The Baylor game, special in the annals of UConn games | The Boneyard

The Baylor game, special in the annals of UConn games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There have been many past UConn games, moments and players that stand out in exultation. But this one, for me was special for many reasons.

Coming off a spectacular 4 years of the triumvirate, it was only natural to expect a significant letdown. Most everyone was expecting it. Many opponents are so strong! Nothing lasts forever.

As one tearful Notre Dame player once said, “This is my third time being here, third time losing to the same team. I’m tired of them, I’m tired of losing. It’s just so frustrating it’s always them. "I'm sick of losing to them." Many with the same feelings were now salivating at the chance to dethrone the once mighty, turned ordinary, Huskies.

As Slate.com stated before last year's championship game, "The Huskies will win this year’s title. That will end one of the greatest runs in sports history."

After hearing the same from so many disparate sources, perhaps it was natural to feel the same coming into the Baylor game. The Huskies eked out a 1 point win in the 1st game of the season against a strong opponent. Easing the crash landing to come? Almost everyone was predicting it, even some of the Boneyard faithful.The odds makers were universally criticized for predicting a double digit win against Baylor. It didn't look promising.

As the tip-off approached, I mulled over the negatives attached to a potential lost, particularly if it was a bad loss.The win streak gone, the beginning of dropping down in the standings, the criticism of Geno and the team's ability, the rejoicing and payback comments of many opposing fans, not that I would blame them, given what they have endured for so many years.

All that remained in my mind was a hope for improvement over the course of the season as I sat deliberating whether I should tape the game and watch it later to avoid the stress that was sure to run rampant with a live viewing.

Then I rationalized, a loss wouldn't be so bad after all that has been achieved. No, I'll risk the pain and gut it out. Am I glad I did.

From the get go, the Huskies were playing inspired ball. What defensive ability! What inspiring boldness and effort, what a game plan. It was clear that if they lost it would be no blow out. I was beginning to feel good again.

Then Crystal entered the game and before long I was jubilant! What an unexpected joy. Napheesa was a juggernaut. The entire team was playing inspired, superb ball. Geno was exhibiting his top coaching form and persona. The crowd, lets not forget the crowd, especially the students. Double digit win.

Regardless of how the rest of the season goes, I'm content. All the seasons angst that existed before that game has dissipated regardless of what is to come. This season is already a success.

I slept well that night.

Siestakeyfan

Sailing at Block Island Race Week
Reaction Score
There have been many past UConn games, moments and players that stand out in exultation. But this one, for me was special for many reasons.

Coming off a spectacular 4 years of the triumvirate, it was only natural to expect a significant letdown. Most everyone was expecting it. Many opponents are so strong! Nothing lasts forever.

As one tearful Notre Dame player once said, “This is my third time being here, third time losing to the same team. I’m tired of them, I’m tired of losing. It’s just so frustrating it’s always them. "I'm sick of losing to them." Many with the same feelings were now salivating at the chance to dethrone the once mighty, turned ordinary, Huskies.

As Slate.com stated before last year's championship game, "The Huskies will win this year’s title. That will end one of the greatest runs in sports history."

After hearing the same from so many disparate sources, perhaps it was natural to feel the same coming into the Baylor game. The Huskies eked out a 1 point win in the 1st game of the season against a strong opponent. Easing the crash landing to come? Almost everyone was predicting it, even some of the Boneyard faithful.The odds makers were universally criticized for predicting a double digit win against Baylor. It didn't look promising.

As the tip-off approached, I mulled over the negatives attached to a potential lost, particularly if it was a bad loss.The win streak gone, the beginning of dropping down in the standings, the criticism of Geno and the team's ability, the rejoicing and payback comments of many opposing fans, not that I would blame them, given what they have endured for so many years.

All that remained in my mind was a hope for improvement over the course of the season as I sat deliberating whether I should tape the game and watch it later to avoid the stress that was sure to run rampant with a live viewing.

Then I rationalized, a loss wouldn't be so bad after all that has been achieved. No, I'll risk the pain and gut it out. Am I glad I did.

From the get go, the Huskies were playing inspired ball. What defensive ability! What inspiring boldness and effort, what a game plan. It was clear that if they lost it would be no blow out. I was beginning to feel good again.

Then Crystal entered the game and before long I was jubilant! What an unexpected joy. Napheesa was a juggernaut. The entire team was playing inspired, superb ball. Geno was exhibiting his top coaching form and persona. The crowd, lets not forget the crowd, especially the students. Double digit win.

Regardless of how the rest of the season goes, I'm content. All the seasons angst that existed before that game has dissipated regardless of what is to come. This season is already a success.

I slept well that night.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Great OP - but we beat FSU by two! :)
You describe beautifully what I think many of us felt prior to the season and prior to this game. I admit, I funked watching it live until the last few minutes, choosing to keep track on the ESPN play by play until the win was pretty certain.

It is interesting that though we seem to have been talking about Baylor for years and years, we actually have a very limited history with them and it includes just a single NCAA meeting. Six games in total with now a 4-2 record. And we do not meet next year, this two game series skips to the 2017-18 season.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

I slept well that night.
I'm still sleeping well. As I said after the game, aside from regular season wins over Tennessee and the NCAA's, this was the best win I'd witnessed. I also think this teams personality is unique among UConn teams. Am I wrong here? This team reminds me of the so called "lunch pail" teams of the Chicago Bears.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I just loved the Baylor game. To keep the high going, this morning I watched the SCAR game from two seasons ago. That game evoked some serious bliss.
So did the one from last year. Just hearing once again that coach shut up was a pleasure. Don't get me wrong, I root for Dawn against everyone else. But against The UConn I only want crushing victories.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Great OP - but we beat FSU by two! :)
You describe beautifully what I think many of us felt prior to the season and prior to this game. I admit, I funked watching it live until the last few minutes, choosing to keep track on the ESPN play by play until the win was pretty certain.

It is interesting that though we seem to have been talking about Baylor for years and years, we actually have a very limited history with them and it includes just a single NCAA meeting. Six games in total with now a 4-2 record. And we do not meet next year, this two game series skips to the 2017-18 season.
Next season is the 2017-2018 season.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Im fine with however the rest of the season goes... just glad UConn beat Baylor, couldn't take ETT comments from now til April

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom