The Accelerating Pace of Media Coverage is Mind Blowing | The Boneyard

The Accelerating Pace of Media Coverage is Mind Blowing

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Two very good articles:

This one hits it out of the park while giving you a terrific Gabby ain't human photo!

But since UConn hit its 100th win earlier this year, things seem to be changing. The Hartford Courant reported a 17% increase in TV ratings compared with the same time last season, and 31% over the season before. SB Nation reported that before the bracket was even unveiled, Huskies fans bought so many tickets for the regional round of the tournament (including games they aren't playing in), that Maryland fans "got locked out." On March 1, HBO debuted a docu-series focusing on the Huskies, reviving a similar concept that focused on the Gonzaga Bulldogs men’s team in 2016. This mainstream media attention reflects the building awe among fans of the team’s unparalleled dynasty. Even Geno, when asked how the team performed given the changes in his roster since last year, said, “I never envisioned that they would be at this level this quickly, and be able to kind of play together as well as they have, and come up big as many nights as they have.”

What the UConn Women’s Basketball Team Tells Us about Sexism in March Madness

Great shot of Phee in this one.

http://www.teenvogue.com/story/ncaa-march-madness-app-womens-basketball

Reaction Score
The shot of Ms Stewart wasn't too shabby, either
BreannaStewart.jpg

Reaction Score
So wait...is that correct? The Universities/teams in women's sports see none of the broadcast revenue? None??? WIthout a doubt, ESPN pays for the broadcast rights. And the NCAA keeps that money without sharing any with the women's programs??
Does this writer have that correct?

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Teen Vogue is actually an awesome place for articles, shockingly. I read a lot of their stuff during the election, and I am impressed that they are covering issues like this. Who knew!

Reaction Score
Kinda odd that the author appeared to be totally unaware of games broadcast on ESPN and of ESPNW. Not to mention all of UConn's games being broadcast on SNY or other networks.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Kinda odd that the author appeared to be totally unaware of games broadcast on ESPN and of ESPNW. Not to mention all of UConn's games being broadcast on SNY or other networks.

Ever seen the movie Grumpy Old Men?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
So wait...is that correct? The Universities/teams in women's sports see none of the broadcast revenue? None??? WIthout a doubt, ESPN pays for the broadcast rights. And the NCAA keeps that money without sharing any with the women's programs??
The NCAA sold the rights as a combined package for everything other than the Men's tournament I believe so they split up the Men's money, but say all the other sports combined only cover their costs.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Two very good articles:

This one hits it out of the park while giving you a terrific Gabby ain't human photo!

But since UConn hit its 100th win earlier this year, things seem to be changing. The Hartford Courant reported a 17% increase in TV ratings compared with the same time last season, and 31% over the season before. SB Nation reported that before the bracket was even unveiled, Huskies fans bought so many tickets for the regional round of the tournament (including games they aren't playing in), that Maryland fans "got locked out." On March 1, HBO debuted a docu-series focusing on the Huskies, reviving a similar concept that focused on the Gonzaga Bulldogs men’s team in 2016. This mainstream media attention reflects the building awe among fans of the team’s unparalleled dynasty.
I worry about your central console imploding due to all controls lighting up on UConn articles being posted. Do you have a backup generator and additional monitors to add to the current bank of 20 you have?

As usual, you are in Tournament form and humming along quite well. Thanks for all the links and keeping the Mojo going! :cool:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I worry about your central console imploding due to all controls lighting up on UConn articles being posted. Do you have a backup generator and additional monitors to add to the current bank of 20 you have?

As usual, you are in Tournament form and humming along quite well. Thanks for all the links and keeping the Mojo going! :cool:

LMBOAO! Laughter is the best medicine. :p PS. I did have to install another Cooling Tower.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Very good question. Hopefully the experts in all things NCAA who inhabit the board will answer it.

Reaction Score
I'm trying out for the sequel Grumpiest Old Men. I think I have a real shot at it! :mad:;)

It was an attempt at humor OldAlum, so if I offended I'm sorry.

Not offended but I cant be a Grumpy Old Man without some major changes (and even then some states wont recognize it!)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Not offended but I cant be a Grumpy Old Man without some major changes (and even then some states wont recognize it!)

Okay. LOL. But it would be a hoot to see Hollywood do a sequel of Grumpy Old Women. And since Hollywood is dying because they produce formuliac crap, I bet we could write it together and market it in a heartbeat and buy adjoining islands in the tropics! What do you say?

PS. Nan, the spell checker can't spell formuliac.

Reaction Score
Now Im thinking of Shirley McClaine in Steel Magnolias and Kathy Bates in Fried Green Tomatoes! Kind of role models for me now...
"I've just been having a bad day for the last 30 years!"

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Very good question. Hopefully the experts in all things NCAA who inhabit the board will answer it.
We had a thread on this last year I think - the Men's tournament is a single contract sold to CBS for BIG money. The NCAA then packaged up all the other sports tournaments that they sponsor and run to ESPN and overall that contract does not cover the expenses of all the other tournaments. At some point it would be nice if they tried to market the WCBB tournament on its own, but then they would be starving all the other tournaments of TV.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Now Im thinking of Shirley McClaine in Steel Magnolias and Kathy Bates in Fried Green Tomatoes! Kind of role models for me now...
"I've just been having a bad day for the last 30 years!"

Armadillo cake was it? I could go for that in liver pate'.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom