The 2023 Gavitt Games between the Big East and the Big Ten could potentially feature all 11 Big East teams. | The Boneyard

The 2023 Gavitt Games between the Big East and the Big Ten could potentially feature all 11 Big East teams.

Reaction Score
I think they will be matching us against Purdue or Michigan State which should be the last power 5 game of the non-conference.

Reaction Score
The powers that be have to give us Purdue UConn. Battle of the trees. Let it happen!
You'd think whatever networks has the rights to the event would kill to see that. Because fans across the country will want to see it. Including me!

Reaction Score
So what exactly is going on here? Obviously we're the team that hasn't participated, and I had some recollection that we would never be in it because everything was signed before we were back in the Big East. So is this them redoing the contract now that we're National Champs, or was this somehow always the plan?

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
wow our OOC would be insane if it happens.

Potentially:

at Kansas
vs UNC (Jimmy V)
vs 2 of Texas / Indiana / Louisville
H against a Big 10 school (both Purdue & MSU had home games last year, so they will be on the road if they participate this year…)

Who knows how many quality games that truly ends up being, but from a brand name perspective it’s certainly fun.

At least 2 Quad 1 opportunities, most likely 3, possibly 4, unlikely but possibly 5…

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The new Big 10 commish comes in and says "We're cock blocking the best program in the country why? Kobayashi Maru it!"

Reaction Score
I wish the big east would play a better league then the big 10
Big 10 had 10 teams finish in the top 50 NET. Big 12 had 8. SEC had 7. ACC had 5. Big East had 4.

They’re not very top-heavy, but for an interesting inter-conference challenge, I don’t have a problem with it

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Big 10 had 10 teams finish in the top 50 NET. Big 12 had 8. SEC had 7. ACC had 5.

They’re not very top-heavy, but for an interesting inter-conference challenge, I don’t have a problem with it

I believe after the B1G's most recent NCAA tourney performance, you............

Dudedad What GIF

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
So what exactly is going on here? Obviously we're the team that hasn't participated, and I had some recollection that we would never be in it because everything was signed before we were back in the Big East. So is this them redoing the contract now that we're National Champs, or was this somehow always the plan?
My guess is that some combination of the B1G and the broadcast partner said to the BE "we're not doing this if we don't get UConn" and the BE's response was "we're not dropping one of the initial schools so we will need an eleventh game".

Reactions: MJ1

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
My guess is that some combination of the B1G and the broadcast partner said to the BE "we're not doing this if we don't get UConn" and the BE's response was "we're not dropping one of the initial schools so we will need an eleventh game".
I like to think BIG as in the BIG wants to determine if UConn is an economic fit for them.

Reaction Score
Yes, the AD has no more excuses for poor OOC as they are now forced to participate in both this and BE-Big 12 challenge.
@shizzle787 probably thinks we had a poor tournament schedule...

Back to the thread, very happy for this development!

After winning the national championship, bethinks we'd get the cream of the conference: Purdue or Michigan State are my guesses.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom