The Bandit, The Maverick, & The Outlaw - Crocker's 3-3-5 | The Boneyard

The Bandit, The Maverick, & The Outlaw - Crocker's 3-3-5

Reaction Score
I put together a very, very early look at Crocker's 3-3-5 ... and the possible personnel assignments. The D is specifically built to defend the Zone Read.

DL

L to R - End Carrezola (15), NT Fatukasi (93), End Ormsby

The current DL roster actually fits pretty well with the needs of Crocker's scheme. I like Carrezola rushing off the end and Ormsby setting the edge.

LB

L to R: Bandit - Stapleton (10), Maverick - Joseph (11), Outlaw - Diggs (13)

The 3 LB positions are named Bandit, Maverick, and Outlaw. It is very easy to slot Junior Joseph at the Maverick ... but I'm not sure about Bandit & Outlaw. I'm not sure how well Diggs fits Crocker's hybrid LB/S position. Also ... I've always wanted to see Carrezola and Stapleton regularly on the field at the same time!

DB

L to R: CB Bell (1), FS McAllister (16), S/LB Terry (41), SS Watkins (29), CB Summers (21)

The addition of Bell is very intriguing. Also looking forward to competition for the FS and Nickel CB. We should see a lot of Robinson too.

Of course it is way too early to predict a lot of this.

One thing that stands out ... the D will have a lot of leadership and experience!

DE Bend and Chase Technique to Defend Zone Read

3-3-5 #.jpg

Reaction Score
Wow. That's 9 seniors starting on defense.
Are most of those Pasqualoni's boys?

Reaction Score
I put together a very, very early look at Crocker's 3-3-5 ... and the possible personnel assignments. The D is specifically built to defend the Zone Read.

. I've always wanted to see Carrezola and Stapleton regularly on the field at the same time!

View attachment 23819

AMEN!

Reaction Score
Good read. What strikes me is that it is a great antidote to zone blocking. It requires at least one guard or tackle to not naturally double down on a DE or NT and look for the free LB down field 4 yards off the LOS. So, the method to the madness is leverage the speed mismatch against a slower interior lineman that has to first find the free LB and engage him on the move. You can see it in the diagrams in the article.

The other aspect is the DE responsibility is simplified and they just crash down off the outside tackle and disrupt the option read. They don't try and read the QB option, just force an early decision.

The vulnerabilities I see are if the offense gets out on the edge there looks like a lot of one on one tackles that need to be made. Also, it would seem that delayed counters to the backside could be a problem if the DEs over commit and follow down the line.

Should be fun to watch and create some great mayhem.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom