The AZFL | The Boneyard

The AZFL

Reaction Score
Good stuff going on for Yankee fans in AZ.

Greg Bird 3-8, 3 2B, 2 RBI, 1BB - Back to it after a torn labrum that cost him all of 2016
James Kaprelian - 3 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 6 K - Back to it after a strained flexor in April
Gleyber Torres - 1-4, 1 R, 1 HR, 1 RBI - Out in AZ to try some at second
Miguel Andujar - 3-6 3 R, 1 3B, 1 BB - Only guy in the system that could replace Headley
J.P. Feyereisen - 1 IP, zeroes, 2 K - One of the guys they got from Cleveland, a potential late inning reliever
Dillon Tate - 2 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 3 K - One report said he sat 94-96 and topped out 97, and got swings and misses on both his slider and changeup - In AZ to continue the reclamatino project after Texas nearly destroyed the 4th overall pick in last year's draft

Couple other guys are out there as well - Tyler Wade and Brody Koerner

If you recall, Gary Sanchez previewed his torrid start to his MLB career in the AZFL last year -
he hit .295 / .357 / .625 / .982 last year with 7 HR and 6 2B in 22 games.

It is a hitters league, though, like the PCL. Of course, if Kap and JP keep it up, it would be that much more impressive.

Reaction Score
All signs point to Cashman having done a terrific job at the trade deadline turning one of weakest farm systems into one of the best. And amazing thing is they semi got back into race after the deals.

One thing that would scare me for next few years is any time Sanchez gets a drug test.....just sayin'

Reaction Score
All signs point to Cashman having done a terrific job at the trade deadline turning one of weakest farm systems into one of the best. And amazing thing is they semi got back into race after the deals.

One thing that would scare me for next few years is any time Sanchez gets a drug test.....just sayin'

Not me GO because hopefully he's as smart as the rest of the league LOL I mean Mookie and Jackie got by a full year. Just sayin;)

Reaction Score
Hanley worries me.....

His head is huge now, Barry Bondish but guys like him and Papi are smart, well ahead of these tests. No worries baseball is too stupid and I'm not so sure they don't like this new game of baseball. Lots of power, not a lot of really good baseball players just a bunch of wrestling looking dudes. I watch it as I love baseball, but it's just not the same. And no one please try to tell me it's all about kids working out harder. Oh I know they are, and there's more available to them in physical training than ever, but real baseball players want to look like Machado/Mookie/Jeter and not Hanley/ARod. I mean those guys were SS's at one time and by their later years they couldn't move they were so big, not because of working out. Like Lenny Dykstra said about Greg Jeffries: "He wouldn't have even been in the league without the stuff" and Lenny hadn't done it yet until he was a Phillie. You wonder how many of those exist now, only hanging on because of the stuff? Aaron Hill and the Turner dude from the Dodgers come to mind, originally normal looking dudes now ready to play LBer for the Giants (anyone can hahah) So may others to list who have transformed from rookies.

I don't know, I miss the regular looking dudes and even the chubby guys who could hit .325 with 22/110 - just old I guess.:(

Reaction Score
I recall watching a replay fairly recently of the one game playoff in 1978 between Boston and NY and two things jumped out.

One was how small and unathletic all players looked.

Two was the relatively weak power numbers of the players I thought of as big power guys back then and similarly, the ridiculously bad stats of the starting 'support' guys (Burleson....Remy
...Randolph....White...Dent.....etc.)

Different "world"....

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I recall watching a replay fairly recently of the one game playoff in 1978 between Boston and NY and two things jumped out.

One was how small and unathletic all players looked.

Two was the relatively weak power numbers of the players I thought of as big power guys back then and similarly, the ridiculously bad stats of the starting 'support' guys (Burleson....Remy
...Randolph....White...Dent.....etc.)

Different "world"....
You left out a third thing, how quickly the pitchers worked back then.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom