The AAC is expected to receive an application from FAU, Charlotte, North Texas, UTSA, Rice and UAB this week… | The Boneyard

The AAC is expected to receive an application from FAU, Charlotte, North Texas, UTSA, Rice and UAB this week…

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Wow. I didn't think they would go to 14. This is interesting though because it means C-USA will be down to 8 and the MW only has three options to get to 14: NMSU, UTEP, and Texas State.

Reaction Score
Thank God we got out of the AAC!! Can you imagine the SOS for basketball in that conference?! And for football, our fans would stay away even more than they did for the rest of the remaining conference members.

Thank God! And I'm an atheist, lol.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
1. Eww.
2. LOL!!
3. Whew.

And if you don't think AD Dave saw this coming, you weren't paying attention. UT/OU leaving the B12 was inevitable, as was the AAC ending up where it is.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I'm thinking that SMU, Tulsa, and Wichita State may be on the phone with the MW as we speak trying to arrange an agreement where the MW helps them pay their exit fees.

Reaction Score
I'm thinking that SMU, Tulsa, and Wichita State may be on the phone with the MW as we speak trying to arrange an agreement where the MW helps them pay their exit fees.
Very unlikely. The MWC has no money to pay their exit fees. 10M in exit fees, for probably around the same money in a TV contract plus less exposure. Make no mistake the new AAC is pure trash, but so is the MWC.

MWC has Boise and SDSU, and a bunch of nothing.
AAC has Memphis and a handful of middling teams like USF, Temple, SMU.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
FBP7MLPUGNHMZCDHBHAPCVNH4A.jpg

“We will have 14 teams from all across the country. Of that doesn’t say Power 6, I don’t know what does!”

Reaction Score

All of the Texas additions were probably made to appease SMU and Tulsa, I would expect them to stay in the AAC.

Reaction Score

Lipstick…

-> The new schools also offer the current crew of football schools – Temple, Memphis, Tulane, USF, East Carolina, Navy, Tulsa and SMU – an entree into some of the richest recruiting areas in the country – Houston, San Antonio, greater Dallas, Ft. Lauderdale, Charlotte and Birmingham. <-

-> There are still some final details to work out. There is expected to be a significant boost in television money for the six schools, but they are not expected to get the same share of the TV revenue that the established eight schools currently get.

Conference USA schools currently receive less than a million dollars annually in television revenue. The amount they will receive is still being finalized, but the television revenue will be more than $2 million at the start of the deal and rise significantly from there. Incumbent AAC members are still expected to average about $7 million annually over the course of the current ESPN television deal, which runs through 2031-32. <-

Reaction Score

Incumbent AAC members are still expected to average about $7 million annually over the course of the current ESPN television deal, which runs through 2031-32. <-

If true that ends the speculation about Temple, they will likely stay where they are and hope for the best. This just shows that ESPN makes a huge profit off the AAC.

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score

Lipstick…

-> The new schools also offer the current crew of football schools – Temple, Memphis, Tulane, USF, East Carolina, Navy, Tulsa and SMU – an entree into some of the richest recruiting areas in the country – Houston, San Antonio, greater Dallas, Ft. Lauderdale, Charlotte and Birmingham. <-

-> There are still some final details to work out. There is expected to be a significant boost in television money for the six schools, but they are not expected to get the same share of the TV revenue that the established eight schools currently get.

Conference USA schools currently receive less than a million dollars annually in television revenue. The amount they will receive is still being finalized, but the television revenue will be more than $2 million at the start of the deal and rise significantly from there. Incumbent AAC members are still expected to average about $7 million annually over the course of the current ESPN television deal, which runs through 2031-32. <-

and here I thought SMU and Houston were in Texas

Reaction Score

Lipstick…

I swear this sounds just like a Ponzi scheme. Basically paying/making whole the incumbent members with the money meant to be shared to the new schools.

Reaction Score
Wait so the newbies won’t get as much money as the leftovers? This will be a really great situation.

Reaction Score

-> Before the AAC news broke, sources told the Action Network that officials at North Texas, Rice, UTSA and UTEP had contacted the Mountain West about joining the conference. North Texas and Rice had the most serious discussions, but ultimately, the Mountain West decided to remain at 12 schools, sources said. <-

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Time to call this g5 salad bowl the “Conference American”

Temple and Navy will give this a try- but could see both exiting in 3 to 5 years. Some of this depends on how the big boys decide to approach OOC scheduling and the expanded playoff.

Recruiting against Temple for football just got easier- provided we make the right hire and get back to some on field competence.

Reaction Score
I’m a little out of the loop on these things - would some sort of scheduling alliance be beneficial for the two programs if indy?
Temple really doesn’t have a basketball home with 14 in the A10 unless they add two or drop someone.
WSU would be a great partner
But that conference makes crap
$4,500,000 divided by 14 sucks 16 is worse .

Reaction Score
Temple really doesn’t have a basketball home with 14 in the A10 unless they add two or drop someone.
WSU would be a great partner
But that conference makes crap
$4,500,000 divided by 14 sucks 16 is worse .

It’s almost like there is no way out. We got pretty lucky. Football is historically bad but at least we control our own fate now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom