The Athletic: Dan Hurley on the challenges of returning UConn to glory | The Boneyard

The Athletic: Dan Hurley on the challenges of returning UConn to glory

Reaction Score
These were probably the three most interesting Q&A sections to me.

You mentioned small wins before. What’s an example of a really good small win you had?

Balls always bouncing in the gym. Being told by the coach of the field hockey team, “Hey, Coach, I come in early and I leave late and, man, those lights are always on in the practice gym.” Playing competitive games. Being able to go on the road at Cincinnati, who’s totally established, and taking them to overtime and having a chance to win the game in regulation. Winning that game (against Syracuse) at the Garden.

But probably more so guys learning how to practice. Seeing changes in work ethic. Seeing changes in commitment to the game. Seeing guys develop and improve. Have a Josh Carlton get Most Improved Player in the conference. Being fully prepared for shoot-around and having a team that’s totally locked in on preparation, when at the beginning of the year it was maybe not quite as focused.

On some of the struggles during conference play (this one just cracked me up)
In our practice facility, all of the lottery picks are up on the wall, and there are a lot of them. There were a lot of times during a practice, I would look up at Kemba (Walker) or Ray (Allen) or Rip (Hamilton) or Jeremy Lamb or (Andre) Drummond and kind of yell in their direction. “Hey Ray, can you believe this?!?” The players would obviously sometimes look dumbfounded. But I was just trying to get across that, with the last three seasons we’ve had here, it’s real easy to lose sight of what UConn truly means to college basketball.

From a basketball perspective, was there something you were 100 percent sure would work, and it just didn’t?

I was probably a little naive in terms of my ability to teach my defensive system quickly, and to be able to play the type of defense we played at Rhode Island, in terms of suffocating opponents. We were an elite defensive team there. Maybe it was ego, maybe it was me forgetting a little bit of the process and the complexity of teaching it. Then obviously needing the right type of athletes to run my system.

Reaction Score
Really like the third point about the defense. I was really disappointed by the defense last year and glad to hear it wasn't by design but just not having the right defenders and skills. Looking forward to the improvement this upcoming season.

Reaction Score
Really like the third point about the defense. I was really disappointed by the defense last year and glad to hear it wasn't by design but just not having the right defenders and skills. Looking forward to the improvement this upcoming season.

My favorite also.
I appreciate any time a person can have honest reflection particularly when it comes at there own expense.

Reaction Score

Jalen wasn't a Hurley type defender as good as he was offensively. He was okay, but not a real dog pressuring the ball like Hurley needs.

And we didn't have a big who could hard hedge and recover. Carlton isn't there physically.

Wings we need superior athletes that can cover a lot of ground in the helpside.

Looking forward to recruiting and our guys all improving!

Reaction Score
Jalen wasn't a Hurley type defender as good as he was offensively. He was okay, but not a real dog pressuring the ball like Hurley needs.

Gilbert may have the quickness and aggressiveness, but he's not an ideal defender in Hurley's system either. Hurley wants to blitz the ball handler on screens and use big guards to disrupt their passing angles to the cutting big men. Get the ball handler moving backwards and make the pass to the rolling player difficult. When the ball handler can see over the top of the defender it makes that strategy more difficult.

Reaction Score
Gilbert may have the quickness and aggressiveness, but he's not an ideal defender in Hurley's system either. Hurley wants to blitz the ball handler on screens and use big guards to disrupt their passing angles to the cutting big men. Get the ball handler moving backwards and make the pass to the rolling player difficult. When the ball handler can see over the top of the defender it makes that strategy more difficult.

Imo that's less of an issue than his ability to defend the paint. He isn't going to cut off angles well unless he can strip the ball really early or get them to pick up the dribble. A big, driving, bully guard will be tough

Hurleys ideal guard is definitely bigger and a knockdown shooter

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Having a system that works, getting the players to run that system, teaching that system and implementing it are positives.

However recruiting is not a given and coaches often have to settle with players that don’t fit their systems. Injuries or foul trouble are inevitable exacerbating the situation.

The upshot for me is that a good coach has a great system. A great coach has a great system but is astute enough to recognize quickly when his system isn’t working and why. A great coach is flexible and will make modifications to his schemes working with the conditions he is dealt.

That great coach (one of the greatest of all time imo) was Jim Calhoun.

For me the jury is still out with DH. I felt last season the team under performed. The team was better with Ken Pom numbers than the previous season but six points worse than two years ago (98-92) when KO was in full implosion mode. Comparing those two seasons DH had a much better roster as well as players who were more experienced. He did not have any where near the amount of impactful injuries.

That admission by Dan Hurley regarding his failure is a critical first step in the assessment of last seasons problems if he defines it better and after defining it can make adjustments.

In all the years JC coached UConn I felt he only had two bad seasons related to his stubbornness. The first was Kevin Freeman’s senior season where he moved Kevin from the four to the three in order to improve Kevin’s chances for a professional career. (Loved JC for this). The second was Dyson’s senior season where he moved Jerome to running the team because Kemba was struggling. The switch did not bother me as much as that JC did not take accountability for that years problems.

Every other season JC made adjustments to accommodate and maximize his team’s performance based on the players he had.

Reaction Score
Cool to see UConn popping up frequently on the major news outlets. Obviously lots of big east move coverage. But UConn is also next in the chasing ghost series thing on ESPN. Believe it will come out next week at some point.

Reaction Score
Having a system that works, getting the players to run that system, teaching that system and implementing it are positives.

However recruiting is not a given and coaches often have to settle with players that don’t fit their systems. Injuries or foul trouble are inevitable exacerbating the situation.

The upshot for me is that a good coach has a great system. A great coach has a great system but is astute enough to recognize quickly when his system isn’t working and why. A great coach is flexible and will make modifications to his schemes working with the conditions he is dealt.

For me the jury is still out with Dan Hurley. I felt last season the team under performed. The team was better with Ken Pom numbers than the previous season but six points worse than two years ago (98-92) when KO was in full implosion mode. Comparing those two seasons Dan Hurley had a much better roster as well as players who were more experienced. He did not have any where near the amount of impactful injuries.

Last year's roster was not better nor more experienced than 2016-17, and to the extent that it may have been better it was because of player development under Hurley (i.e. Carlton's emergence).

Hurley did try to change the defensive scheme last year -- several times, in fact. He went away from the hard hedge about 12-15 games in when he realized we couldn't pull it off, and modified it again at the end of the season.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Cool to see UConn popping up frequently on the major news outlets. Obviously lots of big east move coverage. But UConn is also next in the chasing ghost series thing on ESPN. Believe it will come out next week at some point.

I was wondering if UConn would be featured in that series... I think it is a little premature (although I get it, Calhoun was a legend) it's only been 7 seasons since he left and we won a title in that time.

Reaction Score
Last year's roster was not better nor more experienced than 2016-17, and to the extent that it may have been better it was because of player development under Hurley (i.e. Carlton's emergence).

Hurley did try to change the defensive scheme last year -- several times, in fact. He went away from the hard hedge about 12-15 games in when he realized we couldn't pull it off, and modified it again at the end of the season.

compounded by JA and AG injuries

C

Chief00

That great coach (one of the greatest of all time imo) was Jim Calhoun.

For me the jury is still out with Dan Hurley. I felt last season the team under performed. The team was better with Ken Pom numbers than the previous season but six points worse than two years ago (98-92) when KO was in full implosion mode. Comparing those two seasons Dan Hurley had a much better roster as well as players who were more experienced. He did not have any where near the amount of impactful injuries.

That admission by Dan Hurley regarding his failure is a critical first step in the assessment of last seasons problems if he defines it better and after defining it can make adjustments.

In all the years JC coached UConn I felt he only had two bad seasons related to his stubbornness. The first was Kevin Freeman’s senior season where he moved Kevin from the four to the three in order to improve Kevin’s chances for a professional career. (Loved JC for this). The second was Dyson’s senior season where he moved Jerome to running the team because Kemba was struggling. The switch did not bother me as much as that JC did not take accountability for that years problems.

Every other season JC made adjustments to accommodate and maximize his team’s performance based on the players he had.
Jim had a blind spot about Jerome until very late in his senior season.

Reaction Score
sounds like niels lane

Lane is a good example. Gaffney too. Bouk when he's at the 2.

And re: your post from before

I suspect thomas/lane are competing for the same scholly spot. Thomas isn't as big/strong... but obviously an elite offensive player.

Then jackson

A 4: springs, ware, collier

And the last scholly for cliff/cardwell/gray

pj

Reaction Score

I think the ability to make adjustments depends on having quality depth with a diversity of player types. If you have to adjust by altering style of play, it helps to be able to sub in the players who fit that. E.g., shift from a shooter to an athlete for a more fast-paced defense-driven style of play.

Hurley couldn't be flexible last year because he didn't have the depth. Calhoun didn't always have it either early in his career. I think Hurley will show plenty of flexibility as he builds his roster - he is definitely recruiting diversity.

Reaction Score
To be fair, the 16-17 team had major injuries as well. But they started 3 seniors and expectations were high going in.
They need discipline. Too much one on one playground basketball. Too many gunners .

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I downloaded the Athletic app and it lets you read a few articles per month for free, even without a subscription.

Reaction Score
Fwiw--the athletic is easily the best site to have a subscription to imo. If you follow a few teams along with ucmbb especially.

Very well-written and informative compared to most sites recycling year old quotes (looking at you zags).

Reaction Score
Any noteworthy quotes for those of us without a subscription?

"I'm a coach first and a recruiter second...I know guys will get better in my program...We're going to be able to go 10-deep, which is the way I like to play it. Because we get after people."

Saw an ad for the Athletic for 40% off today. Less than $3 per month.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom