3-16.

1-14 non-ECU division.

Temple beat Vandy - that's it.

Also 0-2 against BYU.

Impressive.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The 1-3 vs. cUSA, 1-2 vs. MWC, and 0-1 vs. Sun Belt are bigger problems than the record vs. P5. Other than a handful of games like UCF vs. Penn State, Memphis vs. UCLA and USF vs. Maryland, most of those P5 losses were blowouts.

Reaction Score
It isn't exactly like we've pulled our weight this year. At least ECU is stepping up this year, UCF did this year etc. Long way to go to call itself a P6, but UConn needs to step the up, if the league is that bad.

Reaction Score
Well, last year was a good year for the American in football and basketball. Losing good players and having a down cycle isn't to be unexpected. The critical thing is to finish the year strong and come back next year entering another up cycle.

I think this conference is going to be pretty good but I can't help but wonder how it can avoid falling apart. Between the possibility of Cincy, UConn, UCF and USF being poached or those four and a couple others making eyes at the best of the MWC, I don't see how it endures. It just doesn't make sense monetarily.

Any 8-10 of these plus UConn, Boise, Cincy, BYU, Navy and Air Force would be much more lucrative.

UConn
UCF
Cincy
Navy
ECU
Temple
USF
USF

Colorado St
Boise
SDSU
UNLV
Houston
Memphis
Air Force
BYU

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
They went down that road and it wasn't more lucrative.

Reaction Score
No they didn't. They half assed it. Too many less valuable schools, not enough valuable western schools and an ESPN right to match any offer.

By doing a better quality conference with the best programs and no dregs, a new deal would surely be much better and maximize per school payouts.

Last edited:

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
It isn't exactly like we've pulled our weight this year. At least ECU is stepping up this year, UCF did this year etc. Long way to go to call itself a P6, but UConn needs to step the up, if the league is that bad.
Agree about your UConn points, but disagree about AAC - they will never be P6.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
No bueno and it makes our horrendous season look even more horrendous, if that's possible. We honestly could not have picked an absolute worse time to go into the football tank. I just hope that by the time we turn it around again, and we will, it won't be too little too late.

Reaction Score
Never ever. We have to get out. Otherwise, we're screwed.

agree. This conference does not have the gravitas that the Big East did. People made fun of the Big East, but it had programs of historic significance and it had an identity.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
No they didn't. They half assed it. Too many less valuable schools, not enough valuable western schools and an ESPN right to match any offer.

By doing a better quality conference with the best programs and no dregs, a new deal would surely be much better and maximize per school payouts.

Well BYU wouldn't be interested and they got the two most valuable... so if Boise and SDSU couldn't move the needle why would UNLV or Colorado State?

The right to match should have increased bids not decreased them.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
They went down that road and it wasn't more lucrative.
It wasn't more lucrative to Boise because the MW threw a bunch of money at them, which looks silly these days. SDSU was for it and lobbying Boise, but no Boise, no SDSU. Aresco wasn't about to set a precedent of unequal partners, so for whatever other criticisms about inviting Tulane/Tulsa, at least he didn't cave to a Boise program that was not going to hang on to Peterson or keep beating Oklahoma type programs on a regular basis.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It wasn't more lucrative to Boise because the MW threw a bunch of money at them, which looks silly these days. SDSU was for it and lobbying Boise, but no Boise, no SDSU. Aresco wasn't about to set a precedent of unequal partners, so for whatever other criticisms about inviting Tulane/Tulsa, at least he didn't cave to a Boise program that was not going to hang on to Peterson or keep beating Oklahoma type programs on a regular basis.

They certainly made the right move not caving.

But when you look at the small dollars they used to keep Boise - it's hard to extrapolate that into bigger dollars for a different mix.

NBC clearly wasn't interested. If there is nobody to drive up the price the money isn't going to be there.

The gap is so stark even if they tripled the contract UConn is still screwed.

Reaction Score
whaler11 said:
Well BYU wouldn't be interested and they got the two most valuable... so if Boise and SDSU couldn't move the needle why would UNLV or Colorado State? The right to match should have increased bids not decreased them.

I agree but I think that was a result of bad timing. There wasn't a network available at that moment that could offer more. Now, a best of the rest conference that has the right leadership can go look for another suitor and see what is out there before anyone ever leaves the AAC. The market for better product has been set very high. A contract valued at 30% of the ACC's value is still 3x better than the current deal. I see a best of the rest conference as far more compelling to watch. I use the wife test. If I tell her who we are playing and she says, "Who?", it isn't compelling tv. If I told her Colorado St, Boise, BYU, Cincy, UNLV, Memphis, San Diego St, Navy, etc., she won't say "who?" one time. That's a better product.

I just can't see how the top schools stuck in this mess can sit idle in this situation. They know that they desperately need money and they know that they aren't matched up with the best partners to maximize revenue. It can't go on forever.

Reaction Score
I realize I'm in the minority, but I'm (currently) not that worried what conference we play in. We're a single-A baseball team whining cuz we can't play in the MLB. Getting pummeled by real P5 programs doesn't seem like fun. Lets dominate our crappy conference first and then worry about going bigger.

Lets start by beating Tulane this Saturday!!!!

Reaction Score
I realize I'm in the minority, but I'm (currently) not that worried what conference we play in. We're a single-A baseball team whining cuz we can't play in the MLB. Getting pummeled by real P5 programs doesn't seem like fun. Lets dominate our crappy conference first and then worry about going bigger.

Lets start by beating Tulane this Saturday!!!!
what-me-worry.png

Reaction Score
Never ever. We have to get out. Otherwise, we're screwed.
Problem is were not real palatable as an addition to any conference with the product we are putting out on the field. No team added to a P5 conference has been as bad as we are now. Maybe, UMD when they went to the Big Ten, but even that is a stretch.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I agree but I think that was a result of bad timing. There wasn't a network available at that moment that could offer more. Now, a best of the rest conference that has the right leadership can go look for another suitor and see what is out there before anyone ever leaves the AAC. The market for better product has been set very high. A contract valued at 30% of the ACC's value is still 3x better than the current deal. I see a best of the rest conference as far more compelling to watch. I use the wife test. If I tell her who we are playing and she says, "Who?", it isn't compelling tv. If I told her Colorado St, Boise, BYU, Cincy, UNLV, Memphis, San Diego St, Navy, etc., she won't say "who?" one time. That's a better product.

I just can't see how the top schools stuck in this mess can sit idle in this situation. They know that they desperately need money and they know that they aren't matched up with the best partners to maximize revenue. It can't go on forever.

I think to 95% of people there is no difference between SDSU, SMU, Colorado State, Memphis etc.... just are just a blur of mediocrity that everyone ignores the same.

Even the ACC and Big 10 are losing viewers to the SEC. The games on average are just more entertaining to the majority of people.

If you aren't partial to a team in the AAC and don't have a gambling problem why would you watch USF and Temple when there are 15 other games on?

Reaction Score
whaler11 said:
I think to 95% of people there is no difference between SDSU, SMU, Colorado State, Memphis etc.... just are just a blur of mediocrity that everyone ignores the same. Even the ACC and Big 10 are losing viewers to the SEC. The games on average are just more entertaining to the majority of people. If you aren't partial to a team in the AAC and don't have a gambling problem why would you watch USF and Temple when there are 15 other games on?

I guess. It is a sad state of affairs. I sure as hell would rather play those names though. Even if the football isn't that good, it is better. More importantly, it isn't totally embarrassing to mention who you are playing any given week.

Reaction Score
3-16.

1-14 non-ECU division.

Temple beat Vandy - that's it.

Also 0-2 against BYU.

Impressive.

YUP ... Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

There are two very impressive points in the September opening: ECU beating Virginia Tech ... and (drumroll) ... Memphis scaring UCLA.

Both, given venue and stage, were interesting games; ones that you needed a follow-up to be convinced these two had any credibility. The follow-up ... in my view ... did occur. ECU has been a consistently good team (against P5) & now Memphis has rattled our former conference toughie Cincy (after battling Ole Miss (which we now know is better than we thought).

I think whaler11 has not got this right. There are some good teams in this conference. (and UCF and Temple might be better than we think)

Reaction Score
I think to 95% of people there is no difference between SDSU, SMU, Colorado State, Memphis etc.... just are just a blur of mediocrity that everyone ignores the same.

Even the ACC and Big 10 are losing viewers to the SEC. The games on average are just more entertaining to the majority of people.

If you aren't partial to a team in the AAC and don't have a gambling problem why would you watch USF and Temple when there are 15 other games on?

This IS WHAT YOU SAY when you have a Gambling problem.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This IS WHAT YOU SAY when you have a Gambling problem.

I don't have a gambling problem but thanks for your concern.

Check the ratings sometime. It won't be easy since a good amount of the games are on a network so obscure they don't even pay for the privledge of being rated (CBS Sports).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom