The Big 12 Predictions? | The Boneyard

The Big 12 Predictions?

Reaction Score
I look at the Big 12 as having the greatest possibility of huge upheaval this year. I fully expect Baylor to suffer transition problems but will they suffer enough to lose their grip on the conference? If so, who is most likely to overtake them? Joens State? Perhaps Vic will show brilliance? WVU ain't too bad. Who is/are going to be Sweet 16 worthy?

big12_preseasonwbbpoll_1920x1080_3_02_KN.jpg

Reaction Score
Idk. Something tells me Baylor still gonna be a strong contending team. All depends on if Queen can stay on the floor lol because they literally have little depth.

Reaction Score
Idk. Something tells me Baylor still gonna be a strong contending team. All depends on if Queen can stay on the floor lol because they literally have little depth.
Oh, I think they should still be the favorite but I don't think they will dominate their conference this year.

Reaction Score
I am interested to see how Oklahoma looks with a new coach and perhaps a few more player pieces. Also, can Coach Gerlich make any progress at Tech or will the Raiders just tread water? The roster continues the pattern of lots of yearly turnover. How much of a threat can West Virginia be? Their roster is significantly deeper but is missing top scorer Kysre Gondrezick.

Something I find interesting is the difference between the national view and the conference coaches view. The AP pre-season poll has Texas at #25 and Iowa State at #12. Preseason NCAA tournament predictions show Iowa State in the 3/4 seed range and Texas in 8/9 territory. Big 12 coaches are quite a bit higher on Texas with the pre-season poll predicting a Texas and Iowa State tie for second place. Texas received 2 #1 votes. National pundits also seem to expect that Baylor will not skip much of a beat this year under a new coach. Conference coaches are sensing a possible opening with a team adjusting to a new coach.

Texas has a really talented energetic group of newcomers. In terms of wins/losses, I am prepared for results not so different from last year's team with some early losses (@Stanford for the second regulation game? Yikes), but coming on strong later. I am hoping for better conference results. The team needs early acclimation by at least a couple of the newcomers. The team had a public scrimmage Sunday with the players scrimmaging first against each other and next against some male practice players. The value of experience was on clear display, but so was the talent of the newcomers. Freshman pg Rori Harmon appears to be the starter. Aaliyah Moore will see a lot of minutes as a power forward and will be looked to for scoring.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
BIG12 will be interesting to watch.

I think Texas could end up being the regular season champ. They have depth and a second year under Vic. Baylor will be good and may very well end up as the champ but I’m interested in seeing how they look and their depth is a question mark. If Egbo gets into foul trouble it could be trouble especially against a team like K State and 6-5/6 Akoya Lee. That would mean 6-2 Smith or the 6-1 freshman would anchor the inside. Bickle could as well but it’s gonna be something to keep an eye on. OU is my sleeper. I think they may be better than expected.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Not sure if this is the best place for this, but some might find these comments from Vic as interesting as I did, regarding his difficult, road-heavy nonconference schedule, plus remarks on the difficulty he's encountered in finding teams willing to visit Austin.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Baylor should still be the favorite but I'll be shocked if they don't suffer through new coaching pains and I wont be surprised if they fall from grace (and fall fast). Any time someone replaces a legend with a brand new staff and most of the original roster in tact, it almost never goes smoothly.

Baylor also has numerous shortcomings. The roster only has 9 players and zero post depth for Egbo, besides Kendra Gillispie who is 6-2 and was the #58 recruit in the country. They have 4 solid transfer guards coming in, plus Sarah Andrews and Caitlin Bickle...and that's the entire roster. Nicki Collen is also a pretty weak hire with mediocre results as a head coach and no experience with a high level college basketball program. Fortunately for Baylor, they have one of the best players in the country in Nalyssa Smith back and enough talent that they should still win the Big 12, but I see Vic taking control of the Big 12 after this year with a talented young roster. Baylor is in a dangerous spot after this season, as the only have 5 likely returnees for 2022-23, and only have 1 recruit on board for the class of 2022.

Comparatively, Texas is setting up for a very nice future with a very good 2021 class, 3 other top 100 recruits for 2022, plus several good upperclassmen on their roster now. The Big 12 is in for some big changes in the near future.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Mulkey left a very good group of 5-7 players for the new Baylor coach. Not sure how Baylor would cope if Mulkey had not signed the grad-transfer PG from Alabama right before she bolted for LSU. And, then Collen (or her assistant) brought in another talented and experienced grad-transfer guard from Oklahoma State. If grad-transfer Kamaria McDaniel is healthy after a medical redshirt season, those 3 players plus Egbo and Smith are your starting five, IMO. If those 5 never had to leave the court, Baylor would win the Big 12.

Baylor does have some depth at guard with Jaden Owens and Sarah Andrews; neither played a lot last season. But, lack of depth in the frontcourt will be a huge factor whenever Egbo and/or Smith have to sit on the bench.

West Virginia has a roster with a lot of players this year, and probably a lot of newcomers; same with Texas. ISU will be the same type of offensive team with good shooters from beyond the arc. I think those 3 teams can definitely challenge Baylor.

Reaction Score
On paper, Baylor has a lot of talent, and that alone should win them most games, however I am not sold on Collen, and would not be shocked if Texas comes out on top during the regular season/conference tourney

I also think OK will improve a bit with their new coach, and I am not as high on WV as they lost Kysre G. to the draft, although they do add depth this year

Reaction Score
I think folks are underestimating Vic. He is now starting to remake that team in his style so watch out. I really believe Baylor will implode.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I think folks are underestimating Vic. He is now starting to remake that team in his style so watch out. I really believe Baylor will implode.
After seeing the Mississippi State fall out, I wouldn't be very surprised either. Keep in mind Mississippi State was preseason #6/#7 and didn't even make the tournament, and at the time McCray appeared to be a much better hire on paper than Collen appears to be. Nerve wracking time to be a Baylor fan, especially since they realistically could've been a title contender had Kim stayed along with other players like Ursin, Gusters and Dauda.

Reaction Score
After seeing the Mississippi State fall out, I wouldn't be very surprised either. Keep in mind Mississippi State was preseason #6/#7 and didn't even make the tournament, and at the time McCray appeared to be a much better hire on paper than Collen appears to be. Nerve wracking time to be a Baylor fan, especially since they realistically could've been a title contender had Kim stayed along with other players like Ursin, Gusters and Dauda.
I don’t think Baylor will fall as low or as fast as Miss St. McCray couldn’t really even interact with her team until late in the Summer due to the 2020 Covid shutdown. Plus, we don’t know bt health may have been a factor too.

I do expect some struggles for Baylor this year but they may still win their conference and get it together by tournament time.

Reaction Score
This is the conference I will be watching! So many questions. Will Baylor continue their run? Will Texas over power Baylor and take over the Big 12? Is Iowa State for real? And Oklahoma. How will they respond to a new coach with a new system? I just can't wait for the season to start.

Reaction Score
Well Baylor starting 5
Queen
Smith
Lewis
Asbury (I really think I spelled it wrong)
Andrews.

Whew I hope the guards can play defense. Because that is a very small guard lineup.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Well Baylor starting 5
Queen
Smith
Lewis
Asbury (I really think I spelled it wrong)
Andrews.

Whew I hope the guards can play defense. Because that is a very small guard lineup.
If Kamara McDaniel is recovered from her ACL, I think she will start over Andrews.

Reaction Score
This is the conference I will be watching! So many questions. Will Baylor continue their run? Will Texas over power Baylor and take over the Big 12? Is Iowa State for real? And Oklahoma. How will they respond to a new coach with a new system? I just can't wait for the season to start.
Not for long if they do.

Reaction Score
If Kamara McDaniel is recovered from her ACL, I think she will start over Andrews.
Andrews is ultra talented. If she's 100% healthy. I can't see her being removed from the floor. Especially if they want to have a roster next year lol.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Andrews is ultra talented. If she's 100% healthy. I can't see her being removed from the floor. Especially if they want to have a roster next year lol.
Maybe. Andrews didn't show anything last season in very limited minutes; perhaps she was never 100% healthy. Kamaria brings a lot more collegiate experience, maturity, and size.

Reaction Score
Maybe. Andrews didn't show anything last season in very limited minutes; perhaps she was never 100% healthy. Kamaria brings a lot more collegiate experience, maturity, and size.
Andrews said she was not healthy her freshman year. Still was nursing the injury from high school.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Not sure if this is the best place for this, but some might find these comments from Vic as interesting as I did, regarding his difficult, road-heavy nonconference schedule, plus remarks on the difficulty he's encountered in finding teams willing to visit Austin.

I guess we now understand why Vic asked to delay the UConn series.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom