The best high school's ever for women's BB. Not a surprise that UConn figures prominently. | The Boneyard

The best high school's ever for women's BB. Not a surprise that UConn figures prominently.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I had #1, #3, and #5. I missed #4 and #2, even though #2 is local. I had St. Mary's of Stockton on my list and couldn't quickly come up with a 5th school. The trophy case at CTK is VERY impressive.

Reaction Score
I had #1, #3, and #5. I missed #4 and #2, even though #2 is local. I had St. Mary's of Stockton on my list and couldn't quickly come up with a 5th school. The trophy case at CTK is VERY impressive.
Yes, I confess, I sent both of my daughters to the "basketball factory", namely, Christ the King so that they could get into the best colleges. And it worked!
Both made All-City while starting for CTK and my youngest, Chelsea, played alongside Chamique and Sue Bird.
Leslie got accepted to Columbia, Brown, Lehigh and nearby SUNY Stony Brook. Leslie started at Lehigh under legendary HOF coach Muffet McGraw but transferred to Stony Brook where she set numerous records and was inducted into the schools Hall-of-Fame. After graduating from college, Leslie played professional basketball in Europe.
Meanwhile, Chelsea used her basketball prowess to gain acceptance to three Ivy League schools - Yale, Princeton and Penn. She chose Penn & the Palestra and graduated in 2001.

The current college cheating scandal is all about using athletics to gain acceptance to a good college. Lori Loughlin should have come to me for advice. She could have saved herself from giganzo legal fees and a lengthy prison term, n'est-ce pas?

Chelsea18.jpg

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
How could they leave off Vaioletama from Mater Dei's list. Much better team player than one of the other names mentioned. Was a McDonald's AA too. I believe she played on 2 Team USA teams.

Reaction Score
I guess everyone forgot August Martin HS, Queens..THE ANGELS....the HS team of the 80's. One year we sent all 5 starters to div 1 top schools. We won 4 class A State championships and about 7 PSAL championships at the Garden. I was JV coach and varsity assistaint coach for 10 years. I am very proud of all the young ladies I coached. The great Geno recruited my kids when he was still at Virginial. Unfortunately, my partner and head coach Joel Ascher passed away April 29, 2020. We went back to our summer camp days upstate NY. I left coaching in 1991. Anyone who may remember us can contact me at andelsman1@optonline.net. During my tenure we sent 36 girls on college basketbal scholarships. Unheard of in the 80's? Best, DA

Reaction Score
Catchings only played one season at Duncanville. Before that, she played Three seasons with her older sister at Stevenson in Illinois, who was one class ahead of her. My daughter had the misfortune of having to play against them in a summer league game.

Reaction Score
I guess everyone forgot August Martin HS, Queens..THE ANGELS....the HS team of the 80's. One year we sent all 5 starters to div 1 top schools. We won 4 class A State championships and about 7 PSAL championships at the Garden. I was JV coach and varsity assistaint coach for 10 years. I am very proud of all the young ladies I coached. The great Geno recruited my kids when he was still at Virginial. Unfortunately, my partner and head coach Joel Ascher passed away April 29, 2020. We went back to our summer camp days upstate NY. I left coaching in 1991. Anyone who may remember us can contact me at andelsman1@optonline.net. During my tenure we sent 36 girls on college basketbal scholarships. Unheard of in the 80's? Best, DA
Hi Don .. Yes, I agree with you that August Martin was THE girls' High school team of the 80s. I remember your club was loaded in 1985 with Yvonne Asforis[Stanford], Sabrina Rivers[Maryland], Althea Ford [UCLA], Speedy Ellison [George Mason] & Verdie Hale [Wisconsin]. I believe that USA Today had you ranked 3rd in the nation.

The reason I remember your lineup is that your '85 team played against my daughter's team - Christ the King - in the NY State girls' championship game that year up in Glens Falls. One of the most exciting high school games I have ever seen.

In the waning seconds, Martin was up 43-42 but CTK had the ball. Martin collapsed on my daughter who had already dropped 25 points on them. This gave CTK a wide-open baseline jumper for our best shooter.
Unfortunately, the shot rimmed out and Martin escaped with the win.

There were no losers in this game. The game was so well-played and exciting that both teams AND the fans were big winners!

See .. we didn't forget about you even if ESPN did! :)

Sorry to hear about the recent passing of legendary AM coach Joel Ascher. He was a great coach and mentor for 30 seasons. You and he made a great combo!

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Great to hear that August Martin(formerly Woodrow Wilson HS) had such good teams back in the 80's. From 1964-1975, I lived walking distance from the school but went to Springfield Gardens HS. I wasnt following HS ball back then.

Reaction Score
Hi Don .. Yes, I agree with you that August Martin was THE girls' High school team of the 80s. I remember your club was loaded in 1985 with Yvonne Asforis[Stanford], Sabrina Rivers[Maryland], Althea Ford [UCLA], Speedy Ellison [George Mason] & Verdie Hale [Wisconsin]. I believe that USA Today had you ranked 3rd in the nation.

The reason I remember your lineup is that your '85 team played against my daughter's team - Christ the King - in the NY State girls' championship game that year up in Glens Falls. One of the most exciting high school games I have ever seen.

In the waning seconds, Martin was up 43-42 but CTK had the ball. Martin collapsed on my daughter who had already dropped 25 points on them. This gave CTK a wide-open baseline jumper for our best shooter.

There were no losers in this game. The game was so well-played and exciting that both teams AND the fans were big winners!

Sorry to hear about the recent passing of legendary AM coach Joel Ascher. He was a great coach and mentor for 30 seasons. You and he made a great combo!

Reaction Score
Hi Jingo...Great seeing your response...it means a lot. What is your dtr's name? You bet. I remember that game...beating CTK at the time meant a lot to us. There is so much ancient history between the 2 team's...I am a big Husky fan...so much to enjoy. By the way we were ranked #1 until the very last wk & Flynn finished us #2 to Towson Catholic...there were politics involved because I wanted

Reaction Score
Hi Jingo...Great seeing your response...it means a lot. What is your dtr's name? You bet. I remember that game...beating CTK at the time meant a lot to us. There is so much ancient history between the 2 team's...I am a big Husky fan...so much to enjoy. By the way we were ranked #1 until the very last wk & Flynn finished us #2 to Towson Catholic...there were politics involved because I wanted
Yes Don .. the 1985 NY State Federation Girls' Final between August Martin and Christ the King was a true classic. There was certainly a lot of talent on the floor and the game was not decided until the final few seconds with Martin prevailing 43-42.

Martin's plan seemed to be focused on stopping CTK's outside shooters - Alice Scalfaro, Jill Cook & Margaret McKeon - from scoring, thereby opening things up for my daughter - Leslie Hathaway - down on the blocks where she scored 25 points.

Margaret McKeon, the first Miss New York State Basketball the following year [1986] did most of the damage racking up 10 or 12 assists. She was very unselfish.

And I hear you about Mike Flynn against whom I coached in AAU. Mike was very provincial [about Philly] in more ways than one! And I'll leave it at that.

STORY: In 1996 #1-ranked [in the nation] Cardinal O'Hara [from Philly] came up to Queens to play CTK whom they had never beaten. Flynn and most of his basketball buddies were in attendance thinking that O'Hara would finally prevail because All-American Chamique Holdsclaw had graduated the year before. The Philly fans were laughing and joking prior to the game, very confident. But the ride back to Philly was a looong one as CTK triumphed 49-46, holding O'Hara to 40 points below their season's scoring average! My younger daughter - Chelsea - led the Royals in scoring and rebounds. Ironic, since Chelsea was heading to Philly the next year to play college hoops at UPenn. :)

Notably, Hall-of-Fame coach Vinnie Cannizaro was still at the helm for CTK as he was for the 1985 Martin game, eh?

Reaction Score
Yes Don .. the 1985 NY State Federation Girls' Final between August Martin and Christ the King was a true classic. There was certainly a lot of talent on the floor and the game was not decided until the final few seconds with Martin prevailing 43-42.

Martin's plan seemed to be focused on stopping CTK's outside shooters - Alice Scalfaro, Jill Cook & Margaret McKeon - from scoring, thereby opening things up for my daughter - Leslie Hathaway - down on the blocks where she scored 25 points.

Margaret McKeon, the first Miss New York State Basketball the following year [1986] did most of the damage racking up 10 or 12 assists. She was very unselfish.

And I hear you about Mike Flynn against whom I coached in AAU. Mike was very provincial [about Philly] in more ways than one! And I'll leave it at that.

STORY: In 1996 #1-ranked [in the nation] Cardinal O'Hara [from Philly] came up to Queens to play CTK whom they had never beaten. Flynn and most of his basketball buddies were in attendance thinking that O'Hara would finally prevail because All-American Chamique Holdsclaw had graduated the year before. The Philly fans were laughing and joking prior to the game, very confident. But the ride back to Philly was a looong one as CTK triumphed 49-46, holding O'Hara to 40 points below their season's scoring average! My younger daughter - Chelsea - led the Royals in scoring and rebounds. Ironic, since Chelsea was heading to Philly the next year to play college hoops at UPenn. :)

Notably, Hall-of-Fame coach Vinnie Cannizaro was still at the helm for CTK as he was for the 1985 Martin game, eh?
Nice to hear from you...I remember your dye & Cook. There are SO many CTK/Martin stories that I have in my head...I even sent them 2 boys that did well there. What was the name of the Priest/AD? Stories, stories..DA

Reaction Score
Nice to hear from you...I remember your dye & Cook. There are SO many CTK/Martin stories that I have in my head...I even sent them 2 boys that did well there. What was the name of the Priest/AD? Stories, stories..DA
Daughter

Reaction Score
Father John Savage...

Reaction Score
Thanks Jingo....meant daughter
So Don .. my daughters and I are trying to remember the name of a young lady that played for August Martin in the Long Island Wheatley Summer League in '94 or '95 .. she was tall - about 6'2" - and a very good shot blocker .. any recollection would be appreciated ... it's driving us crazy :)

Reaction Score
So Don .. my daughters and I are trying to remember the name of a young lady that played for August Martin in the Long Island Wheatley Summer League in '94 or '95 .. she was tall - about 6'2" - and a very good shot blocker .. any recollection would be appreciated ... it's driving us crazy :)

Reaction Score
So Don .. my daughters and I are trying to remember the name of a young lady that played for August Martin in the Long Island Wheatley Summer League in '94 or '95 .. she was tall - about 6'2" - and a very good shot blocker .. any recollection would be appreciated ... it's driving us crazy .. 2nd request .. can you let us know one way or the other, thanks!

Reaction Score
Jingo...I did reply w/my cell....I left coaching and education in the 90's...on to diff career....I was not involved with bb after '91...10 years was taxing on me and family...I do remember all of the girls recruited because we didn't allow home mail...only my home. Come to think of it, I now do remember your dtr and her outside shooting...sends chills...glad we won....We did not get along w/the CTK program....no problem w/your kids......real ancient history. Keep in touch, DA

Reaction Score
So Don .. my daughters and I are trying to remember the name of a young lady that played for August Martin in the Long Island Wheatley Summer League in '94 or '95 .. she was tall - about 6'2" - and a very good shot blocker .. any recollection would be appreciated ... it's driving us crazy .. 2nd request .. can you let us know one way or the other, thanks!

Did you get my reply? By the way, we are close....I'm in Melville

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom