The 25 best college basketball teams of the past 25 years | The Boneyard

The 25 best college basketball teams of the past 25 years

Reaction Score
I hate to beat a dead horse, but ... well, here goes: If the '99 team is the best team of the last 25 years, how can the Duke team that lost to them in the final be the fifth biggest dud of the last 25 years? I fail to see the logic.

Reaction Score
I hate to beat a dead horse, but ... well, here goes: If the '99 team is the best team of the last 25 years, how can the Duke team that lost to them in the final be the fifth biggest dud of the last 25 years? I fail to see the logic.
I guess it depends on what you consider a dud. Is losing in the title game against the best team of the past 25 years a bigger dud than starting the season ranked #1 and failing to make the tournament? If that Duke team - which is arguably K's best team ever - had lost in the first weekend, then that is a much bigger dud than losing in the title game.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Nothing like getting basic facts wrong.

"... only two losses. In one of those (a 59-42 defeat vs. Syracuse), Richard "Rip" Hamilton (21.5 PPG) -- Most Outstanding Player in the Final Four that season -- played while injured..."

He and Jake both sat out.

Reaction Score
Medcalf has them as the #4 best team in the last 25 years. They're the only team in his top 10 that didn't win the National Championship. So I guess that's the thinking. If UConn lost that game then I bet he doesn't have them anywhere near #1.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I guess it is fair not to include last year's 22-23 UConn team b/c of having UConn #1 and having UConn #6 and mostly b/c it wasn't the best 25 NCAA tournament teams/performances so last year's regular season factors in.

Reaction Score
I guess it is fair not to include last year's 22-23 UConn team b/c of having UConn #1 and having UConn #6 and mostly b/c it wasn't the best 25 NCAA tournament teams/performances so last year's regular season factors in.
Not winning conference or conference tournament and having 8 losses is going to keep that team off a lot of these lists, despite the dominant tournament.

Reaction Score
I think if it wasn't for the January slump and the #4 seed in the tourney the '23 huskies would be in conversation for best modern NCAA team, where was the weakness with us when we were clicking?

Reaction Score
I think if it wasn't for the January slump and the #4 seed in the tourney the '23 huskies would be in conversation for best modern NCAA team, where was the weakness with us when we were clicking?

It's hard to get too worked up about these lists but I agree last year's team should have been on here, especially when he's got a 6 or 7 loss MSU team ranked pretty highly.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
meh . take it as a compliment . That one loss Duke team in 99 would be called the greatest team in College Hoops history if it wasnt for us.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Not winning conference or conference tournament and having 8 losses is going to keep that team off a lot of these lists, despite the dominant tournament.

"Were so lucky" Im going to ride that mantra all the way until title ten.

Reaction Score
I don't get too worked up about these type of lists either, but it is nice to see UConn teams getting their credit that is overdue. That 1999 team was really good and they triple crowned the season winning the BE regular season, BE tournament, and the National Championship. I do think the UConn 2023 will go down as one of the better teams of all time and I see some teams on this list they are definitely better than, but I think Medcalf is looking at the seasons as well. The Villanova 2018 team is underrated IMO by a lot and should be a top 10 team.

The UConn 2023 did get screwed over with the BE officiating and I hate saying that as I very rarely talk about officiating. I am good at separating my UConn bias out of these kind of takes, but you don't have to believe me. The Marquette website agrees with this take, too.

Reaction Score
Pleasantly surprised to see 99 and 04 ranked highly by a site that has tons of Cuse grads, expected less of ESPN, but got more than expected. Could 22-23 been ranked towards the end of the TOP 25? Sure, but that was a pretty serious slump, not so sure any of the top 25 teams have quite that long of a slump in their seasons. I think if 22-23 had, perhaps, 2 fewer losses in January, let's say SHall, Xavier, perhaps that last game vs Creighton.

Reaction Score
Pleasantly surprised to see 99 and 04 ranked highly by a site that has tons of Cuse grads, expected less of ESPN, but got more than expected. Could 22-23 been ranked towards the end of the TOP 25? Sure, but that was a pretty serious slump, not so sure any of the top 25 teams have quite that long of a slump in their seasons. I think if 22-23 had, perhaps, 2 fewer losses in January, let's say SHall, Xavier, perhaps that last game vs Creighton.
...win 2 or 3 of those, easily top 25.

Reaction Score
The UConn 2023 did get screwed over with the BE officiating and I hate saying that as I very rarely talk about officiating. I am good at separating my UConn bias out of these kind of takes, but you don't have to believe me. The Marquette website agrees with this take, too.

Great review. We did get screwed by the refs. And that speaks very poorly of the Big East as everyone knew what was going on. The league tolerated unprofessional behavior. Period. If refs don't want to be criticized, pick another profession. They acted like babies. How about this - Do your job and officiate the game fairly!

That said, when you win the NC, everything that happened in the regular season played a part. So wouldn't change a thing.

Reaction Score
Great review. We did get screwed by the refs. And that speaks very poorly of the Big East as everyone knew what was going on. The league tolerated unprofessional behavior. Period. If refs don't want to be criticized, pick another profession. They acted like babies. How about this - Do your job and officiate the game fairly!

That said, when you win the NC, everything that happened in the regular season played a part. So wouldn't change a thing.
Hard not to think last years team not on there. How 'bout "top 25 March Madness teams" =#1

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Hard not to think last years team not on there. How 'bout "top 25 March Madness teams" =#1
That would be an interesting exercise because they are all undefeated. Criteria could be point margin, level of opponent, exceeding expectations, individual player awards and draft position...

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
All that counts is who was left standing in 5 of those 25 years

Reaction Score
How does the 2011 team get overlooked?
Won every game outside the conference, including the Maui Classic (Wichita St, MSU, and total blow out of Kentucky), so does that mean their losses in the conference outweighed their dominance of the rest of the country?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

DH did not help the cause the first 3/4 of the games last year. He acted like the baby with his unprofessional behavior until someone got in his ear and told him to cut the crap (do your job and coach the players not the refs). His performance the last 1/4 of the year was a breath of fresh air. The attitude of the team in general changed at that point.

Reaction Score
How does the 2011 team get overlooked?
Won every game outside the conference, including the Maui Classic (Wichita St, MSU, and total blow out of Kentucky), so does that mean their losses in the conference outweighed their dominance of the rest of the country?
They went 9-9 in conference and finished in 9th place. They were excellent out of conference all season and it was a great 11 game run to end the season, but that team would never make a list like this.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom