The AP Preseason Poll also Puts UConn at #6. | The Boneyard

The AP Preseason Poll also Puts UConn at #6.

Reaction Score
SC is #1 -- no surprise there. "Stanford, Texas, Iowa and Tennessee round out the top five teams in the preseason poll."

I saw this list and the first thought that occurred to me was "This could be the quickest fall ever for Iowa or Texas, if we win our November OOC games." In fact, I suspect Tennessee would drop below us if that happened. And what of Stanford, who has scheduled almost no ranked opponents -- would they be able to hang on to their ranking if they lose to SC while we beat 3 ranked teams in November, and 3 more in December?

Could be embarrassing for the rankings gurus.

Reaction Score
This seems like an attempt by ESPN to bill up and promote the women's college BB game to justify its asking price for commercial spots. If you devalue Uconn and make them seem less of a dominant team where the other programs have a real shot then it's a brilliant marketing move to build up interest in other parts of the country but real basketball fans know that even without Paige Uconn is loaded and the only threat to them is SC and Stanford which means they should be no lower than a 3 and possibly 2. I guess this is great for the fans but at Uconn, it's not the preseason poll that matters it's the final poll that matters and I predict Uconn will be higher than 6 and hopefully number 1...that's the plan

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
In all honesty, if any other team graduated 3 starters and had their best player out for the season we would all be complaining that they were ranked too highly. It’s a testament to Geno, his coaching staff and the 11 healthy players on the roster that UConn is ranked 6th.

The one thing we can all be certain of is that the rankings will change once the season starts. The Huskies at 6th is fine right now.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
In all honesty, if any other team graduated 3 starters and had their best player out for the season we would all be complaining that they were ranked too highly. It’s a testament to Geno, his coaching staff and the 11 healthy players on the roster that UConn is ranked 6th.

The one thing we can all be certain of is that the rankings will change once the season starts. The Huskies at 6th is fine right now.
where did someone come up with the idea of addition by subtraction? maybe it applies at uconn this year.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
This seems like an attempt by ESPN to bill up and promote the women's college BB game to justify its asking price for commercial spots. If you devalue Uconn and make them seem less of a dominant team where the other programs have a real shot then it's a brilliant marketing move to build up interest in other parts of the country but real basketball fans know that even without Paige Uconn is loaded and the only threat to them is SC and Stanford which means they should be no lower than a 3 and possibly 2. I guess this is great for the fans but at Uconn, it's not the preseason poll that matters it's the final poll that matters and I predict Uconn will be higher than 6 and hopefully number 1...that's the plan
Not a big fan of talking about UConn bias or snubs but this one raised an eyebrow or 2. Commentary on the AP poll teams and she must have covered more than half the teams but the host could not even acknowledge UConn.

Reaction Score
Not a big fan of talking about UConn bias or snubs but this one raised an eyebrow or 2. Commentary on the AP poll teams and she must have covered more than half the teams but the host could not even acknowledge UConn.

I too found that totally unacceptable. She mentioned UCONN a couple times, but only when talking about other teams play from last year. She never mentioned UCONN's preseason ranking...and i believe she mentioned every other top 10 team atleast. What was she thinking????

Reaction Score
Hahaha!!! Autumn Johnson can’t even bring herself to mention UConn. Typical for her. But I get it — ranking #6 isn’t a snub exactly. What makes me really laugh is how much unthinking optimism is stuffed into the idea that having a bunch of transfers will mean instant success for some teams. Tennessee is a case in point: when she said “Last year they were long, this year they’ll be even longer,” I couldn’t help thinking “Last year they were slow, this year they’ll be even slower.”

sun

Reaction Score
I like the comment by the CBS Sports writer Isabel Gonzalez:

"The UConn Huskies are No. 6. They took a big hit when star player Paige Bueckers tore her ACL, but Geno Auriemma's squad is still expected to stay competitive."

Directly underneath the rankings they ran the story about Paige becoming UConn's student assistant "Coach P."

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score

Not only this, but UConn has so many players coming off injuries and surgeries. They remain question marks until proven otherwise. Of course we all hope they all come back 100%, but you never can be sure until proven.

Reaction Score
Again, if they roll through the ranked opponents, on Dec. 12 they will be #2 . S.C. loss during that time, they're #1.

Reaction Score
Not only this, but UConn has so many players coming off injuries and surgeries. They remain question marks until proven otherwise. Of course we all hope they all come back 100%, but you never can be sure until proven.
Schroedingers Cat?
We won’t know until the box is opened.

Reaction Score
The first six weeks of the WBB season will be the true shakedown
cruise. I don't even believe that the 10 ten schools will even
be just a shuffle. Who will be the biggest surprise going UP?
With a few notable schools "ducking" tough competition in
the early season, I am voting with those who rely on
the NCAA tournament to choose who is # 1!! I hope to
sit back for the early season and Big East season and
then cross my fingers for a huge " Everyone Eats" March
and April. But.... I'm hungry already!!!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

C'mon guys. Do we really give a rat's @#$ about what other people think about our team? We know more about our team than they do. I guarnatee you that no one will give any creedence to this poll after the 2nd week of the season. Water ALWAYS seeks its own level, and it will in this case. The cream ALWAYS rises to the top. ;) The results of the Texas (ranked a top 5 team) game will tell the world what kind of team we have.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Schroedingers Cat?
We won’t know until the box is opened.
Heisenberg and Schroedinger are out for a drive. Heisenberg sees flashers behind him and pulls over. The cop pulls over and walks up to the driver's side of the physicists' car. He asks Heisenberg, "You know how fast you were going?"

Heisenberg replies, "No, but I know where I am."

The cop says, "You were doing 50 in a 30 mile zone."

Heisenberg: "Great, now I'm lost"

The cop thinks Heisenberg is messing with him. He says, "Okay, pop the trunk open." He walks back there, gasps, and comes back to the window. "Do you know you have a dead cat in your trunk?"

Schroedinger says, "Well, NOW he's dead."

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Heisenberg and Schroedinger are out for a drive. Heisenberg sees flashers behind him and pulls over. The cop pulls over and walks up to the driver's side of the physicists' car. He asks Heisenberg, "You know how fast you were going?"

Heisenberg replies, "No, but I know where I am."

The cop says, "You were doing 50 in a 30 mile zone."

Heisenberg: "Great, now I'm lost"

The cop thinks Heisenberg is messing with him. He says, "Okay, pop the trunk open." He walks back there, gasps, and comes back to the window. "Do you know you have a dead cat in your trunk?"

Schroedinger says, "Well, NOW he's dead."
That is very cute ☺️

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score

UConn lost ballpark half their minutes and half of their scoring from last year.

Texas lost between a third and half their minutes and scoring from last year.

Stanford lost about half their minutes and a third of their scoring.

UConn lost a lot, but about as much or not much more than teams that have held steady or moved up.

Reaction Score
I too found that totally unacceptable. She mentioned UCONN a couple times, but only when talking about other teams play from last year. She never mentioned UCONN's preseason ranking...and i believe she mentioned every other top 10 team atleast. What was she thinking????

I think it's a combination of "UConn gets all the attention all year" with a dash of "giving everyone else a chance". They want all the fans in all those top teams to get excited about the season. UConn fans are always excited. One way or the other. ;)

Just more wallpaper.

Reaction Score
UConn lost ballpark half their minutes and half of their scoring from last year.

Texas lost between a third and half their minutes and scoring from last year.

Stanford lost about half their minutes and a third of their scoring.

UConn lost a lot, but about as much or not much more than teams that have held steady or moved up.

In a lot of years UConn's short roster would be hurting losing three seniors. Due to the injuries it didn't show but UConn was very deep last season. There was a glimpse in a game after Bueckers came back and Geno played a nine man rotation.

The three seniors took a lot of shots and played a lot of minutes but all of the best shooters/scorers returned this season. Muhl & Edwards started as freshmen and are juniors. Fudd & Ducharme, between injuries, each starred in games as freshmen. Griffin has 2 years and LLS has 4. Both LLS and Juhasz are all-conference grad players looking to have professional careers.

There is no shortage of experience. And they have talent coming out the wazoo. All they need is to gel, and that's what the players were saying Tuesday.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom