when Marinara resigned there was a replacement all but lined up and ready to go. I thought it was insane to have an interim commissioner during the BCS negotiations and the upcoming TV contract negotiations.

It turns out I was wrong. Dramatic pause for people to get back on their seats. Yup, I made a prediction on a subject with which I have little experience and zero inside knowledge and I was wrong.

Back on subject with the interim commissioner. The Big12 just did the same thing with Neinas as their interim commissioner- expanded, re-negotiated a contract and represented at the BCS table. Granted the Big12 dynamics are different where the commissioner calls up Texas, asks Texas to give him his opinion and then executes.

But it can be done.

So far it appears that the BE has done what it can and has smart people directing the future. It is what it is.

Like most people here on the board, I'd be thrilled if somehow we could corral BYU and AFA in to the conference. But I ain't holding my breath.

Great points, Chin Diesel! And I agree with your assessment that the BE has done what it can through this period of bat- crazy, and has smart people directing the future. That's the biggest reason why I have really tempered my criticism of the Memphis move, which I thought was......well, I'll stay tempered.

As far as making predictions on a subject with which you have little experience and zero inside knowledge; that just qualifies you to either be a politician, a sports journalist, or a Boneyarder (or any combination). I chose the latter, of course! :confused:

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The only teams out West that would add any value or prestige would be BYU as a football-only member. Since BYU would be a football only member it seems it would be fairly easy to accommodate their religion directed scheduling issues.

Even considering UNLV, Fresno St or Nevada, etc. just makes no sense whatsoever. Adding Boise St, etc. as full members makes no sense whatsoever. BYU is the only team available that would more than pay for further dividing up the tv money one more way.

Big East East: UConn, Rutgers, Temple, Navy, USF, Ville, Cincy
Big East West: Boise St, San Diego St, Houston, SMU, UCF, Memphis, BYU

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
BYU is out.

Air Force or a Nevada Team are the two likely bets. UNLV would be cool. 40,000 seat stadium (can be expanded from 36,000) and a great vacation spot.

Boise St, San Diego St, Houston, SMU, Louisville, Memphis, UNLV

pj

Reaction Score
BYU will wait on the Big 12. They would've been taken in preference to West Virginia but for their refusal to play on Sunday, TV networks wanted Sunday content. Having come close, they'll wait until Big 12 expansion is done, as they'd rather have closer partners and more money.

Air Force will probably wait to see how Navy fares.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
BYU is out.

Air Force or a Nevada Team are the two likely bets. UNLV would be cool. 40,000 seat stadium (can be expanded from 36,000) and a great vacation spot.

Boise St, San Diego St, Houston, SMU, Louisville, Memphis, UNLV

Why is BYU out? If the Big East's contract is worth more than BYU's deal with ESPN - why wouldn't they join? BYU's athletic teams are used as a way of spreading their religious mission. You're not going to find a much more national schedule than the Big East's come 2013.

Adding Air Force, Nevada or UNLV further decreases the per team payout. Why would they be added?

Reaction Score
Adding Air Force, Nevada or UNLV further decreases the per team payout. Why would they be added?

Because sometimes when you run a company or organization you do this thing called investing for the future. Of those three I would take the team with the highest ceiling, which is probably UNLV. Their baskeball heritage is also a huge plus.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
BYU intends to use their teams to pimp the BYU Network and its large regional footprint in California, Utah and Texas. It's actually growing there

If it was simply a money issue they'd be in the Big 12. The Big 12 took a pass with them before the BE but the BYU asking price (more like terms) were too much. The WCC gives them more space with the BYU Network and the no Sundays thing. As a football indie they can book the likes of Texas and ND for home and away and add some regional teams that make more sense than Temple.

RED and Orange = Mormonville. BYU Network friendly. Green and Yellow= almost no Mormons. Grey. None.

a-MORMON-PENETRATION-640x468.jpg

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Because sometimes when you run a company or organization you do this thing called investing for the future. Of those three I would take the team with the highest ceiling, which is probably UNLV. Their baskeball heritage is also a huge plus.

This is just moronic. Sorry to insult your clearly sharp business acumen.

Reaction Score
Guys, being the commissioner of the BE equates to being to the GM of the WWE. You think you have power, until the real power usurps you and you look like a fool.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Guys, being the commissioner of the BE equates to being to the GM of the WWE. You think you have power, until the real power usurps you and you look like a fool.

I'll bite on this one.

It isn't a strain to believe any of the McMahon's would probably be a better commissioner than whomever is chosen. A McMahon would definitely know how to maximize media exposure.

Reaction Score
BYU intends to use their teams to pimp the BYU Network and its large regional footprint in California, Utah and Texas. It's actually growing there

If it was simply a money issue they'd be in the Big 12. The Big 12 took a pass with them before the BE but the BYU asking price (more like terms) were too much. The WCC gives them more space with the BYU Network and the no Sundays thing. As a football indie they can book the likes of Texas and ND for home and away and add some regional teams that make more sense than Temple.

RED and Orange = Mormonville. BYU Network friendly. Green and Yellow= almost no Mormons. Grey. None.

As a football indy, BYU will find slim pickings in the new generation on scheduling. The Big1o & Pac12 are going to 9 game conference schedule & 2 interconference games between themselves. Strength of schedule will play a big part in post season eligibility for a national championship. By going indy, the Cougars have ceded the right to play in a NC playoff. Where will they pick up the necessary games for a representative schedule? BYU (moreso than theLeprechauns) should rethink their decision to go independent.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Bailey seems smart but he isn't quite the spin expert that Swofford is. We need a snake oil salesman.

I would be opposed to Calipari becoming our next commisioner.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

If BYU intends to leverage football/BYU Network to spread the word of Mormonism, however... would it not make sense to head east? Population density, etc... Plans for a Mormon temple in Farmington... just sayin.

Reaction Score
I want to know why there is a pocket of Mormons in Maine. I find that interesting...
That's a long way from Utah.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I want to know why there is a pocket of Mormons in Maine. I find that interesting...

It's remote like Utah once was.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score

Mormons didn't start in Utah, they stopped there. Joseph smith was born in Vermont and grew up in new York before heading west.

Reaction Score

No one actually lives in Mormonville. Has to be the lowest population density area outside of Alaska.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom