The Athletic 2023 Mock Draft | The Boneyard

The Athletic 2023 Mock Draft

Reaction Score

22. Charlotte Hornets (via DEN)​

Andre Jackson | 6-6 wing | 21 years old | Connecticut​

This comes to Charlotte from a variety of draft-day trades. It is lottery protected. Jackson is one of my favorite upside swings in this year’s class, a monster athlete who started to come into his own by midseason last year, particularly as a ballhandler. He used to struggle to put the ball on the deck and make passing reads confidently, but by the end of the season, he was very comfortable as Connecticut’s secondary ballhandler behind R.J. Cole. He’s not the most comfortable shooter at volume, but he hit 36 percent from 3 last season on limited attempts. He can run forever, and he’s a great defender who never seems to tire. I’m a big believer in him being a good developmental project long-term because of the roles he’s had to play early in his career at Connecticut. Now, he should be more ready to step into a primary role for what I think is a top-20 team next season in terms of talent.

Also has Jordan Hawkins at 36, but no write up on him.

Reaction Score
What’s the boneyard consensus on who’s a better NBA prospect between Jackson and Hawkins? If I was an NBA GM and had to pick one or the other I would take Hawkins

Reaction Score
What’s the boneyard consensus on who’s a better NBA prospect between Jackson and Hawkins? If I was an NBA GM and had to pick one or the other I would take Hawkins
Its a shooters league.

Gun to my head-- I'd say Hawkins logs more minutes in his NBA career unless AJax shot improves

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Right now, Jackson because of defense. Hawkins if he shoots close to 40% this season though.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I don't think I can say at this time. Hawk hasn't down anything, he just looks like he has all the tools to be really good. Has to get stronger and improve his ball handling and ability to attack off the bounce. Andre is impactful as hell, he's just all over the place. He has NBA level rebounding, shot blocking, passing, vision, etc. His defense could be ++ even in the NBA if he gets a bit stronger. But his scoring offense is barely Big East level from what we've seen.

Honestly, same for Sanogo, he's got a lot of NBA caliber tools. and a couple of holes in game for the NBA. All three of them do. We are seeing Martin do well, because he really didn't have any holes in his game, even if he's behind Hawk in AJax in some areas.

Reaction Score
I don't think I can say at this time. Hawk hasn't down anything, he just looks like he has all the tools to be really good. Has to get stronger and improve his ball handling and ability to attack off the bounce. Andre is impactful as hell, he's just all over the place. He has NBA level rebounding, shot blocking, passing, vision, etc. His defense could be ++ even in the NBA if he gets a bit stronger. But his scoring offense is barely Big East level from what we've seen.

Honestly, same for Sanogo, he's got a lot of NBA caliber tools. and a couple of holes in game for the NBA. All three of them do. We are seeing Martin do well, because he really didn't have any holes in his game, even if he's behind Hawk in AJax in some areas.
Tristen also has a chance…is what I hear… but I haven’t seen him play

Reaction Score
Is Sanogo even on anyone's radar? There are a lot of whispers about this being his last year...but where's the landing spot?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Is Sanogo even on anyone's radar? There are a lot of whispers about this being his last year...but where's the landing spot?
No idea. But if he's lost another ten pounds, shows he can handle the ball and make Js, not even 3's just 20 ft Js, then he certainly should be. He's quicker and more athletic than he gets credit for being. His offensive skill in the paint is already ahead of a lot of guys in the NBA. They'll project from what they see this year.

Reaction Score
He's got to add facets to his game to be draftable in the modern NBA. These pre-season mock drafts are only going to project natural improvements to existing skillsets and frames. If he does manage to add the necessary skills and proves he can guard in space a bit, he'll get noticed.

That being said, he can earn money professionally even without adding a jump shot. Plenty of landing spots. But who knows how NIL can change the calculus, especially if he has a dominant year. For those asking about international visas, the players just have to sign contracts, do the work, and get paid in their home countries. Doesn't matter where the money comes from.

Reaction Score

It has to be Hawkins. It's tough to make it in the league without a jumper. Even Thybulle, who is in another stratosphere than Jackson defensively, was struggling to stay in Philly's rotation in the playoffs. Good NBA defenses to go the extreme nowadays when it comes to ignoring non-shooters. It's 4 on 5 for the offense. The NBA is hyper-skilled these days and Jackson does not have an NBA-level skill besides rebounding for his size. His handle and jumper both need pretty significant work if he's going to thrive in the league.

Hawkins has a more defined role ahead of him. Plus we've only seen him play with what was essentially his high school frame/weight. We'll see how he looks when he adds the requisite muscle. I think he'll be very good.

Reaction Score
He's got to add facets to his game to be draftable in the modern NBA. These pre-season mock drafts are only going to project natural improvements to existing skillsets and frames. If he does manage to add the necessary skills and proves he can guard in space a bit, he'll get noticed.

That being said, he can earn money professionally even without adding a jump shot. Plenty of landing spots. But who knows how NIL can change the calculus, especially if he has a dominant year. For those asking about international visas, the players just have to sign contracts, do the work, and get paid in their home countries. Doesn't matter where the money comes from.
I hate to say it as I love Adama as a player and a person but unless he can shoot threes at a decent clip or his mid range game becomes elite this year it’s tough to see a landing spot for him in the NBA. He can’t play the 4 in the NBA without a jumper and he’s probably not athletic enough to play the 5. I fervently hope he gets drafted and has a long NBA career, and I’m convinced he’s going to make bank playing overseas otherwise., but it’s the unfortunate reality of today’s NBA game. If you can’t shoot as a center you have to affect the game as much as a Timelord or a Bam

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom