The Answer: “No” | The Boneyard

The Answer: “No”

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Edsall didn't sell enough cupcakes, I guess. Next year we know to hit the couch cushions earlier.

Embarrassing.

JCSuperstar

Garbage Time All Star
Reaction Score
Rock bottom is when Edsall leaves UConn for his second dream job...at East Carolina.
The school only finds out when he doesn't take the non-chartered CTFastTrack from East Hartford back to Storrs with the rest of the team/commuters.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Rock bottom is when Edsall leaves UConn for his second dream job...at East Carolina.

I was on our local reddit forum and there's a Pittsburgher who's a Cincy alum I was chatting with. Not only did he suggest we need to drop football due to finances, but also that we can't compete in AAC, BE doesn't want us, so maybe our best shot at relevance would be A10. I didn't realize that Cincy's endowments are 3x ours and their enrollment is higher. How can that be?

This was all laughable a few years ago. But if things don't get better really soon...

Reaction Score
I was on our local reddit forum and there's a Pittsburgher who's a Cincy alum I was chatting with. Not only did he suggest we need to drop football due to finances, but also that we can't compete in AAC, BE doesn't want us, so maybe our best shot at relevance would be A10. I didn't realize that Cincy's endowments are 3x ours and their enrollment is higher. How can that be?

This was all laughable a few years ago. But if things don't get better really soon...

Only after Cincy starts declining their NCAA tourney bids. They simply can't compete in March.

Dooley

Reaction Score

Cincinnati has a >$1B endowment. Their AD budget is about $15M less than ours BUT they devote most of their money to the top 2 revenue sports like a smart school/AD. If they're able to parlay that into a Big 12 or ACC invite, then kudos to them. A few years ago and a few dumpster fire football and MBB seasons ago, we were in pretty decent shape.

We still have the markets, fanbase size, brand, academics, etc but, admittedly, our top 2 revenue sports programs are scuffling and the negative momentum is dropping our profile on any potential P5 list, IMO. There's still time to fix both but we really need to cut spending on any sport that isn't football or MBB and get serious about ourselves. Even if there is no P5 conference invite, we need to boost MBB and football to feel good about cashing our AAC checks in the coming years. We are an AAC deadweight right now. No way around it.

Reaction Score

The endowment thing is a significant issue. The enrollment is understandable because it's in a much bigger state, is much less selective, and is largely still a commuter school.

Reaction Score
Endowments rest with the large number of old and selective private schools in New England. There is no other region like ours in that regard. Our endowment is low considering our former profile, but fairly good compared to land grants in this region. We are a small state, but UConn's endowment is larger than Umass Amherst, U New Hampshire, U Rhode Island. Shockingly, University of Vermont's is slightly larger.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Just posted this on the Dunn thread before I saw this one
Every time you think this program has hit rock bottom they shockingly find a new bottom. It honestly blows my mind. Nothing surprises me anymore with this program. This is a bottomless pit of destruction and there is no rock bottom or way out....

Reaction Score
I always considered UVM as more of a "private" school. Look at the cost to attend UVM! They don't get much state money. Probably #50 out of 50 state land grant U's.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Endowments rest with the large number of old and selective private schools in New England. There is no other region like ours in that regard. Our endowment is low considering our former profile, but fairly good compared to land grants in this region. We are a small state, but UConn's endowment is larger than Umass Amherst, U New Hampshire, U Rhode Island. Shockingly, University of Vermont's is slightly larger.

I can understand Yale having a huge endowment. But Quinnipiac and Wesleyan bigger than ours?

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I'm getting to the point of having to just refrain from following the program. I love UConn football. I was seven years old when we beat Indiana in our first game at the Rent. I was there, and remember watching excitedly when Caulley made Sports Center Top 10 for his play where he broke ten tackles in that game. I continued to follow during the lean years. These are no longer lean years, but criminal mismanagement. I refuse to endorse it any longer. I am as die hard as a fan can get, and they're even driving me away. It's honestly just sad.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I’m still young and everyone I know is still paying off student loans, forget donating to the school.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I'm getting to the point of having to just refrain from following the program. I love UConn football. I was seven years old when we beat Indiana in our first game at the Rent. I was there, and remember watching excitedly when Caulley made Sports Center Top 10 for his play where he broke ten tackles in that game. I continued to follow during the lean years. These are no longer lean years, but criminal mismanagement. I refuse to endorse it any longer. I am as die hard as a fan can get, and they're even driving me away. It's honestly just sad.
This.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Unfortunately I am starting to feel the same way. Can’t deal with the gut punches anymore.

Dooley

Reaction Score

You summarized my feelings perfectly. Makes me sad to see where UConn is today compared to what could have been.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom