The Advantage of Z | The Boneyard

The Advantage of Z

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
First of all, let me make it clear that I am not suggesting that UConn is a better team without Lou on the court. What I am suggesting is that there are a number of advantages, mostly on the defensive end, that Z brings when she is on the court.

The biggest single advantage of having Z on the court is that UConn moves a ferocious defender to the perimeter with Gabby finally having the opportunity to match up with someone her own size. Gabby’s quickness and relentless effort was on full display yesterday vs the Turtles as she constantly harassed their G/W’s into multiple turnovers, while picking their pockets with 5 steals. Gabby along with Kia’s tough defense and Danger’s quick hands and harassing defense create so many problems for an opposing team that they struggle to run their offense. Cal scored 3 pts in the 3rd qtr of their game against the Huskies and the Turtles put up all of 21 pts in the 1st half. While MD did score 51 points in the 2nd half, when the game was over and UConn substituted liberally with MD’s starters still on the floor, when it counted UConn’s defense was smothering.

The 2nd advantage to having Z on the court is obvious. With Z, Pheesa and Gabby on the court at the same time, UConn has a significant advantage on the boards. After being outrebounded in their 1st two games, the Huskies were +20 vs the Turtles with all 3 players getting double doubles.

I’m really looking forward to seeing how this Husky lineup matches up with an athletic UCLA team led by one of the top PG’s in the nation. Based on the Huskies play against MD, I think the Bruins are in for a rough night.

Reaction Score
Great post (as usual), oldude. I agree that it was exciting to watch the differences in the team yesterday: different assignments, different lanes and spacing on offense, more backup on defense. By no means knocking the Lou-led team, which I love, too. Just different. But I don't agree completely about the positive changes on perimeter defense. Yes, Gabby gets to be more active; but maybe it's that extra activity that got her so engaged with such a high motor that she became a turnover machine on offense. Meanwhile, Lou had been so effective at getting a couple of steals/layups off the perimeter that it was forcing the opponents to start their offense deeper from the hoop. So, maybe a mixed bag on that: the next couple of games will tell. But overall, vive la difference!

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Yes, I conveniently ignored Gabby's triple? double. No doubt the offense runs much better with Lou on the court and her new found intensity on defense is wonderful to watch, but as I've said before, you can't teach 6'6".

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Well, the "problem" is that we have 6 starters. Both Lou and Z bring huge advantages. I like our "problem." Once MW settles in and B gets into the rotation, every other team is in a heap of trouble.
Just prior to the start of the season I had suggested that this may be the best 7 players that UConn has had on the same team ever. Once they start firing on all cylinders and as you suggest add in BatCam, and I don’t know if there’s a team in the country that can stay within 20 pts.

Reaction Score
First of all, let me make it clear that I am not suggesting that UConn is a better team without Lou on the court. What I am suggesting is that there are a number of advantages, mostly on the defensive end, that Z brings when she is on the court.

The biggest single advantage of having Z on the court is that UConn moves a ferocious defender to the perimeter with Gabby finally having the opportunity to match up with someone her own size. Gabby’s quickness and relentless effort was on full display yesterday vs the Turtles as she constantly harassed their G/W’s into multiple turnovers, while picking their pockets with 5 steals. Gabby along with Kia’s tough defense and Danger’s quick hands and harassing defense create so many problems for an opposing team that they struggle to run their offense. Cal scored 3 pts in the 3rd qtr of their game against the Huskies and the Turtles put up all of 21 pts in the 1st half. While MD did score 51 points in the 2nd half, when the game was over and UConn substituted liberally with MD’s starters still on the floor, when it counted UConn’s defense was smothering.

The 2nd advantage to having Z on the court is obvious. With Z, Pheesa and Gabby on the court at the same time, UConn has a significant advantage on the boards. After being outrebounded in their 1st two games, the Huskies were +20 vs the Turtles with all 3 players getting double doubles.

I’m really looking forward to seeing how this Husky lineup matches up with an athletic UCLA team led by one of the top PG’s in the nation. Based on the Huskies play against MD, I think the Bruins are in for a rough night.

Not wishing Lou this injury, but if there is a team upside, I agree that Z having the chance to lock in underneath, taking Gabby off the hook for some of the rebounding, while polishing her outside contributions, we may be dodging some of the foul troubles last year's four received trying to compensate for height discrepancies and a shallow bench.

Reaction Score

The biggest single advantage of having Z on the court is that UConn moves a ferocious defender to the perimeter with Gabby finally having the opportunity vito match up with someone her own size. Gabby’s quickness and relentless effort was on full display yesterday vs the Turtles as she constantly harassed their G/W’s into multiple turnovers, while picking their pockets with 5 steals. Gabby along with Kia’s tough defense and Danger’s quick hands and harassing defense create so many problems for an opposing team that they struggle to run their offense. Cal scored 3 pts in the 3rd qtr of their game against the Huskies and the Turtles put up all of 21 pts in the 1st half. While MD did score 51 points in the 2nd half, when the game was over and UConn substituted liberally with MD’s starters still on the floor, when it counted UConn’s defense was smothering.

You are rarely wrong, and not so now. Azura has advantages, no doubt about that; also it is true the more time Z gets with the other 4 the quicker she assimilate fully into the line up. I was obvious how much Katie lou was missed when she was sidelined with at injury. The defense dropped off and the offense was not as smooth. The Defense against Uconn could concentrate on Napheesa and Gabby. To be certain Z was not making an offensive or defensive threat of herself. Against MD, Geno pulled Z for a few minutes 3 or 4 times to teach--that pleased me--each time Z came out and was either more effective or trying to be offensive. When she was beaten on Post defense, she was pulled, and it didn't happen again. Z hit a 3 big plus, she made a authoritative drive and scored.
My belief is the team is better with Z and Katie Lou, but until KLS returns Ms Azura Steven will more than fill the void.
I was cautiously curious about Azura's ability to run the court with speed, at times she isn't as quick to get there, but when she is whopped on back side, she is jet propelled. I like everything Geno is doing this year : with the new kidz and Z and Molly---he must be beaming; he has gotten my approval!

Reaction Score
Just prior to the start of the season I had suggested that this may be the best 7 players that UConn has had on the same team ever. Once they start firing on all cylinders and as you suggest add in BatCam, and I don’t know if there’s a team in the country that can stay within 20 pts.
Oh , now you did it. With Z this will be the best 7? Come on, Dude, you know that is very thin ice. I can argue that some team in the not to distant past is the greatest or that this team by years end may be the greatest 8 players or 5 players---yep I'm picking those darn nits again.
With DT and her Fab 4 add another 2 on that team like Sveta, not shabby.
But your EXACT scenario--stands alone---in that, as much as it pains me--you are Rrrr Rrrr Rrrrr Right!

Reaction Score
One incident that made me chuckle a bit: UConn on defense. Z comes out to challenge the ball handler who is just beyond the foul line. But she doesn't raise her arms! :eek: Player shoots and scores and Z is out and getting an earful next dead ball! :oops:
I guess you have to teach that you are bigger than 6'6" with your arms up...

Reaction Score

. While the MD zone seemed to slow down uconn's half court game, I thought it hindered the terps ability to find a body and box out the athletic huskies. 6'6" certainly helps the rebounding stats, but I think Brenda's scheme did too.

Reaction Score
There was one play in the MD game where the Terps put on a hard full court press on the UConn inbounds, and UConn barely managed to inbound in time. The ball ended up getting inbounded to Z.

If you're in that situation and your team's six-and-a-half foot center gets passed the ball, that might still mean that you're in trouble. Most centers aren't the best passers on the team, and they certainly can't use their handle to get past the picket of defenders. Possible turnover.

If you're a Dolson-type center with elite passing skills, you'd easily make the correct pass to break that press.

And if you're Z? Why, just break the press by dribbling the ball yourself into the frontcourt, of course! What else? :p

Reaction Score
Z provides a nice benefit with Lou out. But with Lou in they are much better overall

Reaction Score
Z provides a nice benefit with Lou out. But with Lou in they are much better overall
Definitely better flow. Without Lou it feels like Z, Collier, and Gabby are still trying to figure out how not to run into each other.

Reaction Score
Definitely better flow. Without Lou it feels like Z, Collier, and Gabby are still trying to figure out how not to run into each other.
Hopefully they figured more of that out in practice yesterday...

upload_2017-11-21_8-52-50.png

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
One incident that made me chuckle a bit: UConn on defense. Z comes out to challenge the ball handler who is just beyond the foul line. But she doesn't raise her arms! :eek: Player shoots and scores and Z is out and getting an earful next dead ball! :oops:
I guess you have to teach that you are bigger than 6'6" with your arms up...
Ahh... obviously a well trained eye because only a well trained eye would have noticed this. Geno often speaks of having to break players of bad habits when they come to UCONN and this was a perfect example. There was another example in the third quarter involving Megan Walker. One of the principle of the UCONN offense is to always have the weakside (away from the ball) corner or wing space beyond the three point line. Because of that principle Megan ended up with two corner jumpers and missed both. During the third quarter Megan got impatient and flashed to the basket was wide open and did not get the basketball. Geno yanked her and lectured her on this very point. An untrained eye would say Megan saw an opening and took it & that was a good basketball play and ask why is Geno yelling at her. The answer is UCONN has a higher standard for details and discipline and that would have been a good move anywhere, except that Megan is playing at UCONN.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
The advantage of Z is that now geno can play whatever type of matchup is thrown at him.

Teams try To go big like Miss st and you get more Z. Try to go small and it looks more like last years team.

The flexibility they have when everyone is healthy is outlandish.

What exactly do you exploit?

I guess I'd like another ball handler on the floor, but I'll live. Just keep danger out of foul trouble

Reaction Score
You are rarely wrong, and not so now. Azura has advantages, no doubt about that; also it is true the more time Z gets with the other 4 the quicker she assimilate fully into the line up. I was obvious how much Katie lou was missed when she was sidelined with at injury. The defense dropped off and the offense was not as smooth. The Defense against Uconn could concentrate on Napheesa and Gabby. To be certain Z was not making an offensive or defensive threat of herself. Against MD, Geno pulled Z for a few minutes 3 or 4 times to teach--that pleased me--each time Z came out and was either more effective or trying to be offensive. When she was beaten on Post defense, she was pulled, and it didn't happen again. Z hit a 3 big plus, she made a authoritative drive and scored.
My belief is the team is better with Z and Katie Lou, but until KLS returns Ms Azura Steven will more than fill the void.
I was cautiously curious about Azura's ability to run the court with speed, at times she isn't as quick to get there, but when she is whopped on back side, she is jet propelled. I like everything Geno is doing this year : with the new kidz and Z and Molly---he must be beaming; he has gotten my approval!
I am surprised that you mentioned Molly in the context of, " liking everything Geno is doing this year." I mean, she has been pretty
lame ( poor passing decisions, turnovers, and even modest defense ( whenever her opponent shoots or drives, it is a basket ). If you are pleased that she is getting a shot, I understand. But she looks outclassed. Hope I am wrong, because we will need another guard.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Ahh... obviously a well trained eye because only a well trained eye would have noticed this. Geno often speaks of having to break players of bad habits when they come to UCONN and this was a perfect example. There was another example in the third quarter involving Megan Walker. One of the principle of the UCONN offense is to always have the weakside (away from the ball) corner or wing space beyond the three point line. Because of that principle Megan ended up with two corner jumpers and missed both. During the third quarter Megan got impatient and flashed to the basket was wide open and did not get the basketball. Geno yanked her and lectured her on this very point. An untrained eye would say Megan saw an opening and took it & that was a good basketball play and ask why is Geno yelling at her. The answer is UCONN has a higher standard for details and discipline and that would have been a good move anywhere, except that Megan is playing at UCONN.
I am one with an untrained eye. Do you know why Coombs was yanked with about 38 seconds left?

Reaction Score
I am surprised that you mentioned Molly in the context of, " liking everything Geno is doing this year." I mean, she has been pretty
lame ( poor passing decisions, turnovers, and even modest defense ( whenever her opponent shoots or drives, it is a basket ). If you are pleased that she is getting a shot, I understand. But she looks outclassed. Hope I am wrong, because we will need another guard.

I mentioned Molly because, from day one I was a Molly fan--why? --because she is Molly. I give you all you say about her. But please accept that Geno sees hard work, trying hard, giving him all she can give to get there---will that happen??? Geno likes something in Molly and for that I am grateful to Geno. He could put glue on the end of bench and plunk Molly there, but he hasn't--for that I'm pleased.

Reaction Score
Ahh... obviously a well trained eye because only a well trained eye would have noticed this. Geno often speaks of having to break players of bad habits when they come to UCONN and this was a perfect example. There was another example in the third thaquarter involving Megan Walker. One of the principle of the UCONN offense is to always have the weakside (away from the ball) corner or wing space beyond the three point line. Because of that principle Megan ended up with two corner jumpers and missed both. During the third quarter Megan got impatient and flashed to the basket was wide open and did not get the basketball. Geno yanked her and lectured her on this very point. An untrained eye would say Megan saw an opening and took it & that was a good basketball play and ask why is Geno yelling at her. The answer is UCONN has a higher standard for details and discipline and that would have been a good move anywhere, except that Megan is playing at UCONN.

Not to put myself in the same category as you and OldAlum --I saw the same play and Geno's reactions and her reaction on the bench. Here is my take on Z and Geno that game--GREAT--he was TEACHING without damning her--about 4 times. She played with the frosh for 2 reasons, she need the PT and the teaching in real game experiences and the new kidz on the block needed and elder for support. KUDO's GENO, kudo's.
I've said more than my fair share of negative about Geno, and honestly I don't see hims as God or Wooden, but last year and this Geno has become Geno the IN GAME teacher--That separates him from the near greats!! Eddie Sutton was a fair to good coach of a number of high touted teams--but he never could make in-games corrections. With Geno I expect it.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I am one with an untrained eye. Do you know why Coombs was yanked with about 38 seconds left?
I'll check the tape when I get a chance, not really sure right now.

Reaction Score
BroadwayVa, what is he doing with Molly? I don't see any improvement from last year. AEH should get the minutes Molly is getting.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilson

Top Bottom