OT: The best line explaining why something is missing is ... | The Boneyard

OT: The best line explaining why something is missing is ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
... "The Babylonians took it." The Babylonians took a lot of things so who's to say that they didn't remove the brownie square from the pan of a batch cooling. Why does it have to be you? It gives you plausible deniability, something we all cherish. The discussion ends with you winning. Try it , you'll see. "The Babylonians took it."

Reaction Score
Another great line of explanation, this one for when somebody accuses you of behaving idiotically. It's the Occam's Razor of excuses: simple in the extreme, plausible, and probably true. "Was I drunk?" Here's an example of its use.

Somebody: Remember the time you did something stupid?
You: Was I drunk?

It works. Embarrassing discussion halted in its tracks. Now, thanks to rickyH, I even have the means for shutting even the most annoying pie holes on virtually any front. The Babylonians took it, did it, started it, ate it, supplied the liquor, used the last of the toilet paper, killed Kennedy, killed Kenny...all of it. And if it wasn't the Babylonians, it was probably the Adultlonians.

JS

Reaction Score
Wonder when anyone really said "The dog ate my homework."

MyDogAteMyHomework.jpg

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I thought the phrase was, "The barbarians took it." At least it was where I grew up.

JS

Reaction Score
You'll have to take it up with Jimi...
Ha! Thought I was being original but, as is my habit, gave myself too much credit. Come to find out Hendrix sometimes sang it that way.

From Wikipedia: "In concert, Hendrix sometimes substituted lyrics for comic effect; "'scuse me while I kiss the sky" was rendered "'scuse me while I kiss this guy" (while gesturing towards [drummer Mitch] Mitchell).

Reaction Score
Ha! Thought I was being original but, as is my habit, gave myself too much credit. Come to find out Hendrix sometimes sang it that way.

From Wikipedia: "In concert, Hendrix sometimes substituted lyrics for comic effect; "'scuse me while I kiss the sky" was rendered "'scuse me while I kiss this guy" (while gesturing towards [drummer Mitch] Mitchell).
Such was life in the Purple Haze...did I tell you that my ex-brother-in-law lived with Jimi for about 6 months...

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
The defense to the who the took the brownie question is a series of one word questions a la Vinnie Barbarino:

Did you take a brownie?

What?

The brownies that I was baking for the bake sale. I asked you not take any because I have to give them Donna?

Who?

Donna McMillian. She lives over on Main St.

Where?

Main Street, by the Donovans?

Who?

The Donovans. We were just at their house!

When?

Saturday!! We just were there Saturday!!

Where?

Honestly I don't know why I bother....[storms out]

(Hmm - As long as she's gone, I think I'll have another brownie.)​

Reaction Score
The best one I have used with great success is just to plead "Colossal blunder" followed up by an assortment of "lost my head", "flaked out", "can't explain" etc. The pity it generates diffuses the anger and usally leads to quick forgiveness. Really, try it if you don't mind being thought of as senile.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
... "The Babylonians took it." The Babylonians took a lot of things so who's to say that they didn't remove the brownie square from the pan of a batch cooling. Why does it have to be you? It gives you plausible deniability, something we all cherish. The discussion ends with you winning. Try it , you'll see. "The Babylonians took it."
Are you referring to Tai Babilonia, the former Olympic skater?

tai-babilonia-andre-agassi-grand-slam-for_5747006.jpg

Reaction Score
Wonder when anyone really said "The dog ate my homework."
Who would be dastardly enough to blame their dog. I blamed my mother, "My mom lined the bird cage with my homework. If you'd like, I can bring it in tomorrow. Just let me know."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom