The ACC Conundrum | The Boneyard

The ACC Conundrum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If UConn gets invited to the ACC then at a minimum FSU and Clemson jump ship which could lead to a mass exodus of others. If the ACC does not invite UConn then the ACC runs the financial risk of totally losing the northeast schools media market should the B1G add UConn.

With UConn in the B1G BC and Syracuse, and to some extent Pitt are not only isolated geographically, but from a media standpoint are in no-man's land with the B1G dominating the media from DC (UMD), Eastern PA (PSU), NJ/NY/Southern NE (Rutgers & UConn). The ACC gets a bit of western NY, and what is left of BC fans in NE after UConn plays Ohio St. or Michigan at Gillette a few times.

The ACC made a southern football decision to invite Louisville. The B1G made a business decision to invite Maryland and Rutgers. We will see whether UConn makes business sense for the B1G or is merely a fallback for the ACC when other conferences look elsewhere. I lean toward the B1G wanting to solidify NYC and the deep pockets in CT. Lets hope......

Reaction Score
We might find out sooner rather than later whether the Big 10's Rutgers and Maryland decision was sound. Looks like they won't be carried on the big Ten network unless it becomes part of the standard package. Interesting to see how comcast plays this. they held out for quite a while on YES and I can't imagine the BTN being anywhere near as popular as the New York Yankees...
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2012/12/10/Media/BigTenNet.aspx

Reaction Score
All the more reason for delany to add uconn prior to the start of these negotiations.

Uconn's mbb, wbb (soon hockey) and fb in the aggregate gives the big 10 much more leverage. While there certainly are crossover fans, an awful lot of disparate people would be clamoring for uconn to be carried in sw ct, and up and down hudson river valley.

Reaction Score
I doubt its that simple. I don't see UConn joining being the reason either FSU or Clemson want to leave. I don't even see it as being the proverbial "last straw". In fact, I'm pretty sure Clemson is perfectly content staying where they are. That is unless someone else leaves.

I'm also not sure how much the ACC fears the UConn "stealing" UConn.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Question for anyone currently living in the Big Ten footprint. Many of the BT games are on national TV (ESPN, ABC), in those cases when they are not (Ind., Ill, NW) does the BT broadcast those games locally or stagger them so they are all shown line SNY does?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom