The Big 12 has to do something soon ... or else: Seven things to know (Dodd) | The Boneyard

The Big 12 has to do something soon ... or else: Seven things to know (Dodd)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
28 cents in TX, 2 cents outside Texas?$25M total? No wonder they are losing money.

Attention B12 sultans, the University of CT is worth as much in cable subscribers in its own as Texas. The B12 would get full coverage to 1M at $2/month easy.

The bidding starts there.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Lol 28 cents.

We get charged for everything here as it is. What's $5 more a month? Charge every CT TV household $5 more a month and call it a day. In typical Connecticut fashion, non-fans would b!tch, then do nothing about it.

Reaction Score
Lol 28 cents.

We get charged for everything here as it is. What's $5 more a month? Charge every CT TV household $5 more a month and call it a day. In typical Connecticut fashion, non-fans would b!tch, then do nothing about it.

$5 is too high but that would provide 81M per year in CT alone, NOT including advertising revenue.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
$5 is too high but that would provide 81M per year in CT alone, NOT including advertising revenue.

Yes it is too high. It's entirely too high. But since everything else costs a fortune here I honestly don't think it's completely egregious. I mean, I'm already in for 200/mo for cable/Internet as it is. What is the difference if I pay $60 more for an entire year?

People will scream that it's crazy. And then they will pay their cable bill.

Edit: When I originally wrote my first post I had written it in for $3. Then I figured why not go all hyperbolic and make it $5. The point still holds.

Reaction Score
It owuld never be $5. ESPN doesn't even charge that. It would likely be on the order of $0.10-0.15 depending on the content it provides.

Reaction Score
It owuld never be $5. ESPN doesn't even charge that. It would likely be on the order of $0.10-0.15 depending on the content it provides.

I was thinking @1-2 in CT and .25-.50 in NYC and Boston. B10 get 1$ in NY I believe

MattMang23

Reaction Score
I'm being totally hyperbolic when I throw out $5. Although in all honesty I wouldn't be complaining if they charged me that.

But I would venture a guess we would have to charge around 1.50 in CT to make it worth the XIIs time.

Reaction Score
Yup, $2.50 on the basic tier is the benchmark. The DMA's in this area love their Huskies. Did you hear that B12 poobahs?

Well, minus the Mets of course. So I am thinking $1.

$1 x 1 million cable boxes x 12 months = 12 million / ESPN's 50% cut = $6 million for tier 3 + advertising profits.

Reaction Score
Didn't Dodd say the Big 12 was not going to expand?

Yup. Just 6 days ago: http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...-12-ties-to-analyze-chances-of-joining-big-12

Several industry sources told CBS Sports it is unlikely there is enough money in the system to make Big 12 expansion worthwhile. The league might get a slight bump in rights fees but not a windfall. In essence: ESPN already owns the majority of media rights for the likes of, say, BYU and Cincinnati. Why would it pay more for the pair to play in the Big 12?

The conversation may be shifting away from expansion and toward a conference championship game. Because of recent NCAA legislation, there is no reason for the Big 12 to expand to stage a championship game. It can do so with only 10 teams.​

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Yup. Just 6 days ago: http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...-12-ties-to-analyze-chances-of-joining-big-12

Several industry sources told CBS Sports it is unlikely there is enough money in the system to make Big 12 expansion worthwhile. The league might get a slight bump in rights fees but not a windfall. In essence: ESPN already owns the majority of media rights for the likes of, say, BYU and Cincinnati. Why would it pay more for the pair to play in the Big 12?

The conversation may be shifting away from expansion and toward a conference championship game. Because of recent NCAA legislation, there is no reason for the Big 12 to expand to stage a championship game. It can do so with only 10 teams.​

He makes the Dude look credible.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The market for the Mets on cable is negligible. That's why it was on the sports tier. That was also almost a decade ago. I would say $2 is the absolute floor. Truth is the state would add a surtax as necessary if that's what it took.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Well, minus the Mets of course. So I am thinking $1.

So you are saying people pay $2.50 to watch UConn but would pay a dollar more if they could do so on a network that did not risk them occasionally stumbling on to a Mets game? Yeah, upon reflection, I guess that makes sense.

pj

Reaction Score
ESPN does get $5/subscriber, and ESPN2 $2. UConn could easily get $2.50 if the channel had most of the UConn games, and quality opponents, plus quality non-UConn conference games. Of course, an AAC network wouldn't do so well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom