The Big East has put college basketball on alert | The Boneyard

The Big East has put college basketball on alert

Reaction Score

How was your weekend? Chances are, it wasn’t as much fun as the Big East’s.
A perfect score for Friday, Saturday and Sunday – 10 teams, 10 games, 10 victories. From Villanova taking down No. 1 Kansas, to St. John’s going west to upend Arizona, to Butler whipping Purdue and beyond. By Sunday night, the Big East was 97-25 against non-conference opponents this season and had hammered the Big 12 in their competition 8-2, with every team carrying a wind gust of momentum going into league play next week.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

How was your weekend? Chances are, it wasn’t as much fun as the Big East’s.
A perfect score for Friday, Saturday and Sunday – 10 teams, 10 games, 10 victories. From Villanova taking down No. 1 Kansas, to St. John’s going west to upend Arizona, to Butler whipping Purdue and beyond. By Sunday night, the Big East was 97-25 against non-conference opponents this season and had hammered the Big 12 in their competition 8-2, with every team carrying a wind gust of momentum going into league play next week.

Impressive. Most impressive. Jim Calhoun has taught you well. You have controlled your fear. Now, release your anger. Only your hatred can destroy the P5.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Anybody watch and take notice of Houston's victory over Washington last night?
Houston didn't play their A game by any means, especially in the 1st half, and beat a ranked and unbelievably athletic UW team.
Before all this crazy talk of going into the NBE and being a contender - look at what the top 4-5 AAC teams are capable of doing and see how athletic and versatile they are.
Cinci, Memphis, Houston and WSU are longer, faster and more skilled in nearly every position than UConn - this will be no easy ride through March. With the exception of Memphis (the jury is still out) they are all well coached and disciplined teams
Joining the NBE is exciting, I agree, but UConn still has business to take care of this season and the 4 teams I mentioned above would all be at the top of the NBE, I have no reservations in saying so.

Reaction Score
Houston didn't play their A game by any means, especially in the 1st half, and beat a ranked and unbelievably athletic UW team.
Before all this crazy talk of going into the NBE and being a contender - look at what the top 4-5 AAC teams are capable of doing and see how athletic and versatile they are.
Cinci, Memphis, Houston and WSU are longer, faster and more skilled in nearly every position than UConn - this will be no easy ride through March. With the exception of Memphis (the jury is still out) they are all well coached and disciplined teams
Joining the NBE is exciting, I agree, but UConn still has business to take care of this season and the 4 teams I mentioned above would all be at the top of the NBE, I have no reservations in saying so.
It won't matter because come tournament time, the rest of the AAC that isn't UConn or Wichita State will crap the bed and embarrass us.

Looking at you Memphis, Cinci and Houston

Reaction Score
This isn't a banner year in college basketball all up an down the line. The traditional 5 star power houses are down, and not a lot of senior/junior laden clubs. This might be the year Gonzaga wins it all.

Reaction Score

I think people are just excited that the challenge will no longer just be 3-4 conference opponents. The four teams listed are pretty decent, but even they'd be middle of the pack in the BE. If you take the middle BE teams and put them in the AAC, say Xavier, MU, and Georgetown, they would all instantly compete to be the best in the conference.

People want that excitement during the entirety of the conference season. Nothing to say that there won't be some tough games this year yet and UConn will just roll into March. It's just exciting to finally have big games every week starting next year.

Reaction Score

Props to the AD for scheduling Cincy, Memphis, Houston and WSU out of conference this year.

Reaction Score
Only you, I think. Nobody watches the AAC. Or the PAC-10 for that matter.
Saw last 10 minutes of the Houston game. In my opinion they are far better than any team we have played. Will be shocked if we beat them.

Reaction Score
Only you, I think. Nobody watches the AAC. Or the PAC-10 for that matter.
I watch them too! It is quite educational. Some of the AAC teams are going to be very difficult to beat.

Reaction Score

For the life of me I can't figure out why Washington didn't shoot a single 3 in the last minute. You're down 5-6 points depending on the time and you just keep driving and fouling even in the last 30 seconds? Hopkins might be a decent coach (jury is still out) but he did a really poor job at the end of that game.

Reaction Score
It won't matter because come tournament time, the rest of the AAC that isn't UConn or Wichita State will crap the bed and embarrass us.

Who has Houston embarrassed? They made the sweet 16 last year and lost a heartbreaker. And lost on a buzzer beater in the second round in 2018 to eventual runner up Michigan.

Reaction Score
the 4 teams I mentioned above would all be at the top of the NBE, I have no reservations in saying so.

based on what are you putting memphis, wsu, cincy, and houston at the top of the NBE?

2 aac teams received votes in this weeks AP poll as opposed to 9 of the 10 NBE teams. sure memphis would be at the top of the NBE, and wichita might be in the top 3-4, but i'd only put cincy and houston above PC right now.

beating UW was a nice win for Houston but St Johns had an even better win against Zona, and i'd rank St Johns 9th out of 10

Reaction Score
This moment in time makes me think of 3-5 years ago when I would often promote reconciliation between the Northeast powers. There was a lot of bad blood from the UConn fans who wanted the "new" Big East to disappear/fail.

I'm glad those days are long over. Northeast basketball is strong and a strong Northeast will inevitably mean a strong UConn. UConn will rise! It's only a matter of time. Because UConn has all the tools to succeed and I would say it has a competitive advantage over its Big East peers. Now it will have the only thing it lacked which is a strong conference where the ceiling is National Championships with a strong brand and a yearly trip to the garden

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Houston is currently the top AAC team in Kenpom. Losses to BYU, OK State and Oregon. But Washington was really their first good win.

I don’t think there are any great college basketball teams this season. I don’t buy that these teams are longer, faster and more athletic. Akok is longer faster and more athletic than anybody on Houston or Wichita State. Sid would be in that conversation based on those traits and Bouk as well. What I see from Wichita State is a superbly coached team without a whole lot of talent really. Echenique is a handful at C for sure, but the rest? Five of Houston’s top six scorers are guards, but three are 6’5” including Grimes.

Reaction Score
Who has Houston embarrassed? They made the sweet 16 last year and lost a heartbreaker. And lost on a buzzer beater in the second round in 2018 to eventual runner up Michigan.

To say that we have no right to be embarrassed by the performance of our conference mates in the tournament the last five years would be a mammoth understatement. The things this board whines about.

The AAC is not the Big East in basketball this year. The Big East is competing to be the top conference in the computers this year. having said that, the AAC is sitting 7th in the Sagarins, far closer to the Pac howevermany in 6th than it is to the A-Ten in 7th. We're upgrading our basketball conference, but the quality of the current one is not anywhere near the core of what our problems have been.

Reaction Score
Cincinnati would for sure be at the top of the BE?

The same Cincinnati that lost comfortably to Xavier and lost at home to Colgate? As for Houston they lost at home to Oklahoma State who the 8th best Big East team Georgetown soundly beat on the road.

Interesting the AAC was brought up out of no where in a thread about the Big East.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

As will all the big east not named Villanova.

Reaction Score
And UConn. And Xavier you know who made the Elite 8 2 years ago. Other than that you were right on the money.

Guess you have people on here who are really gonna pretend leaving the AAC is some big mistake. And the rest have us will have to suffer through the stupid.

Yep. Also, Xavier made the sweet 16 in 2015 and Butler made it in 2017. If DePaul can manage a bid this year, then every Big East team will have made the tournament at least once since the split.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom