The 2016 Team in a Nutshell | The Boneyard

The 2016 Team in a Nutshell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but Zay Jones' 19 catches yesterday are more than any Husky has on the season, excluding Noel Thomas. Newsome is our second leading receiver with 18 catches. Yuck.

Reaction Score
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but Zay Jones' 19 catches yesterday are more than any Husky has on the season, excluding Noel Thomas. Newsome is our second leading receiver with 18 catches. Yuck.
It just shines another light on the many conversations on here about Sheriffs not being a very good QB and locking on to specific receivers instead of working through his progressions on a pass play.

Reaction Score
Didn't Syracuse wr have record day too? Seems our soft zone keep people in front of us philosophy is ummmmm level 1 performance at best
100 level. I thought they'd be to 300-400 level in the defense by now.

Reaction Score
I agree, Yuck. At the same time, Noel Thomas has had big games against opponents and yet the Huskies have still lost. One stand out receiver doesn't make or break an offense. So if Thomas can do it and the team still loses, how do their opponents get it done? The supporting cast is stronger? Or the QB spreads it around and sees the whole field? I think the latter.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
We play a mind numbing bend-but-don't-break (except we often do break) style of defense. Our DBs line up 10-15 yards off the LoS on 95% of defensive plays and we routinely play soft zone. Opposing OCs know this, know how to attack it (quick slants, crossing routes, instructing receivers to find a soft spot in the zone and sit, etc), and can very easily draw up gameplans to attack our defense. This would all be fine if we had an offense that could routine score in the upper 20s or 30s on a weekly basis. We don't. We don't have an offense that can be relied upon to put up 10 points in a game. That makes playing bend-but-don't break conducive to losing. If our offense and ST can't be relied upon to gain yards and points, we have to start ballhawking and forcing pressure on opposing offenses to create turnovers. We don't. Game in and game out we allow opponents to dictate the pace of play and field position and we just go along for the ride. Passive defense + passive offense + zero special teams = losing.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The team in a nutshell is getting behind early (for whatever reason), going long stretches without scoring touchdowns (for whatever reason), and allowing teams to move the ball easily before giving up a big play (for whatever reason) surrounded by some objectively decent football.

Conclusion: We play like a drunk trying to walk a straight line. Lean left, lean right, and only occasionally staying on the line.

Reaction Score
^^^ this. Offense, wrong plan; defense; wrong plan; specials, mostly wrong plan. Puyol has been a plus.

This was for Dooley's post. Sorry.

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
Game after game. BS locks onto Noel. Zero point zero progressions. One of my tailgate buddies played at UCF and he is my go-to color commentator at the Rent. He is always counting and spotting matchups and callimg them out, and we watch open receivers run routes just for the exercise. We have moved down low during games to the point where we could see Bryant's eyes. he only has eyes for Noel , hence the Noel-or-run so many times. it's uncanny. Thomas is a beast, but we all know he can't carry the weight of this dumpster fire on his back. Up close , you can see and hear his frustration. I wish him great things at the next level. He deserves better.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I wish I was joking in a post on another thread yesterday about our defense being as easy to read as the one I played in HS 40 years ago. The thing is there biggest difference from then to now is then it made some sense as you could count on one hand (shy of late game comeback attempts) the first down passes you would see all year.

It was infuriating as the few times we moved from zone to man coverage, ECU knew while they were calling signals what the coverage was. Our defensive strategy is to wait for the offense to make a mistake. A legitimate, sophisticated short passing game could hit triple digits against us if they wanted to.

Reaction Score
We play a mind numbing bend-but-don't-break (except we often do break) style of defense. Our DBs line up 10-15 yards off the LoS on 95% of defensive plays and we routinely play soft zone. Opposing OCs know this, know how to attack it (quick slants, crossing routes, instructing receivers to find a soft spot in the zone and sit, etc), and can very easily draw up gameplans to attack our defense. This would all be fine if we had an offense that could routine score in the upper 20s or 30s on a weekly basis. We don't. We don't have an offense that can be relied upon to put up 10 points in a game. That makes playing bend-but-don't break conducive to losing. If our offense and ST can't be relied upon to gain yards and points, we have to start ballhawking and forcing pressure on opposing offenses to create turnovers. We don't. Game in and game out we allow opponents to dictate the pace of play and field position and we just go along for the ride. Passive defense + passive offense + zero special teams = losing.
I wouldn't say break, they're already cracked to start. Cracks lead to leaks and leaks lead to floods. Just about every uptempo offense they have played this season has done so. Every offense they have played has had at least mild success. Why not show more physicality at the line of scrimmage on defense. and not just from the DL. Throw off routes and intimidate someone for a change.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
To me, this season is a reflection of HCBD's brag that a lot of the members of his "vaunted" defensive secondary will be playing on Sundays.
This secondary plain sucks
He bragged about the size of his offensive line - that line has near zero athletic ability
He talks about the ability of his TEs - he never uses them
He has tired me out with hollow optimism.
He has proven that he is not capable, at this time, to be a HC at this level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom