The 8-team playoff? | The Boneyard

The 8-team playoff?

Want 8-team playoff?

• Total voters

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
For it or against it. It's the offseason: discuss.

Reaction Score
Personally I hope they stay at 4 teams. If they do eventually go to 8 teams it should be the conference champion from each of the P5 conferences and then 3 wild cards selected purely by rank.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Personally I hope they stay at 4 teams. If they do eventually go to 8 teams it should be the conference champion from each of the P5 conferences and then 3 wild cards selected purely by rank.
I agree with one caveat: the best G5 conference champ should be an auto bid, leaving two bids at-large.

Reaction Score
I agree with one caveat: the best G5 conference champ should be an auto bid, leaving two bids at-large.

That would work and be fair. However, I don't think the P5 would go for it though.

Reaction Score
Personally I hope they stay at 4 teams. If they do eventually go to 8 teams it should be the conference champion from each of the P6 conferences and then 3 wild cards selected purely by rank.

It may be futile but I think we have to buy in to this or admit we are done.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
I voted for 8 but haven't really done any deep thinking about it. Gut feeling is that 8 gives any school a better shot at bring invited.

Question: What if the P5's simply stopped scheduling OOC games against the G5? To me that's game over: getting a decent ranking would be impossible and I don't see a structure that invites ALL conf. champs as a likely scenario.

Reaction Score
No, 8 is too many.

A play-in for the 4th spot between the 4th and 5th ranking team with the best of G5 (13-0) getting one of a play-in or ND (12-0) if not then you have all 5 champion from 5 power conference have another opportunity in the playoff. This game must before New Year and after Christmas.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
That would work and be fair. However, I don't think the P5 would go for it though.
There are too many schools and states that would be harmed if they were completely excluded from a chance at winning a title. I would think the P5 knows they're opening up Pandora's box if they complete exclude schools. Lawsuits might start flying and scummy politicians would get involved.

Question: What if the P5's simply stopped scheduling OOC games against the G5?
For the moment, I don't think they'll stop scheduling games against G5 teams. Partially related to my response above and partly because they still want those games, even if it's only the first game of the season, that they should win. But if the P5 did as a group stop scheduling them, they once again risk lawsuits and scummy politicians getting involved.

Reaction Score
I like the 8 team playoff as there just isn't enough separation in the Top 4.
Anyone see an issue with the P5 agreeing to auto bids though? Look who won the Big10 and look who's going to the playoff.
You think they want to chance a team like OSU getting left off for a team like Penn State in a season where there are multiple upsets in the conference championships.

Reaction Score
I like 8 teams. It will happen in about 10 - 15 years or so.
More importantly, I want them change the selection committee. I want the computers back. 60/40 Committee to computers on selecting teams.
Conference champs shouldn't be automatic, but it should mean something.

Reaction Score
An eight-team playoff based upon the Top 8 would virtually guarantee that each P5 conference champion would always get in. The only reason to provide an auto-bid would be to reach down the ranking for a non-P5 champion - bypassing #8 to include (say) #20 for the eighth spot. The autobid system would in effect be a blind intended to grace one non-P5 team into the CFP. This would have to be a political decision specifically designed to include the G5 in the playoffs. It could not be disguised as "All champions get in."

Do you see that happening?

Reaction Score
anyone that thinks seeing the same 10 schools every year in the playoff is going to boost the viewer ship is kidding themselves.

Reaction Score
Who wants to stay in and watch college football on New Years Eve? Maybe fans of the four teams that are in it, but I'm guessing even a large portion of those fans have something better going on Dec 31 than sitting in front of a TV.

Reaction Score
The college playoff system is setup so that we only see the same teams in the playoff. There are only a select few teams in each conference who will ever have the chance to make the football playoff. Even if by some miracle Syracuse or BC won the ACC they would not be selected for the playoff. The same goes for all the alsorans in the other conferences.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
If the "braintrust" of college atletics has taught us anything it is that they cant see past the nose on their face. Short term $ is all that matters. The longer term ramifications of the money grabs are of no concern.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom