The American: 2015-2016 | The Boneyard

The American: 2015-2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So, while none of us are really thrilled to be in this conference, we need these teams to get better and I think some have a shot at doing so. After UCONN and USF, which teams have rosters back that will help them be competitive and which teams have a legit shot at making the NCAA tournament. I think Temple and East Carolina probably have the best shots. Who else?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Tulsa and Tulane. Tulane actually made the NCAA's this past year and Tulsa, ECU and Temple all had at least a little success in the NIT (I think Temple went the furthest - making the semis and losing to WVU)...

Reaction Score
If we are stuck here in the American long-term, (and it appears to me that we are) isn't it possible that half a dozen teams will benefit in recruiting by having Uconn in its league? Especially the southern teams where there is a great amount of local talent.

After wailing with everyone else about how discouraging it has been for UCONN to be trapped in a dreadful conference, I'm beginning to think that we may be able to drag the league up to a higher level.

Am I delusional?

Reaction Score
Not delusional, but these schools have to invest in their WBB programs for it to happen. UCF certainly seems like the school with the most going for it athletically, but they need to put some "stuff" into their basketball programs.

Reaction Score
If we are stuck here in the American long-term, (and it appears to me that we are) isn't it possible that half a dozen teams will benefit in recruiting by having Uconn in its league? Especially the southern teams where there is a great amount of local talent.

After wailing with everyone else about how discouraging it has been for UCONN to be trapped in a dreadful conference, I'm beginning to think that we may be able to drag the league up to a higher level.

Am I delusional?
I don't think you're delusional. It's a bit of a long shot, but the leap we're hoping for the American to make isn't that much more than the leap the Big East made from the 80s.

Reaction Score
Except for UCONN none of the teams got a high ranked recruit this year. I don't see where we had an impact so far.

Reaction Score
The Big East didn't become the "Big East" over night or even after a couple of years. Impact takes time, and it will take time.

Reaction Score
By the time the AAC is a competitive group other than possibly USF and Tulane , Uconn will have moved onto another conference. It's all about football and UConn made a move by hiring Diaco. Let's hope that the football team can be successful and get out of this terrible conference. It may take five to ten years for another conference offer but honestly East Carolina and Temple will never be consistently competitive. It's all about recruits and none of the other teams in the AAC have any new blood that gets me excited this year. UConn will dominate and continue to win with no competition. It's a little depressing for us season ticket holders but expect more fifty point blowouts.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
As strong as UConn is, I fully expect the Huskies' games in the American to be analogous to this next season:

Unless USF turns into UConn's relationship with Villanova in 2003...

Reaction Score
Houston, one of the worst programs in the AAC, just opened a new $32 million practice facility that seems to be a clone of UConn's. It won't change things overnight but it shows recruits that the school is taking basketball seriously again and maybe attempting to recreate Phi Slama Jama.

Reaction Score
I think UConn's conference will improve one way or another in the next few years. The only reason teams in other conferences look better is they don't get their butts kicked by Uconn twice a year, if we were in any other conference 10 would still be the smallest margin of victory. Maybe when our bench would not outplay the starters of the p5 teams as much as they did aac teams. Even without a bunch of high profile recruits the aac can still improve if the coaches can develop players which is something certain teams loaded with top recruits have shown they can't do.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Houston, one of the worst programs in the AAC, just opened a new $32 million practice facility that seems to be a clone of UConn's. It won't change things overnight but it shows recruits that the school is taking basketball seriously again and maybe attempting to recreate Phi Slama Jama.

Improvement of facilities (practice and game) is a sound first step toward excellence on the court in intercollegiate competition. It sends a positive signal to recruits and fans alike. Louisville is a great example of how a great, fan-friendly arena can have a positive effect on its wcbb program.

The hire of a dynamic coach is the other vital early step to signal an administration's commitment to wcbb. Louisville not only hired Jeff Walz, but clearly gave him a generous recruiting budget so he can recruit nationally, which he has done.

I'll go out on a limb and project Pitt as an up-and-coming program. They have superb facilities, a talented young coach, a new AD, and a new chancellor who seems to be committed to Pitt sports excellence. Bears watching (though not in AAC).

Let's also keep an eye on Houston and SMU.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Improvement of facilities (practice and game) is a sound first step toward excellence on the court in intercollegiate competition. It sends a positive signal to recruits and fans alike. Louisville is a great example of how a great, fan-friendly arena can have a positive effect on its wcbb program.

The hire of a dynamic coach is the other vital early step to signal an administration's commitment to wcbb. Louisville not only hired Jeff Walz, but clearly gave him a generous recruiting budget so he can recruit nationally, which he has done.

I'll go out on a limb and project Pitt as an up-and-coming program. They have superb facilities, a talented young coach, a new AD, and a new chancellor who seems to be committed to Pitt sports excellence. Bears watching (though not in AAC).

Let's also keep an eye on Houston and SMU.
Pitt made their move some years ago, when they built the Peterson Center and hired the GTech coach, although that didn't work out. Yes, probably up and coming would describe it.

As to Houston and SMU - Houston as Ron Hughey. Didn't care for him during his year as an assistant at RU, but I will say he seemed passionate and he certainly coached a number of places. SMU needs to replace Rhonda Rhompola for long term success, I think. Both Houston (under the late Joe Curl) and SMU under RR had mid-major success at times, as did most of the teams in the American. The problem is that, without the football revenue of a P5 conference, it is going to be difficult for them to exceed a "mid-major" level of success. Schools like UCF have put a lot of dollars into their athletics, but without mega-football payouts. . .

I happen to think one of the best things that could happen for the American is for someone (it doesn't have to be UConn) to have enough football success to consistently grab a spot in the championship series (whatever they call it). This year, it was Boise, who beat my Arizona Wildcats at the Fiesta Bowl.

Reaction Score
I think it would be ECU with that mysterious Berlin Wall of team managers blocking the view from opposing coaches stealing the in-game plan!

Reaction Score
So, while none of us are really thrilled to be in this conference, we need these teams to get better and I think some have a shot at doing so. After UCONN and USF, which teams have rosters back that will help them be competitive and which teams have a legit shot at making the NCAA tournament. I think Temple and East Carolina probably have the best shots. Who else?
Remember this is about OPINIONs and like body parts everyone has one---I like the prospects of Tulane and Houston---maybe because I remember Hayes (mens team) and Lou Alcindor (Kareem)

Reaction Score
I think UConn's conference will improve one way or another in the next few years. The only reason teams in other conferences look better is they don't get their butts kicked by Uconn twice a year, if we were in any other conference 10 would still be the smallest margin of victory. Maybe when our bench would not outplay the starters of the p5 teams as much as they did aac teams. Even without a bunch of high profile recruits the aac can still improve if the coaches can develop players which is something certain teams loaded with top recruits have shown they can't do.
If there is one thing that SHOULD motivate AD's Administrations to better fund WBB it's getting WHOPPED by Uconn twice each year--if the SKOOL isn't embarrassed by that--they have no pride at all. I like your comment Husky..

Reaction Score
I think it would be ECU with that mysterious Berlin Wall of team managers blocking the view from opposing coaches stealing the in-game plan!
Well you read about Brady---maybe Shea is deflating the BB for better rebounding, and Gabby is watching for hand signals, I saw Pulido whispering to Stewie as one of the ECU players was making a drive towards the basket--what did she say? what did she know??

Reaction Score
Except for UCONN none of the teams got a high ranked recruit this year. I don't see where we had an impact so far.
Remember the first few years of Christine and Geno run for the Championships they scratched for recruits just below the radar. If the AAC College administrations have any pride they will work to compete.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Remember this is about OPINIONs and like body parts everyone has one---I like the prospects of Tulane and Houston---maybe because I remember Hayes (mens team) and Lou Alcindor (Kareem)

psst. Alcindor/Kareem played at UCLA.

Reaction Score

Am I delusional?
What damage to UConn Women's basketball has happen by being in the AAC? A few nasty comments from opponents, or media bubble heads have been heard. Uconn ran thru the AAC and Out of Conference teams as it would have run thru the Big East these past two/three years. Uconn WBB has shown the world it's not the league you are in ---it's the quality of the Husky Team that counts. To me it's no big deal, except if you like Football.

Reaction Score
psst. Alcindor/Kareem played at UCLA.

Shouldn't it be either Alcindor/Abdul-Jabbar or Lew/Kareem? His birth name was Ferdinand Lewis Alcindor, Jr. but was alwats referred to as Lew.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Can it get any worse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads