The Big East and Big Ten are in advanced discussions to renew the Gavitt Games beyond the 2023-24 season | The Boneyard

The Big East and Big Ten are in advanced discussions to renew the Gavitt Games beyond the 2023-24 season

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Can't believe the Big East doesn’t want to showcase their highest profile program with their best TV ratings

I don't care what their excuses are, I don't like it

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Can't believe the Big East doesn’t want to showcase their highest profile program with their best TV ratings

Contract

Reaction Score

See my post above from May 22.

I don't know what you want the Big East to do to include UConn. I'm sure the B1G would love to include UConn also. But are you going to amend the pairings and then tell some existing Big East teams they're not getting a game they're contractually obligated to get? I don't know if the conference has the legal right to do that, but even if it did that wouldn't go over well with any of our conference mates.

This is the last year of the existing contract and then we'll be included starting next season if it continues. We can wait.

willie99

Reaction Score
Sure, the Big 10 can raid the Pac 10. The Big12 can take advantage and give the Pac a death blow. Everyone involved in college athletic can break every contract known to mankind under the guise of making more money

But the Big East cannot find a way to get their best program into the Gavit Games.

Evidently the only iron clad contract in all of college sports

Reaction Score
Sure, the Big 10 can raid the Pac 10. The Big12 can take advantage and give the Pac a death blow. Everyone involved in college athletic can break every contract known to mankind under the guise of making more money

But the Big East cannot find a way to get their best program into the Gavit Games.

Bored Season 3 GIF by The Office

Reaction Score
See my post above from May 22.

I don't know what you want the Big East to do to include UConn. I'm sure the B1G would love to include UConn also. But are you going to amend the pairings and then tell some existing Big East teams they're not getting a game they're contractually obligated to get? I don't know if the conference has the legal right to do that, but even if it did that wouldn't go over well with any of our conference mates.

This is the last year of the existing contract and then we'll be included starting next season if it continues. We can wait.
UConn could play one of the extra B1G teams, though. For example, Ohio State or Penn State.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

Those things you all posted did happen, but they won't actually happen for a few years. Just pretend the Gavitt Games announced that UConn will be participating in 2024.

willie99

Reaction Score
Those things you all posted did happen, but they won't actually happen for a few years. Just pretend the Gavitt Games announced that UConn will be participating in 2024.

We better be :)

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm confused by that contract since the B1G has many more members than the BE and could easily schedule more games.

It's not like there aren't enough B1G teams to take on the BE.
I think it was as simple as UConn was not going to play anyone on the road. Bad enough we are going to Kansas. And nobody was going to come here voluntarily.

Reactions: DCT
Reaction Score
I could be wrong, but I think I read that the Big East offered to include UConn as a ninth Gavitt game this year, but the Big 10 declined.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score

Take It Easy Ok GIF by TV Land

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom