The All Time Women's College Basketball Starting 5 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The All Time Women's College Basketball Starting 5

Reaction Score
:eek: Does anyone know who Cynthia Fowles suited up for?

I think it was Southwest Louisiana State University. Didn't you hear about their national Championship in 2009? Absolutely thrashed everyone in their path. It was an incredible team with Candice Parker, Sue Byrd, Lynsey Whalen all starting along with Cynthia. Nobody in the Unified States of Americana could beat them.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Err. I think you have the facts wrong. In 2008, the player of the year awards were split between Candace Parker and Candice Wiggins. Ice beat Ace to the Wade Player of the Year Trophy. The Naismith, Wooden, and the AP Player of the Year went to Ace. Maya was runner up for the Wooden Award, but not the others AFAIK. Maya may be great, but she didn't win the AP POY in 2010, as that went to Tina Charles -- so there's some dispute as to whether she was the POY every year since 2008. If you're specifying a particular award, great.

UConn fans often throw out the team results as an indicator of an individual players superiority. I think that's fantastic, but a team with some combination of Maya Moore, Tina Charles, Tiffany Hayes, and Kelly Faris, Stefanie Dolson, and Bria Hartley should win a majority of their games. While I do evaluate what a team has done, how do you judge what Candice Wiggins did at Stanford during the tournament dropping 40+ points on multiple teams? I believe she remains the only player to do so in NCAA History.
I would tend to discount it because that run did not result in a Championship. Wiggins had great career numbers but I would put these two players (Ruth Riley & Sophia Young) with comparable career numbers ahead of her because each had a run that resulted in a championship.

Reaction Score
2nd Team: Lindsay Whalen PG, Cherly Swoopes SG, Maya Moore SF, Candace Parker PF, Lisa Leslie C
3rd Team Ann Meyers PG, Cynthia Cooper SG, Tamika Catchings SF Chamique Holdsclaw PF Sylvia Fowles C.
4th Team Nancy Lieberman PG, Nykesha Sales SG, Simone Agustus SF, Tina Thompson PF, Tina Charles C
5th Team. Moriah Jefferson PG Sabrina Ionescu SG EDD SF, Katrina McClain PF, Anne Donavon C
Like your 20 additional players. Still I wonder if you think your point guard needs to make assists. The only players who made over 1000 assists was your 4th teamer Lieberman (1165) and your 5th team shooting guard, SI (1095). Whalen your 2nd team PG had 576 assists and Meyer your 3rd team PG had only 543 assists, less than 1/2 of how many Sabrina had.

I do get you have Bird & MoJeff as PG's. Still I don't get why you wouldn't put Sabrina in the PG category given she's a 3 time Lieberman award winner like Bird. I guess maybe you think she a shooting guard since she scored more points than all 5 of those PGs along with the fact she came up with 1.040 rebounds during her college career.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Err. I think you have the facts wrong. In 2008, the player of the year awards were split between Candace Parker and Candice Wiggins. Ice beat Ace to the Wade Player of the Year Trophy. The Naismith, Wooden, and the AP Player of the Year went to Ace. Maya was runner up for the Wooden Award, but not the others AFAIK. Maya may be great, but she didn't win the AP POY in 2010, as that went to Tina Charles -- so there's some dispute as to whether she was the POY every year since 2008. If you're specifying a particular award, great.

UConn fans often throw out the team results as an indicator of an individual players superiority. I think that's fantastic, but a team with some combination of Maya Moore, Tina Charles, Tiffany Hayes, and Kelly Faris, Stefanie Dolson, and Bria Hartley should win a majority of their games. While I do evaluate what a team has done, how do you judge what Candice Wiggins did at Stanford during the tournament dropping 40+ points on multiple teams? I believe she remains the only player to do so in NCAA History.

Moore was runner up for AP POY in 2008 to Parker, ahead of Wiggins. Maya won the Wade and Honda award in 2010. She's the only 3x Wade winner.

Maya in 2011 had such a young and inexperienced supporting cast. Dolson/Hartley were shells of the players they'd become. Same with Faris and Hayes for that matter. Stanford's cast of Appel/Pederson/Nneka/Chiney was far more balanced and stronger than UCONN's. Moore put that team on her back.

In 2008 Wiggins had a comparable supporting cast to Maya's. In the Final Four game, her teammates were far better than Maya's. Renee Montgomery played very poorly that game, taking bad shots and shooting just 4-18. Jayne Appel also badly outplayed Tina Charles. Kayla Pederson was better than anyone Maya had on her team. It wasnt until the next season that Charles/Montgomery became great players.

Wiggins had a great tournament run in 2008 until the title game where she struggled. I personally didnt think Wiggins had any business being the Wade winner that season over Parker, but that's a different tangent. Eye test, stats, and team results all make Moore an absolute lock for 1st team all time IMO, even if you need to switch players around to make room.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Like your 20 additional players. Still I wonder if you think your point guard needs to make assists. The only players who made over 1000 assists was your 4th teamer Lieberman (1165) and your 5th team shooting guard, SI (1095). Whalen your 2nd team PG had 576 assists and Meyer your 3rd team PG had only 543 assists.

I do get you have Bird & MoJeff as PG's. Still I don't get why you wouldn't put Sabrina in the PG category given she's a 3 time Lieberman award winner like Bird. I guess maybe you think she a shooting guard since she scored more points than all 5 of those PGs along with the fact she came up with 1.040 rebounds during her college career.
That's what I call creative positional stretching. :D. Bird would not have been my 1st team PG and Sabrina might have been. I think Bird always get a boost mostly because of what she did (still doing) after UCONN in Europe, WNBA and Olympics. If I lock Sabrina into the PG position I'm not sure she makes out significantly better. Sabrina has won three consecutive awards that was named after the person I have ranked ahead of her. Sue also won that award three times and Sabrina could not impact both sides of the court they way that Moriah Jefferson did being NDPOY.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Like your 20 additional players. Still I wonder if you think your point guard needs to make assists. The only players who made over 1000 assists was your 4th teamer Lieberman (1165) and your 5th team shooting guard, SI (1095). Whalen your 2nd team PG had 576 assists and Meyer your 3rd team PG had only 543 assists.

Question...how many of these players have you seen play? Stats are nice but assists arent necessarily the indication of a great point guard. Someone averaging 8 assists per game doesnt make them a better PG than someone who averaged 5 per game. And in regards to career numbers, Whalen played in 30 fewer games over her career than Ionescu and 42 fewer games than Moriah Jefferson due to injury and scheduling.

Reaction Score
Question...how many of these players have you seen play? Stats are nice but assists arent necessarily the indication of a great point guard. Someone averaging 8 assists per game doesnt make them a better PG than someone who averaged 5 per game. And in regards to career numbers, Whalen played in 30 fewer games over her career than Ionescu and 42 fewer games than Moriah Jefferson due to injury and scheduling.
All of them, at least on TV. I saw most of them in college games, but certainly in the Olympics and WNBA. I specifically remember watching Old Dominion with Lieberman and Donovan as well as UCLA with Meyers and USC with Miller.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Stewart; then, several to choose from

Reaction Score
2nd Team: Lindsay Whalen PG, Cherly Swoopes SG, Maya Moore SF, Candace Parker PF, Lisa Leslie C
3rd Team Ann Meyers PG, Cynthia Cooper SG, Tamika Catchings SF Chamique Holdsclaw PF Sylvia Fowles C.
4th Team Nancy Lieberman PG, Nykesha Sales SG, Simone Agustus SF, Tina Thompson PF, Tina Charles C
5th Team. Moriah Jefferson PG Sabrina Ionescu SG EDD SF, Katrina McClain PF, Anne Donavon C
Each of those squads are fire!!!!

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
While it is really immaterial with all the fine names mentioned, I don't think you can name point guards without mentioning Ticha Penichero. I did see her play in college (live) although I suppose she is most familiar to folks from her pro career. A proto-type "non-scoring" point guard. Although she could score if she wanted to, at least when she was younger.

Reaction Score
My second team by position- Point Guard- Nancy Lieberman. Shooting guard- Maya Moore( she can play this position on this team and gets the nod over Lynette Woodard who could play this position or the 3) . Small forward- Chamique Holdsclaw. Power forward- Candace Parker. Center- Anne Donovan. The center position is really difficult with Lisa Leslie, Sylvia Fowles and Tina Charles. I'm going for Anne Donovan with a slight edge over Tina Charles because she was the first great big center.

Reaction Score

Bye! Candice Wiggins ALSO played in the Pac-10 when it was as soft as butter. This is the most comical thing I've read during the quarantine. I thought Stanford people were smarter than this?

Reaction Score
Sabrina will have to prove as a pro she's better than Becky Hammon. Plus, those who can't see Candice Parker on the second team are just wrong.
Candace had a much better college career than Sylvia. No love for old school players? Ann Donavan and Ann Meyers come to mind but it is hard to place them because you never saw them

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Candace had a much better college career than Sylvia. No love for old school players? Ann Donavan and Ann Meyers come to mind but it is hard to place them because you never saw them
I saw them and in my opinion neither could stand up to Candace one on one, in a game of horse, or on the court. Both were better announcers though.

JordyG

Reaction Score
My second team by position- Point Guard- Nancy Lieberman. Shooting guard- Maya Moore( she can play this position on this team and gets the nod over Lynette Woodard who could play this position or the 3) . Small forward- Chamique Holdsclaw. Power forward- Candace Parker. Center- Anne Donovan. The center position is really difficult with Lisa Leslie, Sylvia Fowles and Tina Charles. I'm going for Anne Donovan with a slight edge over Tina Charles because she was the first great big center.
I'll take Leslie over Donovan any day, any time. Whalen and Lieberman to me are tossups. Those who never saw Nancy play really missed something. She was a baller.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I think one of the NCAA's shames, among a long list of great "shame on you's", is their neglect in including every AIAW champion. Those kids could play, and they deserve to be acknowledged. Their exclusion is a travesty.

Reaction Score
A greater neglect was that shown to Ora Mae Washington, who dominated tennis and basketball during the 1920s and 1930s. Her team, the Philadelphia Tribune Girls won 11 national championships between 1932 AND 1942. Earlier, she won multiple doubles and singles tennis championship. She was inducted into the Hall of Fame for basketball in 2018. She didn't receive the deserved recognition because she was black. The tennis champion everyone knows, Helen Wills Moody, would never agree to play against her because of her race. Ora Washington may have been the greatest woman athlete of all time. I can't find any recordings of her playing either tennis or basketball

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
A greater neglect was that shown to Ora Mae Washington, who dominated tennis and basketball during the 1920s and 1930s. Her team, the Philadelphia Tribune Girls won 11 national championships between 1932 AND 1942. Earlier, she won multiple doubles and singles tennis championship. She was inducted into the Hall of Fame for basketball in 2018. She didn't receive the deserved recognition because she was black. The tennis champion everyone knows, Helen Wills Moody, would never agree to play against her because of her race. Ora Washington may have been the greatest woman athlete of all time. I can't find any recordings of her playing either tennis or basketball

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom