The Big East Conference v. Texas Christian University, 1:21-cv-00953 | The Boneyard

The Big East Conference v. Texas Christian University, 1:21-cv-00953

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Wait a minute; I thought that was a done-deal! They don't want to pay now?? Ridiculous. They are quickly joining the ranks of "colleges that I detest"...

Reaction Score
So.... add "schools that never really joined the league" to the list of institutions the BE sues. And you wonder why no one wants to join and everyone wants to leave.

Reaction Score
So.... add "schools that never really joined the league" to the list of institutions the BE sues. And you wonder why no one wants to join and everyone wants to leave.

there are quite a few number of teams that wanted to join and did join...ask ECU if they'd join. I'd venture to say their answer would not include the words "no thanks you sue too many institutions."

Reaction Score

The only thing wrong with posting something so stupid is that someone might think you are serious. But, carry on..................

Reaction Score
it seems pretty cut and dry. the contract says they pay $5m if they renege. they reneged. in a situation like this, shouldn't TCU have been able to get the B12 to cover their costs? apparently they didn't, but that sounds more like a negotiating failure by TCU

Reaction Score
Clemson and FSU said they will not go to the Big 12 without BCU as they need to be sure to get to 6 wins.

Reaction Score
it seems pretty cut and dry. the contract says they pay $5m if they renege. they reneged. in a situation like this, shouldn't TCU have been able to get the B12 to cover their costs? apparently they didn't, but that sounds more like a negotiating failure by TCU

Pretty sure I know how it works now in college football. What is said means nothing. In fact, it may often be pure deception. The concept of "honoring one's word" is as foreign a concept as if one were negotiating with someon on Jupiter.

As for contractual relationships, be they verbal or written...........same thing applies........

Pretty sad actually, because this is what serves as an example to young people engaged with these institutions of higher learning.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
WTF is the Big 12 doing? When two schools try to bust the liquidated damages portion of their membership while going to another conference, it sure looks like a coordinated effort.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Well it could be worse - we could be the worst Div. 1 team men's basketball team in Massachusetts, oh wait that's you guys.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Well it could be worse - we could be the worst Div. 1 team mens basketball team in Massachusetts, oh wait that's you guys.

Forget the commonwealth, they aren't even the best program on their street.

Reaction Score
Withdrawal fees are now the BE's biggest revenue source. Twenty mil from WVU, five each from Pitt, Syr and TCU.

Nice 35 mil, almost enough to make up for the shortfall from the new TV deal compared to what the five power conferences are getting.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
maybe we should give fsu and clem that $35mil so that they can now stay in the acc and the $$ is the same for them as the 4 big boy confs.

Reaction Score
Pretty sure I know how it works now in college football. What is said means nothing. In fact, it may often be pure deception. The concept of "honoring one's word" is as foreign a concept as if one were negotiating with someon on Jupiter.

As for contractual relationships, be they verbal or written...........same thing applies........

Pretty sad actually, because this is what serves as an example to young people engaged with these institutions of higher learning.

The system is a disgrace, and the fact that not one Governor has stepped up and told his university "I don't care what everyone else does -- you represent the State of _____ and cut the crap or I'll appoint someone who will" is, frankly, disgraceful.

CL82

Reaction Score
The system is a disgrace, and the fact that not one Governor has stepped up and told his university "I don't care what everyone else does -- you represent the State of _____ and cut the crap or I'll appoint someone who will" is, frankly, disgraceful.

Seriously, Biz? This is an age of self-interest. I think any Gov who took that position would be voted out of office in a heartbeat. I do agree with you in principal, though.

Reaction Score
Seriously, Biz? This is an age of self-interest. I think any Gov who took that position would be voted out of office in a heartbeat. I do agree with you in principal, though.

How does your conclusion make it less of a disgrace? No one on right or left should seriously be asking why we can't fix the deficit, or cut waste in spending, when no one even has the guts to attack something simple like this if it might cost them votes.

Reaction Score

Actually, I think that it's the willingness to make obvious, bold statements like that, even if they tick voters off, is what has made Christy's reputation in Joisey. I could be wrong, but I do think there is a hunger in a lot of voters for a politician to just say what he thinks is right and do it, even if you don't always agree with them (because guess what -- if they're doing anything you won't always agree with them).

Reaction Score
I agree with you Biz that certain politicians like Chris Christie can survive the wrath of voters by simply telling the truth and then doing the right (principled) thing, but I wouldn't bet on Christie saying no if Rutgers ever gets the call.

Reaction Score
Biz, very strong words. That's kind of why the Ivy League checked out. The rest of us can't afford to live by that standard. But very Ivy League anyway.

CL82

Reaction Score
How does your conclusion make it less of a disgrace? No one on right or left should seriously be asking why we can't fix the deficit, or cut waste in spending, when no one even has the guts to attack something simple like this if it might cost them votes.

It doesn't but politicians are perhaps the most self-interested group in a self-interested age. Virtually all of them would not kibitz on this as no good (to them) could come of it and it might hurt their ability to their real jobs.
Actually, I think that it's the willingness to make obvious, bold statements like that, even if they tick voters off, is what has made Christy's reputation in Joisey. I could be wrong, but I do think there is a hunger in a lot of voters for a politician to just say what he thinks is right and do it, even if you don't always agree with them (because guess what -- if they're doing anything you won't always agree with them).

Chris is very well aware of his reputation and knows how to cultivate it. Don't kid yourself, though, he's a pragmatist who understands when to compromise. He taps into voter dislike of the status quo and harnesses it. He is smart enough to know where and when to push. He wouldn't touch this issue with a 10 foot poll though. There just isn't enough upside in it. he might lament the loss of regional conferences. He certainly would speak up about Rutgers, if their was a tactical advantage to do so (unlike Malloy whose verbal diarrhea does nothing to help Connecticut).

I don't disagree with your premise. I just don't ever see it happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom