The all-new fancy-dancy 2018-19 per-40-minutes PIVOT stats spreadsheet! | The Boneyard

The all-new fancy-dancy 2018-19 per-40-minutes PIVOT stats spreadsheet!

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
I have completely redesigned the per-40-minutes spreadsheet. No longer will there be a plethora of tabs to deal with. Instead, you will be able to slice and dice the raw data to get the reports you want, thanks to the power of pivot tables.

I'm a beginner with designing pivot tables, so I welcome comments and help requests from users who have problems with what I've done as well as suggestions from Excel experts who believe there's a better way to implement the design.

You can get the workbook from my download page.

The Detail tab contains the raw data from the box scores. (Have you noticed that UConn played 2 less minutes than Vanguard -- 198 to 200 -- in the first game?) It's protected to prevent accidental changes, but you can unprotect it if you want by right-clicking on the tab name.

The Per-40 tab is where the fun is. When you open the workbook this first time, the tab will be showing the summary of all (two) games whose data I've entered so far. (Later, it will open on the stats for the most recent game.) The blue & white table at the top reprises the boxscore info. The table below the yellow-backgrounded line shows the per-40-minutes values for the data in the upper table.

You can change what data is in the upper table by using the drop-downs (labelled "Starter", "Opponent", "DATE") at the very top of the tab and the drop-down on the 5th line next to the "Row Labels" label.

They Starter drop-down allows you to select data for starters only, non-starters only, team totals only or (if you select the "Select Multiple Items" checkbox) any combination of the categories, as well as All categories.

The Opponent drop-down works similarly for one, more, or all opponents, and the DATE drop-down for the date of the game.

The Row Labels drop-down allows you to select to show data for one or more, or all players.

Play around with it, you can't break it by using the drop-downs.

Let me know how it goes for you.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
BTW, is there a box score for the SCSU game somewere that I can access?

Also, looking for help on how to protect all the cells on the Per-40 tab except for the drop-downs. What I've found online doesn't seem to work.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Also, looking for help on how to protect all the cells on the Per-40 tab except for the drop-downs. What I've found online doesn't seem to work.

Please elaborate. What does protection mean? So the cannot be altered and saved? Please explain. I may or may not be able to help.

Reaction Score

You need to Lock all cells in sheet and then unlock only those you want to be editable. Link

When you protect the sheet ensure you select 'Use PivotTable Options' otherwise users won;t be able to select drop-downs options.

Can I suggest you also add the following columns to your raw data: 'Conference' (Yes or No) and 'Ranked' (Yes or No). Add these as filters along with say 'Location' (Home, Away or Neutral).

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
You need to Lock all cells in sheet and then unlock only those you want to be editable. Link

When you protect the sheet ensure you select 'Use PivotTable Options' otherwise users won;t be able to select drop-downs options.

Can I suggest you also add the following columns to your raw data: 'Conference' (Yes or No) and 'Ranked' (Yes or No). Add these as filters along with say 'Location' (Home, Away or Neutral).

Thanks. That page was the directions I'd followed before. But, as I realized sometime when I was sleeping, I had included the pivot table in the protected cells, so it didn't allow changes to the dropdown.

I will consider your suggested addditions. The one that appeals to me most is the Conference filter.

Since you appear to have Excel knowledge, can you tell me how to sort the pivot table? When I use the Row Labels dropdown to sort, it does not sort according to the character value, because underscore(_) and tilde (~) should sort after the uppercase letters, and they end up before the letters. I'm stumped.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Can you tell me how to sort the pivot table? When I use the Row Labels dropdown to sort, it does not sort according to the character value, because underscore(_) and tilde (~) should sort after the uppercase letters, and they end up before the letters. I'm stumped.
Have you tried the custom list?

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
Have you tried the custom list?

Avoided that by finding leading characters for the TEAM, UCONN an Opponent rows that will sort where I want them with the alphabetic sort.

Thanks anyhow!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom