The Aresco moves (if you raise your head) ... | The Boneyard

The Aresco moves (if you raise your head) ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
IF you are buying Property & could pay $4m to Basketball-centric Universities (versus the $500k-$1.5m they get today), you buy the following:

Gonzaga - (attractive great Program with a untapped market)
Creighton - (top 10 in attendance & different eyeballs)
San Diego State/UNLV/New Mexico - only State U's in the West that have a buzz for Hoop
Saint Louis - adds a big market School to play in a regional roundrobin with Marquette/DePaul/Butler/Cincinnati/Memphis
Butler - see above.

with this Move, you just captured every Program that averages over 10,000 attendance out of the Big 5 ... PLUS two great tournament coaches in Few & Stevens.

Do you have to make the MW all-sports with Football?

You bifurcate the Tournament (site west of the Mississippi & bring Winners to Thursday/Friday/Saturday at MSG). You now have about 24 Universities; I am convinced there is plenty of $$$ for this. That's not the Problem here.

Why do all this?

Basketball excellence is still what the BE has. You can still get to a Number 2 Hoop league; then, ESPN has to pay attention to you for Bigtime & you have leverage across several Networks. And, that helps the Football contract.

Piss & moan; Piss & moan. You realize ... if you were paying attention ... that Syracuse board (our (cough - cough) internet brothers just pined 7-9 years for their ACC membership. In the near term, the BE can be relevant in Hoop by doing what it did in 1979 .... blowing the door down with solid teams.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
No. No. No.

At some point message board users and even conference commissioners (ahem, Aresoc) have to realize more teams, means less money paid out per team.

The Tulane move was absolute lunacy.

I think adding a basketball only member from Washington state has the potential to even top that.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i would rather play gonzaga in bball and our fball team just scrimage at the rent then play tulane in both sports

Reaction Score
I've decided that Tulane carries more of their tv market than I realize or Aresco did a friend down there a favor. I don't see any clear reason to add Tulane and apparently, neither does anyone else.

Reaction Score
No. No. No.

At some point message board users and even conference commissioners (ahem, Aresoc) have to realize more teams, means less money paid out per team.

The Tulane move was absolute lunacy.

I think adding a basketball only member from Washington state has the potential to even top that.

As I recall, you were a prime antagonist to the "Don't expand the Rent" discussion. You were DEAD wrong on that; a contributing factor on us not ascending to either the ACC or B1G.

Tulane doesn't fit my mindset. I don't understand that.

But ... In terms of Power, Dollars, Leverage, this current has the capacity to storm back in the College Hoop lead. Big City - City Ball. National. Who else can grab this role? And, the net result is a bonus for the FB. You have Network Content Demand.

UConn - fight on focused on 2020. Beat that Cartel.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
I've decided that Tulane carries more of their tv market than I realize or Aresco did a friend down there a favor. I don't see any clear reason to add Tulane and apparently, neither does anyone else.

i actually think tulane was a great add for what the big east will be in 2014. but its hard for uconn fan to see it now considering where we are today. the acc will implode, and the big east will be a all sports cusa type league that rivals the mac in due time. i epect latech to be in the league to..

Reaction Score
Rivals the MAC?

WTF

You want to be the Cartel's nuisance. You're dollar strategy is to find the big market leakage. You're the underdog grabbing the eyeballs. Undeniably, the BE did that in hoop in 1979. Today - you've separated from the other 4 because you're paying 2 to 5 times the money. It ain't B1G numbers; it's huge though for valuable hoop-oriented schools.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
As I recall, you were a prime antagonist to the "Don't expand the Rent" discussion. You were DEAD wrong on that; a contributing factor on us not ascending to either the ACC or B1G.

That's pure speculation. If stadium size was a factor for the ACC or B1G all that had to be said was, expand The Rent to 55k and you're in - we could have signed off on that in a heartbeat.

Having a 55k seat stadium when we are drawing 30k for games is and was stupid.

Rutgers expanding their stadium doesn't have a damn thing to do with their invite. The population of NJ and the proximity to NYC were all that mattered.

Louisville expanding their stadium doesn't have a damn thing to do with their invite either. Being a southern school that is currently playing good football and has an athletic department not in shambles and has a bright future is why they were invited.

How does having an extra 20k seats do anything but make our building look empty and completely undercut any demand for seasons tickets?

And please spare me with the 'initiative' BS. If this mattered at all, we would have the expansion being worked on in the drop of a hat.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Rivals the MAC?

WTF

You want to be the Cartel's nuisance. You're dollar strategy is to find the big market leakage. You're the underdog grabbing the eyeballs. Undeniably, the BE did that in hoop in 1979. Today - you've separated from the other 4 because you're paying 2 to 5 times the money. It ain't B1G numbers; it's huge though for valuable hoop-oriented schools.

hoops will split pudge. thet will get there own leader and bid to take the big east name with them and let the fball league rebrand itself.

it will be all the best of the rest east coast teams liek the mwc will be out west.

usf/ucf/fiu/fau/uab/smiss/gast/tulane/latech/uh/smu/utsa/tulsa/memphis/arkst/wk/ecu/marsh and so on...

they will call it the big south or something. temple and cincy will join lville in the new acc soon enough. possibly usf also.

the bball schools will create a power bball league and get a 2mil per team deal with espn to help winter programing efforts...prob 16 to 20 teams end up in that league for inventory purposes to tier 3's everywhere. the league will fit inside the b10 footprint state/land wise. don't be suprised if u see the b10 give the league a tv contract for it network and do a huge bball challenege thing with them also.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
hoops will split pudge. thet will get there own leader and bid to take the big east name with them and let the fball league rebrand itself.

it will be all the best of the rest east coast teams liek the mwc will be out west.

usf/ucf/fiu/fau/uab/smiss/gast/tulane/latech/uh/smu/utsa/tulsa/memphis/arkst/wk/ecu/marsh and so on...

they will call it the big south or something. temple and cincy will join lville in the new acc soon enough. possibly usf also.

the bball schools will create a power bball league and get a 2mil per team deal with espn to help winter programing efforts...prob 16 to 20 teams end up in that league for inventory purposes to tier 3's everywhere. the league will fit inside the b10 footprint state/land wise. don't be suprised if u see the b10 give the league a tv contract for it network and do a huge bball challenege thing with them also.

So Connecticut v. Gorgetown in the B1G / Big East Challenge? I love it.

Reaction Score
Having a 55k seat stadium when we are drawing 30k for games is and was stupid.

quote]
quote]

We are small-minded incrementalists ... and Rutgers/Louisville knew how the game was being played. We poorly marketed ... when we had momentum. #BEGHARDER never had a chance when you miss the core things.

Reaction Score
IF you are buying Property & could pay $4m to Basketball-centric Universities (versus the $500k-$1.5m they get today), you buy the following:

Gonzaga - (attractive great Program with a untapped market)
Creighton - (top 10 in attendance & different eyeballs)
San Diego State/UNLV/New Mexico - only State U's in the West that have a buzz for Hoop
Saint Louis - adds a big market School to play in a regional roundrobin with Marquette/DePaul/Butler/Cincinnati/Memphis
Butler - see above.

with this Move, you just captured every Program that averages over 10,000 attendance out of the Big 5 ... PLUS two great tournament coaches in Few & Stevens.

Do you have to make the MW all-sports with Football?

You bifurcate the Tournament (site west of the Mississippi & bring Winners to Thursday/Friday/Saturday at MSG). You now have about 24 Universities; I am convinced there is plenty of $$$ for this. That's not the Problem here.

Why do all this?

Basketball excellence is still what the BE has. You can still get to a Number 2 Hoop league; then, ESPN has to pay attention to you for Bigtime & you have leverage across several Networks. And, that helps the Football contract.

Piss & moan; Piss & moan. You realize ... if you were paying attention ... that Syracuse board (our (cough - cough) internet brothers just pined 7-9 years for their ACC membership. In the near term, the BE can be relevant in Hoop by doing what it did in 1979 .... blowing the door down with solid teams.
I like your enthusiasm. I'm at the point where it almost makes sense. What are you drinking?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
So Connecticut v. Gorgetown in the B1G / Big East Challenge? I love it.

more like ct vs sju or prov

gtown-md most likely for that type of setup
marq-wic
xavier vs tosu
nova-psu
ruty-shu
but-ind
nwest-dep or nd
ill-dep or nd

that type of challenge

Reaction Score
Our attendance would go up with a better conference affiliation. Even non-Boneyard member fans know this.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
more like ct vs sju or prov

gtown-md most likely for that type of setup
marq-wic
xavier vs tosu
nova-psu
ruty-shu
but-ind
nwest-dep or nd
ill-dep or nd

that type of challenge

Grab Rutty/sh as the undercard, and CT/SJ can headline the event at MSG. Please include this suggestion in your letter to Warde.

Reaction Score
I might be the minority here, but I think it is just time to split form the basketball schools. Actually it was way past time. Should have done it in 2003. At that point we had a chance to keep BC, and develop a northeastern conference that could have put together its own tv deals, expand if it needed to, possibly even become a competitor with the ACC as the 5th BCS conference. should have done it in 2010, though it would have been tougher, but still had a chance to put togehter a tv deal tht would have been attractive for keeping the league together. We just need to stop using the basketball schools as a crutch. The Big East (or whatever you call it) needs to go forward and develop a serious conference or not as a group of schools. You can always come up with an excuse to stay with the hoop schools, but if you do, you'll never ever have a shot at developing any stability. You'll always have two agendas. Never have an identity.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Not mentioned in this discussion is that UConn sports drives cable in Connecticut. Attendance might be down, but when SNY took over UConn's rights, their CT penetration skyrocketed overnight. Isn't that a selling point?

Reaction Score
I might be the minority here, but I think it is just time to split form the basketball schools. Actually it was way past time. Should have done it in 2003. At that point we had a chance to keep BC, and develop a northeastern conference that could have put together its own tv deals, expand if it needed to, possibly even become a competitor with the ACC as the 5th BCS conference. should have done it in 2010, though it would have been tougher, but still had a chance to put togehter a tv deal tht would have been attractive for keeping the league together. We just need to stop using the basketball schools as a crutch. The Big East (or whatever you call it) needs to go forward and develop a serious conference or not as a group of schools. You can always come up with an excuse to stay with the hoop schools, but if you do, you'll never ever have a shot at developing any stability. You'll always have two agendas. Never have an identity.

Given that we told Aresco we quit, and then didn't, maybe now isn't the time to think the league is going to redesign itself just because fans here would like it.

Just sayin

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Per the news today on the Big East bleeding, I think we need to make a proposition. The basketball schools currently have a limited window where they can dissolve the Big East by themselves, since they have the votes. It appears that the brand name and MSG contract are valued.

My suggestion to UConn, USF and Cinci, is to enter into a deal where those three schools are compensated for effectively leaving the league, and "selling" the name back to the basketball schools. Then the hoop schools can go after all the good Catholic schools out there (Gonzaga is too far), Creighton, St. Louis, Dayton, St. Joes, Xavier, LaSalle....whoever they want.

We could reform an all sports league with Uconn, USF, UCF, Tulane, Cincy, SDSU, Houston, Temple, Memphis, and SMU. Immediate targets should include Tulsa, New Mexico and Nevada all in. I'd leave Boise and ECU as football only. It sucks, but I don't see any better options.

Reaction Score
I thought Fishy was going to teach reading comprehension to y'all.

The Point ... WE (BE) have one thing we can leverage & it exists at a time that there still is huge money for sports content.

If we become the National Basketball league, easily accomplished by picking up a handful of non-cartel schools, we then can get a decent dollar amount for football. And fight another day at UConn. Capture UNLV, SD State, New Mexico, BYU, Gonzaga ... You've married the BE traditional BB with virtually all the West that matters. A Creighton & St Louis adds two markets that makes the BE solid in the middle. You won't be able to be ignored.

Football follows on a National platform. You're not mid-major like CUSA or MAC. You've got some juice.

At this point, I want to hold onto playing Georgetown.

Reaction Score
Given that we told Aresco we quit, and then didn't, maybe now isn't the time to think the league is going to redesign itself just because fans here would like it.

Just sayin
Didn't say it would, any more than its adding Gonzaga and Creighton for basketball. I'm just saying that this split personality has clearly not worked. What's that saying about doing the same thing over and over expecting different results? Being in the best basketball league is, as I've said before, a little like making the best typewriter, or at least the best desktop computer. better than being the worst basketball league, but not that great.

Reaction Score

Just sayin

What do we know was communicated to Aresco? All just speculation.

As the days pass since last weeks announcement, the decision is obvious to me. And, it's obvious that the ACC is heading to greater problems. The curse of ND.

UConn has to just thing bold & keep pushing on. Our markets & our success will drive us to a better place. We did work out of trailers - you know.

Reaction Score
Here's the problem with Pudge's way of looking at things (maybe bl's too). We keep assuming that basketball is going to save us, but at the end of the day, a 3 time national basketball champion is left in the big East while programs that we are significantly superior to end up in better leagues. And we're going to be in yet another basketball dominated conference? Look, I have no idea if the Big Leftoveer football schools can ultimately develop as a serious all-sports league. Any basketball league with UConn Temple, Cincinnati and Memphis will not be dreadful at any rate. There would clearly need to be a commitment by everyone to make football a priority. But get some ranked teams, some upsets of majors and some exciting games and who knows...but we know that being in the "best baksetball" league hasn't worked for UConn.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
i would rather play gonzaga in bball and our fball team just scrimage at the rent then play tulane in both sports

Show a little kindness toward Tulane. Their prez is a UConn guy, graduated a year after me, in the Dark Ages.

Reaction Score
The BIg East Basketball has worked for UConn. The fact that many don't like this hybrid agenda doesn't change that fact. We have done well with this conference & there's no alternative lucrative invitation.

I've watched the musings about pushing out the basketball playing Catholics. To what end? We were never going to be the predator conference; and now, with joy, we'll watch the ACC bigheads get eaten. There is more reason today to stick with Georgetown et al.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom