The Bench Discussed | The Boneyard

The Bench Discussed

Reaction Score
Geno, et al, saw what we saw--albeit with a different thought process--he also saw improvement from Butler, Molly, kyla--yet--he wants more scoring--as do I. He sees improvement on defense--and wants more--.
His expectation for Crystal are evident. He wants a continuation of the Baylor game --with Uconn defense. Now we hear these words and think Geno expects perfection from his freshmen,--right now, right here. He'll accept it if he gets it . He is a realist if he is a coach. But as perfectionist he demands more. These kids Molly, Kyla will do alright in the coming weeks. They won't be Moriah or Tuck--not by a long shot. Butler is a different kind of animal and fits a different need for Geno. She must relieve Napheesa or Gabby and the relief must be as seamless as possible. a near impossible task--she has done it and will do it again only better.
Good article, good expectations--written in a positive mode.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I too hope that Crystal is 100% and ready to go. She is a critical player for this team.

The Huskies have answered all the questions this season relative to size, experience, leadership, where the scoring is going to come from, etc. The only lingering concern is depth.

If UConn can somehow and some way develop their bench to the point where it can provide meaningful contributions come tournament time, the Huskies will secure their 12th championship.

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
"Without Dangerfield, the Huskies relied on freshman Molly Bent while simply leaving senior Saniya Chong (36.2 minutes per game over the past five games) on the court."

Nice article, but this stood out the most for me.

Geno trusts Saniya, and her instincts, to be left in these games so long. Especially in the stretch (4th qtr) when we have so many inexperienced players on the floor it is comforting to see Saniya play like she has. 36 min per game...she must be leading the team in min played over the past 5 contests...which is safe to say Geno is strategically keeping the nation's leader in assists to turnovers on the court as long as he can afford.

IMHO I also think it helps tremendously that Kia and Saniya (both being the 1 and 2 options) can rely on each other to take on the load of that particular spot. They don't have to do it alone, and that mentally helps each one stay focused in the game. Just what I perceive from Kia's interviews and watching them play.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Love the quote from Geno - they were "actually not bad". High praise from the boss. Comparatively speaking, that is.

Getting Crystal back and Natalie`s continued improvement are the big things for me.

I am very happy that Molly and Kyla are playing much better and that Kyla is starting to show the outside shot we knew she had. Really like both of them. But I doubt very much that they will be called upon for meaningful contributions in the critical NCAA Tournament games. Geno has only gone with 7 players in each of the last four UConn championship games decided by 10 points or less.

So my focus is on where Crystal and Natalie are as the regular season rolls on.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Love the quote from Geno - they were "actually not bad". High praise from the boss. Comparatively speaking, that is.

Getting Crystal back and Natalie`s continued improvement are the big things for me.

I am very happy that Molly and Kyla are paying much better and that Kyla is starting to show the outside shot we knew she had. Really like both of them. But I doubt very much that they will be called upon for meaningful contributions in the critical NCAA Tournament games. Geno has only gone with 7 players in each of the last four UConn championship games decided by 10 points or less.

So my focus is on where Crystal and Natalie are as the regular season rolls on.
Agree 100%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom