The 8 man rotation | The Boneyard

The 8 man rotation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think we should play the 8 guys who played today all the time. Im sorry but Roscoe should only play if a big guy is in foul trouble or if the other team has an elite wing who is giving us trouble.

Roscoe shouldnt play a minute at SF, Giffey and Daniels are both better than him as a 3.

Reaction Score
No, it is a little early to give up on Roscoe. He was a huge part of the championship team last year.

I do think Giff should play more. He is a good defender and very good shooter.

Reaction Score
We should have a more defined rotation at each position.

Drummond at the 5, with Oriakhi backing him up
Olander at the 4, with Roscoe backing him up
Daniels, Giffey at the 3
Lamb at the 2/3
Napier at the 1/2
Boat backing up at point

Maybe shuffle the bigs a little depending on matchups, but I think it would benefit everyone to understand what their role is at a given time on the floor.

Reaction Score
I would agree with that. But you gotta say AO also backs up Olander. Also a defined rotation would benefit this team but that will never happen with a JC coached team.

Reaction Score
Given how much we play three guards, and the fact that Daniels and Giffey to me are better 3's then Roscoe he shouldn't play a minute there.

Reaction Score
I'm not giving up on Roscoe, didn't he have an injury?

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
I think we'll continue to see many looks at the 3/4 in January to get some guys some minutes and to prep for those games where the fouls mount up or sickness or injury sets in.

Keep it fluid. None of the guys mentioned is proving to be a starting stud but all contribute and will turn into role players this year.

Reaction Score
No he doesnt do many things for this team. He did many things for last years team. But Olander has passed him as a 4 and Giffey and Daniels have passed him as a 3.

Reaction Score
I do like what I saw out of Giffey today but you can't try to phase Scoe out of the SF spot entirely just yet. Giffey needs to show that he can be consistent hitting that spot up 3 after penetration by the guards and also play smart on O, but then again he also needs the minutes instead of being buried on the bench after a good effort like what happened after the Ark game. I do think eventually Scoe will see most if not all of his minutes at PF this year. He still can't handle the ball, he doesn't make good decisions with the ball, and his shot appears to have left him, although I do understand its hard to be a consistent shooter when your opportunities are limited. There really is nothing about his game that says SF at all right now.

Reaction Score
The thread is somewhat stupid but OP is right that Roscoe shouldn't be getting time at the 3. He should be a key part of the rotation as a 4.

caw

Reaction Score
Roscoe is the best defender at the three on the team. Daniels is a better offensive player and Giffey is probably the most well rounded. Roscoe is also the best rebounder at the three. I do think Roscoe plays the four well and his minutes should be spread between the 3 and the 4. I don't think him not playing any 3 is the answer though. There are going to be some teams where his defense at that position will be key. For example UK, Cuse and OSU. There will be other games where a three guard lineup will be better, or Giffey/Daniels will be better options.

Reaction Score
Stupid thread. With all due respect to the teams we've played so far this year, we have tougher and stronger teams ahead of us. Scoe's defense and hustle are going to be huge for those games. Giffey can shoot the 3...great... Daniels has wingspan and speed..also great. But we have other guys with those skills, too. Roscoe is a proven asset to our frontcourt and he will continue to help it in Big East play.

I don't think there's a player on this team that helps us more without scoring than Scoe... he could not score a point the rest of the season and still benefit us (especially given that we have more offensive balance around him this year)

Reaction Score
I'm not about to give up on Roscoe, but I like Giffey a lot. Good defender and a very good shooter. He's too talented to sit on the bench and not play 15 minutes

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The IQ on this board is plummeting. Roscoe is a really, really good interior defender, much better than Giffey or Daniels. I think we play too much 3 guard, because I think we have a ton of big athletic talent which is a matchup nightmare for 75% of teams out there. Just about every Big East team has 3 good guards. We keep playing to other teams' strengths.

Reaction Score
I think we should play the 8 guys who played today all the time. Im sorry but Roscoe should only play if a big guy is in foul trouble or if the other team has an elite wing who is giving us trouble.

Roscoe shouldnt play a minute at SF, Giffey and Daniels are both better than him as a 3.

Roscoe needs to be in the rotation...his confidence is shot...needs 1 good game...his defense and toughness are going to be needed...

Reaction Score
You think Roscoe should play 3 because he is a better interrior defender than Daniels and Giffey?

Like I said when we play UK or UNC Roscoe will prolly have to play some three those teams have an elite three. If we were to ever play OSU Roscoe might have to play some 4 to guard Deshaun Thomas. He brings defense I agree but most teams dont have a great 6'8 perimeter player, So we can get by with three guards or Daniels/Giffey.

Roscoe has a terrible handle, his shot has been terrible 15% from 3, and is a horrible passer/decision maker. He can bring energy an defense as a 4 man.

All I'm saying is I would like to see Giffey/Daniels get the minutes Roscoe has been getting at the three no need to get upset.

This isn't a one game reaction he has been horrible at the 3 all year long.

Reaction Score
Roscoe is the best defender at the three on the team. Daniels is a better offensive player and Giffey is probably the most well rounded. Roscoe is also the best rebounder at the three. I do think Roscoe plays the four well and his minutes should be spread between the 3 and the 4. I don't think him not playing any 3 is the answer though. There are going to be some teams where his defense at that position will be key. For example UK, Cuse and OSU. There will be other games where a three guard lineup will be better, or Giffey/Daniels will be better options.

This is 100% correct.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
As we all know, it's tough to have so many good players, but I think that Giffey deserves more time. I agree that he is the most well-r0unded of the 3's and I think a case can be made that he is the best defender. It looked to me that he did the best job against Harkless when he was in, although he was quick to switch leaving Bazz to guard Harkless briefly a couple of times. He has quick hands and can be a very good passer. The pass he made to Lamb late in the game for the big dunk was perfectly timed and right on the money in a bang-bang play.

I think that there are multiple guys whose minutes will rise and fall with the competition this year. Roscoe is a great kid and he is the strongest and the best rebounder of the 3's, but he has not played well so far. He was called for fouls within 3 seconds of entering the game twice today. There will be games where he will be the best fit at the 3 or 4, but I agree with many that his best role is at the 4 when we need more speed and perimeter defense.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Daniels has done little to warrant being ahead of Roscoe in the rotation

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
You think Roscoe should play 3 because he is a better interrior defender than Daniels and Giffey?

Like I said when we play UK or UNC Roscoe will prolly have to play some three those teams have an elite three. If we were to ever play OSU Roscoe might have to play some 4 to guard Deshaun Thomas. He brings defense I agree but most teams dont have a great 6'8 perimeter player, So we can get by with three guards or Daniels/Giffey.

Roscoe has a terrible handle, his shot has been terrible 15% from 3, and is a horrible passer/decision maker. He can bring energy an defense as a 4 man.

All I'm saying is I would like to see Giffey/Daniels get the minutes Roscoe has been getting at the three no need to get upset.

This isn't a one game reaction he has been horrible at the 3 all year long.
I think this is a much better and less contentious post than your OP. It is detailed and well explained. The first post basically states the same thing but without the explanation it came across differently and it did not define the importance of having RS available for the 3 against certain teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom