The AAC Must Play Like a Power Conference During Bowl Season | The Boneyard

The AAC Must Play Like a Power Conference During Bowl Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If the AAC can take 6 of 8 bowl games that would be impressive but.... one of those wins has to be either the Peach Bowl or the Birmingham Bowl for the league to be considered on par with the ACC or the Big 12. I am most worried about Memphis with their head man gone. Will they play inspired football knowing they have a chance to take down a usual SEC power in Auburn without Fuentes? Interestingly enough the two teams have played twice before and MEMPHIS won both.

I'd also like to see Cincy take out the Mountain West Champion and USF finish strong with a win over the CUSA champ.

UConn and Husky Nation can only hold up their end of the bargain with a convincing win and a well represented crowd.

The AAC isn't as bad as some might want to believe but they still have a lot to prove to convert the naysayers. The bowl weeks are critical if they want more leverage in the next TV contract.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I'd settle for the league getting a bowl agreement with the B1G or P12 in the near future. I don't know if P5 money or even a significant bump from current TV money is in the cards.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The AAC won't be looked at as a P-5 conference unless the they get more access to the NYD6 bowls...and that just ain't gonna happen with the CFP as presently constituted.

#23 Boise St. was the only ranked G-5 team entering the season and the highest ranking Houston reached in the only poll that counted (CFP) was #19, regardless of their #13 ranking in the AP poll that same week. At 10-0 Houston was ranked behind 5 2-loss teams (Stanford, Michigan, Utah, FSU, and LSU). Navy (1 loss) was ranked behind those same 5 teams and 3 ahead of UH!!!

Let's run it down.
Chic-fil-A Bowl: Houston (AAC) vs. FSU (ACC)
Orange Bowl: Oklahoma (Big XII) vs. Clemson (ACC)
Cotton Bowl: MSU (Big Ten) vs. Alabama (SEC)
Outback Bowl: Michigan (Big Ten) vs. Florida (SEC)
Rose Bowl Stanford PAC 12) vs. Iowa (Big Ten)
Sugar Bowl: OSU (Big XII) vs. Ole Miss (SEC)

By Conference:
Big Ten: 3
SEC: 3
ACC: 2
Big XII:2
Pac 12:1
AAC: 1

The simplist way to see this is:
P-5: 11
G-5:1

All things being equal, P-5 teams have a 1 in 6 shot at playing over New Years Day weekend. G-5 teams have a 1 in 75 chance. At 10-1, Houston is ranked behind 3 loss Baylor, Oregon, Michigan, and Ole Miss. Every other 1-loss team is #7 or higher. Houston is playing the highest ranked team not in the CFP or Rose Bowl, who traditionally take the best Pac 12 and Big Ten teams. The powers that be intent on demonstrating that the G-5 doesn't belong. A G-5 program literally has to be perfect, and there still would be a snowball's chance in Hades they make the College Football Playoff. Equal access, my foot.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I know everyone wants UConn to join a power conference, but what if the AAC could morph into one through success??? I think it's realistic for the first time. Why can't the AAC in the Group of Five bid every year??

That's why the bowl season is so important for the AAC! http://stholeary.blogspot.com/2015/12/the-aac-must-play-like-power-conference.html
If by morph into one you mean get paid like one, no. Could we end the season ranked ahead of a P5 conference? Maybe, but it would take a hell of a season.

APA

Reaction Score

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
The bowl matchups are not easy. It will be a miracle if the AAC goes .500 this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom