The Big East Needs To Be Ruthless Too | The Boneyard

The Big East Needs To Be Ruthless Too

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It needs to curbstomp CUSA and the MWC. Boise, AFA, SMU, Houston and UCF may not be enough. I think the league should take a look at Nevada too if BYU joins. Force those two leagues to merge with the Sun Belt and WAC respectively. Put them out of commission.

Because that takes the at-large BCS bid off the table almost every year because none of the remaining programs are anywhere near challenging for a BCS bid, so it is easier for the BCS to let the Big East keep its bid. No one has shown any mercy on the Big East.

Reaction Score
I'm thinking we definitely need to kick the tires on Nevada as well. I think all new additions should be for all sports with the exception of the service adademies. 24 team basketball conference with a 16 team football conference. Eastern and western divisions for both. Get Memphis and Temple, upgrade Nova and bring in Nevada and BYU. Bring in Butler and Gonzaga plus maybe St. Louis and you're good to go.

Reaction Score
"needs to be"......try "should have been"

Its too late now, at best we'll end up with this weird conglomerate of schools spread out the whole country. The idiots in Providence should have been spending the last 5 years doing something to poach another big time school and made the league too hard to walk away from.

Reaction Score
It is what is is now. No crying over spilt milk. Time for the BE to go national. The Big East's biggest problem was that it was not attractive enough to invite teams from other BCS leagues and there are not enough quality teams in the east that are not already in a BCS conference. We need to add quality teams from the west and up and coming teams from the east and become a national conference.

Reaction Score
"needs to be"......try "should have been"

Its too late now, at best we'll end up with this weird conglomerate of schools spread out the whole country. The idiots in Providence should have been spending the last 5 years doing something to poach another big time school and made the league too hard to walk away from.

Like TCU?

Reaction Score
I agree. Go to 14 with Nevada, BYU, and SanDiego State. More schools brings more politcal pressure to keep the BCS bid.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Sure because Central CT is on the same level as Boise State.
True, Central probably has a better hoops team and graduates more than 6% of its students.

Reaction Score
I have said years ago BE should have added UCF and others. By now, all those programs would be BCS programs just like Cincy, UL and USF. BE was short-sighted and we are where we are. BE should should take a long look at things and just go national. Current realignment really forced the BE to think out of the box which Providence is not known for.

If we have to go 14 or 16, this is the time to do it before a major TV deal. Perhaps we can add enough western teams where they can form their own all sports conference without messing up BE basketball. This way, none of the FB onlies have to find homes for other sports. Perhaps teams like Boise and BYU could push for that.

Reaction Score
If we have to go 14 or 16, this is the time to do it before a major TV deal. Perhaps we can add enough western teams where they can form their own all sports conference without messing up BE basketball. This way, none of the FB onlies have to find homes for other sports. Perhaps teams like Boise and BYU could push for that.

Exactly, however I think that we should just have a western division within the Big East. Bring in Butler and Gonzaga and one more bball school (maybe St. Louis for the market) to balance things out and move Marquette and DePaul over to the Western Big East empire. That would mean ND, Georgetown, Providence, St. John's, and Seton Hall would be the basketball schools in the East. Nova would probably move up for football along with bringing in Temple for all sports. In the west we also bring in Nevada for all sports and get into another decent market. Football only is wack. I only think it would work long term for the service academies.

Reaction Score
hard for a conference to be ruthless when they are toothless........all bark.......no bite

Conference could have been ruthless a year ago. Now, it is a little late but it is not too late. BE can still salvage this thing if it made the right moves for a national conference. It will minimizing traveling and keep non-football sports on a regional level. It could be great for TV.

Reaction Score
Conference could have been ruthless a year ago. Now, it is a little late but it is not too late. BE can still salvage this thing if it made the right moves for a national conference. It will minimizing traveling and keep non-football sports on a regional level. It could be great for TV.

I'm glad some on here see what I see. The Big East can definitely still mess this thing up but there is a real chance to do something pretty big and exciting as well.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
For those complaining about what could have been, unless you have a time machine, you need to move on.

14 or 16 is the right number, add Nevada and BYU, and wipe the MWC off the map. I am not in favor of all sports for everyone. The travel is impossible for schools like Boise and Nevada for hoops. Navy and AFA don't want to compete at at Big East level.

I think 16-17 is the right number for hoops, with the 7 bb onlies, ND, and 8-9 others. It is still a top 3-4 basketball league.

Reaction Score
For those complaining about what could have been, unless you have a time machine, you need to move on.

14 or 16 is the right number, add Nevada and BYU, and wipe the MWC off the map. I am not in favor of all sports for everyone. The travel is impossible for schools like Boise and Nevada for hoops. Navy and AFA don't want to compete at at Big East level.

I think 16-17 is the right number for hoops, with the 7 bb onlies, ND, and 8-9 others. It is still a top 3-4 basketball league.

Travel can be handled by splitting into two 12 team divisions for basketball though. You would not play everyone in the other division every year so it wouldn't be that big a deal. 11 game schedule in your division and then maybe 7 teams from the other division. Maybe even less if you want to play some from your division twice a year. You'd need to add western bball schools though so Gonzaga and Butler would have to be in the mix plus one more and shift Marquette and DePaul to the west.

Having too many partial members will ensure this thing is unstable in my opinion. I think football only should be reserved for Air Force and Navy.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Having too many partial members will ensure this thing is unstable in my opinion. I think football only should be reserved for Air Force and Navy.

No matter what the "New Big East" becomes it will be unstable if and when the next round of conference expansion begins.

No move at this point would ensure a stable future for the Big East. I say do whatever you have to do to put the best product for television purposes on the field and court.

Reaction Score
No matter what the "New Big East" becomes it will be unstable if and when the next round of conference expansion begins.

No move at this point would ensure a stable future for the Big East. I say do whatever you have to do to put the best product for television purposes on the field and court.

The more stable the better though. Whatever can be done to maximize stability is what should be done. Could we lose more teams in the future? Sure, UConn probably would be amongst the first to go. But the Big East has to go national and it should find a way for its new western members to be playing each other as conference mates in their other sports instead of just having them be partial members in a bunch of disparate conferences.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The more stable the better though. Whatever can be done to maximize stability is what should be done. Could we lose more teams in the future sure, UConn probably would be amongst the first to go. But the Big East has to go national and it should find a way for its new western members to be playing each other as conference mates in their other sports.

Totally agree about going western. There are simply more BCS ready teams out west than east. Outside of UCF and maybe Temple, there isn't much to choose from.

Side note: I think I quoted both your posts just now. Not trying to be combative, just bouncing ideas off.

Reaction Score
Totally agree about going western. There are simply more BCS ready teams out west than east. Outside of UCF and maybe Temple, there isn't much to choose from.

Side note: I think I quoted both your posts just now. Not trying to be combative, just bouncing ideas off.

No worries. I didn't see anything combative in what you wrote.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Tough to be ruthless when you're toothless.

Reaction Score
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/oct/25/sdsu-tries-ride-realignment-wave/

San Diego State wants to join the Big East for football only. It is good news that there are plenty of teams who want to join our football conference.

14 teams is the way to go, this way Louisville can stay in the eastern half of the league where they belong.

I think BE should go to 14. If you send UL out to west, they would be so pissed. Check out this new map. We need to add more Western teams. We got 7 Eastern teams right now. If BYU is part of the package, we need 2 more Western teams to even up the divisions. SDSU and Fresno ST won't be so bad.

BigEastProposed.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds