The Best NBA Draft Prospects Returning To School- SI Article | The Boneyard

The Best NBA Draft Prospects Returning To School- SI Article

Reaction Score
Interesting article here from SI and who they are projecting as some potential NBA prospects for next season; Andre Jackson is mentioned. He obviously needs to improve his shot but he’s an intriguing player and can impact the game in a lot of ways. I’d like to see him not only improve his shooting but also his ability to blow by the on ball defender and attack the rim. There’s not many guys on the roster that can do that now so it’d be huge for him to make that leap. Expecting a big year from him, he’s got a lot of room for growth, maybe more than just about any player on this roster.

Reaction Score
"
Andre Jackson, G/F, UConn | Sophomore

Height: 6' 6" | Weight: 210 | Age: 19

Jackson had a quiet freshman season, missing all of January with an injury and never quite catching a rhythm, but should step into a bigger role with James Bouknight gone and has the ability to be a difference-maker for the Huskies. A nuclear athlete with incredible quick-twitch movement skills, Jackson wasn’t the most polished prospect coming out of high school, but has an intriguing combination of athletic tools and playmaking skills, and has yet to fully put everything together. He’s one of the best in-game dunkers you’ll ever see, but that only goes so far. Jackson has long been a demonstrably iffy jump shooter who has a lot of work to do in that department. He has clear NBA potential, and while it may take longer for him to come around, the ceiling here is worth watching."

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
"

Jackson had a quiet freshman season, missing all of January with an injury and never quite catching a rhythm, but should step into a bigger role with James Bouknight gone and has the ability to be a difference-maker for the Huskies. A nuclear athlete with incredible quick-twitch movement skills, Jackson wasn’t the most polished prospect coming out of high school, but has an intriguing combination of athletic tools and playmaking skills, and has yet to fully put everything together. He’s one of the best in-game dunkers you’ll ever see, but that only goes so far. Jackson has long been a demonstrably iffy jump shooter who has a lot of work to do in that department. He has clear NBA potential, and while it may take longer for him to come around, the ceiling here is worth watching."

It's easy to see why, with his combination of athleticism and passing ability/spatial awareness. You can't teach the first, and the second is rarer and harder to learn than shooting ability. If he becomes a 38% from 3 shooter, he's potentially an NBA all-star. Lots of guys have learned to shoot later in their career over the years, I don't see why Andre can't.

Reaction Score
"

I get that the dunks and explosive athleticism is always going to be the calling card but how do you do a blurb on the kid and not mentioned the advanced passing skills?

Reaction Score
If I am a GM I would 100% draft a 19 (20 year old next year) with that level of explosiveness, size, and passing ability. As we've seen with other players (Zach Lavine for example) you can grind and develop a shot in the NBA when your only focus is basketball. I can't wait to see what this year brings for Andre.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I get that the dunks and explosive athleticism is always going to be the calling card but how do you do a blurb on the kid and not mentioned the advanced passing skills?
How do you read a single paragraph and not comprehend it?

And please don't @uconnfan68 and argue over the semantics of "advanced passing skills" vice "intriguing combination of ....playmaking skills".

1622570934224.png

Reaction Score
They did. "... but has an intriguing combination of athletic tools and playmaking skills."
You mean playmaking skills include passing... who'd a thunk it, cause we know who didn't

Reaction Score
You mean playmaking skills include passing... who'd a thunk it, cause we know who didn't
My bad that in the context of a paragraph which specifically calls out his athleticism and dunking that I felt his passing, which will be one of his greatest assets if he wants to go to the NBA, needed to be specifically mentioned rather that just lumped into a generic statement such as "playmaking skills".

If you guys think that's adequate, then good for you, I don't.

Reaction Score
My bad that in the context of a paragraph which specifically calls out his athleticism and dunking that I felt his passing, which will be one of his greatest assets if he wants to go to the NBA, needed to be specifically mentioned rather that just lumped into a generic statement such as "playmaking skills".

If you guys think that's adequate, then good for you, I don't.

why don't you email the author and tell him/her it's not adequate?

Reaction Score
Jackson will benefit with Whaley and Polley returning along with the other veterans. Being a freshman it seemed obvious that his passing was well beyond what his players were familiar with, especially coming off the bench. With a full season and non COVID practice interruptions his playmaking (yes playmaking) skills will shine, now surrounded by an experienced team who know him.

Sanogo/Whaley better have their hands 'James Worthy' ready. Be better yet if AJ can get his jumper going, to keep defenders honest and not back off.

Anyway his rim attack is very good but his passing to me is his best skill and will easily get the NBA 'looking'. He ain't ready yet, but we probably will only get 2 more years out of him, providing he doesn't explode next season.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I think Lavine has to be his comp, with similar raw athleticism and size but limited shooting and polished offense.

Lavine has certainly proven that stuff can be fixed.

Reaction Score
He and Sanogo specifically need to limit the ticky-tack fouls. Andre’s biggest issue other than lack of shooting was his inability to stay on the floor. There’s no question he can impact the game in so many ways.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom