The Big East Tournament is thriving | The Boneyard

The Big East Tournament is thriving

Reaction Score
2019 BIG EAST Championship Caps Banner Attendance Week

The four sellouts in five sessions during the championship week are a first for the BIG EAST Conference.

The 2019 BIG EAST Conference Men’s Basketball Tournament – presented by Jeep – brought in nearly 100,000 fans over the tournament’s four-day run in New York City, with a total of 98,782. The tournament averaged 19,756 per session over the course of the week, and filled Madison Square Garden to 99.7 percent capacity.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
2019 BIG EAST Championship Caps Banner Attendance Week

The four sellouts in five sessions during the championship week are a first for the BIG EAST Conference.

The 2019 BIG EAST Conference Men’s Basketball Tournament – presented by Jeep – brought in nearly 100,000 fans over the tournament’s four-day run in New York City, with a total of 98,782. The tournament averaged 19,756 per session over the course of the week, and filled Madison Square Garden to 99.7 percent capacity.

Michigan had more fans in one football game more then what you had in your entire tournament.

My statement is just as relevant to this board as yours.

Reaction Score
But..I'll give some due...

Good attendance...mostly Nova fans...

Reaction Score
But..I'll give some due...

Good attendance...mostly Nova fans...

The Hall represented in the title game. The place was lit. All sessions sold, so not just Nova.

7,000 for the AAC title game. The AAC tournament doesn’t draw.

I was concerned with what might become of the Big East Tournament, but it has thrived. We don’t miss the Cuse fans in NY, at all.

Reaction Score
Saturday's prime time Big East final on TV...rated at 1.43 million

Or less than half of some ACC regular season matches....even the Duke-Syracuse game back in February had almost double the Big East finals rating.

Soooo...pat yourself on the back for attending the Garden.....but don't get too high on that horse until people start caring nationally again.

Reaction Score
The Big East final doesn’t get ratings because it isn’t on ESPN. It certainly isn’t because nobody cares.

If your team isn’t playing, then you just want to see a good game. The Big East offered tons of entertaining basketball. I feel much more confident in the health of the Big East than others seem to. The fans care, the Garden fills up and the product is fun to watch.

Reaction Score
When I find them...I'll post.

The WCC Final had 1.0 million...

The Bradley-Northern Iowa MVC Final had 1.28 million.

The Pac 12 Quarterfinal had 823,000

Reaction Score
It's in the biggest city in the country, with as many business dollars as anywhere. Many of those tickets are presold thru the Garden. It's another event in NYC a place where professional basketball has been on hiatus for many, many years courtesy of Dolan.

Reaction Score
That is great for the Big East. This is not what we need to focus on, now!! We need to encourage the new president and governor to start the process of rebuilding UConn men's BB and FB programs. If necessary start with a task force that includes Jim Calhoun and some college football bigwig, maybe who works for ESPN or NBC Sports and lives in the state, and others -- I like the idea of Lou Holtz and Kevin Gilbride. Another member may be former President John Casteen who was also UVA president. The task force should issue a report soon with specific goals and a plan how to get there. It should get the governor's and Republican's blessings and explain why the success of UConn sports is essential to the success of the state's economy. The rebirth of UConn sports needs to start soon, as we also support the new president's plan to double federal research dollars. (I would hope for triple.) Ned Lamont mentioned he would like to see UConn in ACC -- during the campaign. Let's hold him to his campaign promise!!!

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
The Hall represented in the title game. The place was lit. All sessions sold, so not just Nova.

7,000 for the AAC title game. The AAC tournament doesn’t draw.

I was concerned with what might become of the Big East Tournament, but it has thrived. We don’t miss the Cuse fans in NY, at all.

Call us back when you have a PC Marquette final.

Reaction Score
translated: "please move the goalposts"

Actually, I'm just interested.

I know that aside from the game itself, the time, channel, lead-in, competitive programming, etc. are all factors. Also, "getting the NY market" is valued and discussed a lot on this board. I have never studied ratings much and don't have access to the numbers. I know some on here have talked about being in the business, so I'm sure they have better access to the numbers.

I'm not framing an argument, I'm just interested in the perspective that billybud highlighted.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The Big East Tournament used to be the biggest conference tournament in the country - the Big East Final was the highlight of the conference season. The rest of the conference tournaments were just regional events at best.

The Big East Tournament is not a bad tournament, but it’s not a national event anymore. It’s just like the rest of them.

Reaction Score
That is great for the Big East. This is not what we need to focus on, now!! We need to encourage the new president and governor to start the process of rebuilding UConn men's BB and FB programs. If necessary start with a task force that includes Jim Calhoun and some college football bigwig, maybe who works for ESPN or NBC Sports and lives in the state, and others -- I like the idea of Lou Holtz and Kevin Gilbride. Another member may be former President John Casteen who was also UVA president. The task force should issue a report soon with specific goals and a plan how to get there. It should get the governor's and Republican's blessings and explain why the success of UConn sports is essential to the success of the state's economy. The rebirth of UConn sports needs to start soon, as we also support the new president's plan to double federal research dollars. (I would hope for triple.) Ned Lamont mentioned he would like to see UConn in ACC -- during the campaign. Let's hold him to his campaign promise!!!
You want someone from ESPN on a task force to study how to rebuild men's Bball and football when ESPN is arguably the reason why UConn was left out of the P5? If ESPN wanted UConn in the ACC then BC, Syracuse, Miami and others' objections wouldn't have mattered because ESPN held the purse strings.

Reaction Score
Zissou....

You were right about Cuse and Louisville credits going to the AAC...and not BE

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You want someone from ESPN on a task force to study how to rebuild men's Bball and football when ESPN is arguably the reason why UConn was left out of the P5? If ESPN wanted UConn in the ACC then BC, Syracuse, Miami and others' objections wouldn't have mattered because ESPN held the purse strings.
That may be the case, but an ESPN announcer who is a former college coach, would give credibility to any report listing how UConn can more likely reach ACC or B10. Otherwise, it is very easy for state officials to ignore recommendations on something like increased spending for coach's salaries, especially if the only one pushing for it is the athletic director and some loyal fans.

Reaction Score
The Big East Tournament used to be the biggest conference tournament in the country - the Big East Final was the highlight of the conference season. The rest of the conference tournaments were just regional events at best.

The Big East Tournament is not a bad tournament, but it’s not a national event anymore. It’s just like the rest of them.

I think you are underselling the BET. It's still in the Mecca of Basketball, the center of the media universe, and it sells out more than any other conference tournament. ACC is probably a close 2nd for crowds, and certainly has better top teams this year, but never had the whole vibe that the BET has. I don't think another tournament comes close. Nothing like MSG in March.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom