The all things Boyle Merged Thread | The Boneyard

The all things Boyle Merged Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The Diaco audio suggests that its the smarts which is not ready yet. It's not intelligence, Tim has that and then some, it's his current ability to understand what he is seeing, adding knowledge, process the information and make a decision in seconds. Oh and while this is going on 4-6 or more really big fast guys are trying to put a hurt on you. Not every physically gifted qb can do this.

Reaction Score
The Diaco audio suggests that its the smarts which is not ready yet. It's not intelligence, Tim has that and then some, it's his current ability to understand what he is seeing, adding knowledge, process the information and make a decision in seconds. Oh and while this is going on 4-6 or more really big fast guys are trying to put a hurt on you. Not every physically gifted qb can do this.

Wisdom.....

Reaction Score
I could not agree more...listen the funny thing is everyone makes a Big Deal about last yr which is ludicrous. He was on Campus for 2 months before he got thrown into the toughest part of the schedule on a team with no leadership and a lack of talent. Most of the True Freshman that play throughout the country enroll early in February to get acclimated with the system. As for this yr...Diacco would have prefered the red shirt not because he was the third best QB, it was to ensure he would be surrounded by more talent as a Senior...that is out the window now so hes gonna play and my guess is some ups and downs but a.much greater leap from Freshman to now.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Boyle has all the smarts and athleticism to be the best since Dan O. If Diaco plays him enough we win, period! The next great era of UConn football begins this week.
Thats not happening barring something really really bad - so we will wait until next year most likely-

"As expected, Chandler Whitmer remains the starter, no surprise there. Diaco did say, Tim Boyle will play, convincingly. He also said that the split between the two, will not be close to what we saw when Cochran was healthy.
Translation, the job is Chandler’s, unless one of two things happen. The first, he is completely unproductive, while the second, he suffers an injury, which he was uncomfortably asked several times about, following Diaco’s meeting with the media."

Reaction Score
Really a shame to see some posts really neglecting some basic facts on how Uconn has handled Boyle so far. For one this idea that he is what he is based off last year is totally unfair. PP was desperate and didnt want too go down without playing him (public pressure)..how do you expect Boyle who had been on campus for 2 months nevermind adjusting to college life but now was expected to play against the best teams on the schedule! Your telling me people are going to judge Whitmer and Boyle on the same level...ridiculous and 13-27 for 142 against Stoneybrook while being painfully iinaccurate is just not the answer..and this is from a 5th yr senior. I guarantee that next time Boyle starts we wont see another QB for 3 yrs.

Reaction Score
Boyle should really benefit from last year's experience. He felt the pressure of the pass rush, having open receivers that he over threw, calling plays and not remembering all the receiver routes, defenses not honoring anything past 10 yards, etc. Not many true sophomores can call on that experience while trying to build a QB ready body and mind. Not sure where he is on the learning curve but Johnny Football had much less college level game experience when he came on the scene.
Getting 2 years plus 10 games out of one starting QB is exceptionally long for a college team, I'll take it.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
This must be the disappointment preparation area. Why do you do this to yourselves?

I hope he's Joe freggin Montana, but I'm not predicting it or rationalizing why he might be. Last week he was the distant 3rd stringer. What exactly has made him so much better?

Reaction Score
This must be the disappointment preparation area. Why do you do this to yourselves?

I hope he's Joe freggin Montana, but I'm not predicting it or rationalizing why he might be. Last week he was the distant 3rd stringer. What exactly has made him so much better?

God given talent. Diaco has stated that Boyle has the best tangibles. For starters he is 6-4 and can see over the rush. He is stronger and can run as well or better than Chandler, he has a better arm and is more accurate.

That's a pretty good starting point. Not that it means all that much but he was recruited by Notre Dame.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I actually do think he will be better than people are saying on here. I think BD is doing the right thing by not giving him too many reps against a tough opponent like Boise. But, I wouldn't be surprised as the season goes along and he builds confidence that he becomes the QB we thought he would be out of high school.

I think if he didn't have his red shirt year left, he would have been #2 behind Cochran. Now that he has to give up his red shirt, I wouldn't be surprised if he took over full time.

Reaction Score

I'd prefer if he was the baby of Tom Brady and Peyton Manning, trained in the art of throwing by Dan Marino, Joe Montana and John Elway.

Reaction Score
Here we are, debating the abilities of a true sophomore, who's 1 year plus to adjust to the speed of the FBS game, while other FBS teams start true freshmen with varying degrees of success. I'll say it again, once he enters a game, thereby throwing away his redshirt, the position should be his. If this season is designated a throwaway to indoctrinate the team into Coach Diaco's system, better to play the qb who will be here 2 more years so that he's ready to go Day 1 next season. There's nothing like game experience in a quarterback's education.

Reaction Score
Here we are, debating the abilities of a true sophomore, who's 1 year plus to adjust to the speed of the FBS game, while other FBS teams start true freshmen with varying degrees of success. I'll say it again, once he enters a game, thereby throwing away his redshirt, the position should be his. If this season is designated a throwaway to indoctrinate the team into Coach Diaco's system, better to play the qb who will be here 2 more years so that he's ready to go Day 1 next season. There's nothing like game experience in a quarterback's education.

That is very true. No substitute for game time reps. But the bottom line is the coaching staff has determined that Boyle is not good enough to start over Whitmer. We don't actually see practices. Boyle may have HUGE potential, but potential doesn't win games. You can develop a QB as a #2 on the roster, with practice reps and film, and mental reps and preparation. It's a discipline, that a guy like Orlovsky for example, if you're good enough, can make a long term NFL career out of. Then when you do eventually get the call, you're ready to help the team win, at that all important position. If we get to bowl game, that's 5 more weeks of reps for Mr. Boyle in practice preparation.

So, we are 1-1 with 10 games to play, not 0-4 and just got blown out by Buffalo. I'm not ready to throw in the towel, on the post season, and I'm sure as hell going to be pissed if I find out that I paid my donations, and bought my tickets for a season that we do not intend to compete to win. I'm not at that point yet, I hope never to be. I don't actually believe that Diaco doesn't intend to win this season. I think he's juggling between getting players experience and developing his system, at the same time as trying to win, and that's totally expected - he was just dumb to say the "preparatory phase" thing in the press. But he's new at this head coach and press scrutiny and fan scrutiny thing. I have no reason to doubt he'll improve there. That's got nothing to do with actual football though.

Whitmer has 17 career starts, and is 1-0 this season as a starter. I just don't understand why this guy, who has the tools to play the position, isn't being given the same opportunity as everybody else by the fans, to show that he can actually develop as a player, with decent coaching. Seniors, can develop too.

So, until we don't have the opportunity to get Boyle that extra month of practice reps, in preparation for next season, I see no reason to put him in the game at all. That's where I differ with what's going on - with what Diaco is actually doing, not just what he has said. I just don't agree with the 2 QB system. That doesn't mean it can't work, and so far we're 1-1 with it. I do see that as bad as we played against Stony Brook, we played only 1 QB and we won the game. Coincidence? maybe, maybe not. Whatever - it's Diaco's system, and hopefully it works.

In my world, Boyle would not be playing, and would be the #2 QB, in practice and preparation, if I had my call. But it's Diaco's plan, and a man went down, and the next one is stepping in. Period. The end.

Game time in 2 days + a few hours, and for me - I just want to see an offense get through the first quarter without turning it over twice, and then the team continue to play together, and with emotion and intensity to the end on O, D, K. Until we stop doing these massive substitutions patterns, we're simply not going to get the kind of improvement we need in the basics of blocking, tackling, team speed, timing etc. You can't practice for 20+, 30+ subsitutions in a game, during the week, and narrow down those fundamentals. Too much time spent on procedure execution in practices, to simply nail down the speed, timing, and precision of blocking and tackling in the game plans.

Which, that aspect of our team, on top of the basics of being a brotherhood, and family going to bat for each other, to Diaco's credit, has been excellent. The guy can coach, and I'm impatient with his plan to settle on a roster through the beginning of this season, and I don't agree with, but it doesn't mean it won't work, and can't work.

Reaction Score
That is very true. No substitute for game time reps. But the bottom line is the coaching staff has determined that Boyle is not good enough to start over Whitmer. We don't actually see practices. Boyle may have HUGE potential, but potential doesn't win games. You can develop a QB as a #2 on the roster, with practice reps and film, and mental reps and preparation. It's a discipline, that a guy like Orlovsky for example, if you're good enough, can make a long term NFL career out of. Then when you do eventually get the call, you're ready to help the team win, at that all important position. If we get to bowl game, that's 5 more weeks of reps for Mr. Boyle in practice preparation.

So, we are 1-1 with 10 games to play, not 0-4 and just got blown out by Buffalo. I'm not ready to throw in the towel, on the post season, and I'm sure as hell going to be pissed if I find out that I paid my donations, and bought my tickets for a season that we do not intend to compete to win. I'm not at that point yet, I hope never to be. I don't actually believe that Diaco doesn't intend to win this season. I think he's juggling between getting players experience and developing his system, at the same time as trying to win, and that's totally expected - he was just dumb to say the "preparatory phase" thing in the press. But he's new at this head coach and press scrutiny and fan scrutiny thing. I have no reason to doubt he'll improve there. That's got nothing to do with actual football though.

Whitmer has 17 career starts, and is 1-0 this season as a starter. I just don't understand why this guy, who has the tools to play the position, isn't being given the same opportunity as everybody else by the fans, to show that he can actually develop as a player, with decent coaching. Seniors, can develop too.

So, until we don't have the opportunity to get Boyle that extra month of practice reps, in preparation for next season, I see no reason to put him in the game at all. That's where I differ with what's going on - with what Diaco is actually doing, not just what he has said. I just don't agree with the 2 QB system. That doesn't mean it can't work, and so far we're 1-1 with it. I do see that as bad as we played against Stony Brook, we played only 1 QB and we won the game. Coincidence? maybe, maybe not. Whatever - it's Diaco's system, and hopefully it works.

In my world, Boyle would not be playing, and would be the #2 QB, in practice and preparation, if I had my call. But it's Diaco's plan, and a man went down, and the next one is stepping in. Period. The end.

Game time in 2 days + a few hours, and for me - I just want to see an offense get through the first quarter without turning it over twice, and then the team continue to play together, and with emotion and intensity to the end on O, D, K. Until we stop doing these massive substitutions patterns, we're simply not going to get the kind of improvement we need in the basics of blocking, tackling, team speed, timing etc. You can't practice for 20+, 30+ subsitutions in a game, during the week, and narrow down those fundamentals. Too much time spent on procedure execution in practices, to simply nail down the speed, timing, and precision of blocking and tackling in the game plans.

Which, that aspect of our team, on top of the basics of being a brotherhood, and family going to bat for each other, to Diaco's credit, has been excellent. The guy can coach, and I'm impatient with his plan to settle on a roster through the beginning of this season, and I don't agree with, but it doesn't mean it won't work, and can't work.

Dan, you've torpedoed your argument when you used Dan O. as an example. As a true freshman, he was put in the same position. The incumbent senior starter left during training camp due to bad hips, then Keron Henry went down with an injury, thereby throwing Dan into the fire as a true freshman. We've seen how that worked out. In fact, the Dan O. situation supports my line of thinking.
As to Whitmer, he's a known commodity: happy feet, interception machine, less than 50% pass completion percentage. Seniors May be able to develop, but I don't have any confidence that C.W. is one of them.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
Dan, you've torpedoed your argument when you used Dan O. as an example. As a true freshman, he was put in the same position. The incumbent senior starter left during training camp due to bad hips, then Keron Henry went down with an injury, thereby throwing Dan into the fire as a true freshman. We've seen how that worked out. In fact, the Dan O. situation supports my line of thinking.
As to Whitmer, he's a known commodity: happy feet, interception machine, less than 50% pass completion percentage. Seniors May be able to develop, but I don't have any confidence that C.W. is one of them.

I hope CW (the interception machine - he has zero so far) proves you wrong Coach - for UConn FB sake.

GO TEAM!!

Reaction Score
1) He hasn't thrown an interception this year

2) This is the first year his completion percentage has dropped below 50. I remember at least 3 drops, others have counted 4-5. If three of those drops are caught, his completion percentage against Stony Brook would have been 55%. If it was 5, 62.9%. He is over 50% for his career, not under50%.

3) having a mobile QB when the OL is suspect is a good thing. There are times he takes off too soon. There are other times where he turned nothing into something. Even after subtracting sacks, the running backs got 5 more carries than he did, and only picked up 2 more yards. Those scrambles help move the chains.

Last edited:

Bonehead

Reaction Score
Really a shame to see some posts really neglecting some basic facts on how Uconn has handled Boyle so far. For one this idea that he is what he is based off last year is totally unfair. PP was desperate and didnt want too go down without playing him (public pressure)..how do you expect Boyle who had been on campus for 2 months nevermind adjusting to college life but now was expected to play against the best teams on the schedule! Your telling me people are going to judge Whitmer and Boyle on the same level...ridiculous and 13-27 for 142 against Stoneybrook while being painfully iinaccurate is just not the answer..and this is from a 5th yr senior. I guarantee that next time Boyle starts we wont see another QB for 3 yrs.

Welcome to the BY Mrs. Boyle

Reaction Score

He's been given 2 to 3 yrs of opportunity to showcase what he can do and I think he has reached the ceiling potentially IMO. Whitmer passed for 142 yards against Stony Brook and didn't take advantage of SB stacking the box, he over threw plenty of open receivers. But, at the end of the day, its not the fans call its the coaches call and they're still giving him a chance to showcase what he has, Honestly fans are just tired of Whitmer not progressing on the field.

Boyle started in 3 games last year and had 310 yards against the #9 defense in the country as a true FR... Boyle will be a great player just watch.

Reaction Score

Yeah, I guess that was mistake. Using Dan as an example.

But ORlovsky played what 6 games in his freshmen season? I don't remember exactly. But I don't remember ever feeling the same way I did about ORlovsky as a freshmen, that I did about Boyle last season. It was repeatedly - for me - with Boyle - "come on kid, why are you throwing that?" It got worse instead of better during his couple of games. I don't remember that from Dan O at all. Dan progressively got better, clearly.

Look, we can argue till the cows come home. No right or wrong out here in the interwebs. The one thing that I can't wrap my head around is the 2 QB system. I really don't care actually who does it, as long as the QB position is productive, I just think it's more difficult to get consistent production when you're rotating at that position, rather than playing one QB regularly.

Reaction Score
1) He hasn't thrown an interception this year

2) This is the first year his completion percentage has dropped below 50. I remember at least 3 drops, others have counted 4-5. If three of those drops are caught, his completion percentage against Stony Brook would have been 55%. If it was 5, 62.9%.

3) having a mobile QB when the OL is suspect is a good thing. There are times he takes off too soon. There are other times where he turned nothing into something. Even after subtracting sacks, the running backs got 5 more carries than he did, and only picked up 2 more yards. Those scrambles help move the chains.

This guy has shown nothing and your still riding Whitmer.... Smh! the kid hasn't shown anything, but inaccuracy, inconsistency, Interceptions, happy feet, running into sacks, but yet you defend him because he had 29 yards rushing against SB... Wow!

Reaction Score

LOL. The #2 QB position OBVIOUSLY. The #2 is always the best QB at UCONN.

Reaction Score
This guy has shown nothing and your still riding Whitmer.... Smh! the kid hasn't shown anything, but inaccuracy, inconsistency, Interceptions, happy feet, running into sacks, but yet you defend him because he had 29 yards rushing against SB... Wow!

I can't speak for anybody else, but I'm defending Chandler Whitmer as our starter at QB, because Bob Diaco and the coaching staff have confidence in him as our starter at QB.

Reaction Score

This is the single best post of the day. So what do we get by virtue of your guaranty?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom