The 2014 Roster Diaco Had to Deal With | The Boneyard

The 2014 Roster Diaco Had to Deal With

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I looked back at the projected 2014 roster when Diaco was hired and compared it to who actually was still around by the 4th game. It is hard to believe what Diaco had to deal with. Look at the losses by position:

QB: Casey Cochrane, Kivon Taylor
RB: Lyle McCombs, Joe Williams
WR: Shakim Phillips
TE: Elijah Norris, Scott McCummings
OL: Xavier Hemingway, Bryan Paull
DL: Angelo Pruitt
LB: Jefferson Ashiru
DB: Ty-Meer Brown, Tyree Clark, Byron Jones

I count up to 8 possible starters were lost. Think about that for a second.

Here's another tidbit. Only 2 O-linemen from the final 2 deep in 2013 were still around: Alex Mateas and Dalton Gifford. Gus Cruz came back, but he was injured.

The roster was so decimated last year that it was clear that it was a total rebuilding process which is why we saw so many true freshmen play. Diaco said and did some whacky things last year, but he was handed a mess.

Reaction Score
I looked back at the projected 2014 roster when Diaco was hired and compared it to who actually was still around by the 4th game. It is hard to believe what Diaco had to deal with. Look at the losses by position:

QB: Casey Cochrane, Kivon Taylor
RB: Lyle McCombs, Joe Williams
WR: Shakim Phillips
TE: Elijah Norris, Scott McCummings
OL: Xavier Hemingway, Bryan Paull
DL: Angelo Pruitt
LB: Jefferson Ashiru
DB: Ty-Meer Brown, Tyree Clark, Byron Jones

I count up to 8 possible starters were lost. Think about that for a second.

Here's another tidbit. Only 2 O-linemen from the final 2 deep in 2013 were still around: Alex Mateas and Dalton Gifford. Gus Cruz came back, but he was injured.

The roster was so decimated last year that it was clear that it was a total rebuilding process which is why we saw so many true freshmen play. Diaco said and did some whacky things last year, but he was handed a mess.

Let me state the obvious ... this University NEEDS Bob Diaco to be one heckuva Development HC. In a very tight timeframe, he needs to take recruit classes that were small (and the Jan 2014 suffered from really quick turnaround) and put together a really formidable team of 40 kids that really can play at a high level.

The AAC is no joke, as much as some here want to say. The programs we are going to play, UCF/ECU/Navy/Cincy, all play football at a high level. We need to believe that this Program can take the Edsall formula of bringing kids in from the less scrutinized New England, PA, NJ, NY, Quebec + some FL & GA ... can come together. Diaco, though, needs to win a good amount this year. Unlike others here, I think the fanbase is ready to come back if the team is competitive.

As crazy as some of the things Diaco says sometimes, I believe in his energy and his ability to bring a solid staff of coaches in. Should be a very interesting fall 2015.

Reaction Score
Pudge
I think that is a pretty good analysis of the situation. My problem is that based on what I saw last year I am far from ready to say we have the right guy to do what needs to happen. We need to see MUCH progress in 2015.

Reaction Score
I'm nitpicking, but Byron Jones was there from beginning to end (until his Shoulder Injury) for Diaco's first year. But I made note of the same thing endlessly, to the dismay of some around here. The roster was thinned out for a multitude of reasons and they weren't able to adequately compete with such a young roster. One year later, a ton more experience, it is hard not to expect better things from staff and team.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
I'm nitpicking, but Byron Jones was there from beginning to end (until his Shoulder Injury) for Diaco's first year. But I made note of the same thing endlessly, to the dismay of some around here. The roster was thinned out for a multitude of reasons and they weren't able to adequately compete with such a young roster. One year later, a ton more experience, it is hard not to expect better things from staff and team.
FWIW - Player attrition was not an issue @USF. @Tulane @ ARMY and SMU.

Reaction Score
Pudge
I think that is a pretty good analysis of the situation. My problem is that based on what I saw last year I am far from ready to say we have the right guy to do what needs to happen. We need to see MUCH progress in 2015.

Your problem is you lack patience and aren't listening to the players or the recruits. They all want to play for Diaco and are excited about the future.
Cut the guy some slack and let the cake bake.

Reaction Score
FWIW - Player attrition was not an issue @USF. @Tulane @ ARMY and SMU.
Ha really? Most happened before game 1. And saw other casualties throughout the season. Do share how this was not at all an issue. At one point down to 61 scholarship athletes I believe majority of which were FR and SO.

Reaction Score
Really? Care to share with us the research that brought you to that conclusion?
Especially considering these four games took place in the latter half of the schedule when the roster was at an all time low.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
Really? Care to share with us the research that brought you to that conclusion?
Love to. Traveled to the Army game in person and watched no defensive scheme change after being continuously run on - and I know it's tough to match up and play and wishbone team, ask all their other opponents- I can pull stats if needed; then watched as the staff shuttled in and out players in the final minutes with players motioning to the sidelines to hurry up and then failed to use times out wisely.

Do you want analysis on SMU as well with the 21 - actually 13 - point halftime lead?
And the two others ?

The talent was there to beat those teams.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Love to. Traveled to the Army game in person and watched no defensive scheme change after being continuously run on - and I know it's tough to match up and play and wishbone team, ask all their other opponents- I can pull stats if needed; then watched as the staff shuttled in and out players in the final minutes with players motioning to the sidelines to hurry up and then failed to use times out wisely.

Do you want analysis on SMU as well with the 21 - actually 13 - point halftime lead?
And the two others ?

Yet you're describing coaching/scheme issues and not lack of depth or talent issues. If it was problem early in the season, how could it not be an issue at the end of the season? You're still a bonehead.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
Yet you're describing coaching/scheme issues and not lack of depth or talent issues. If it was problem early in the season, how could it not be an issue at the end of the season? You're still a bonehead.
Reading is fundamental - not knowing when to call a timeout is not dependent on the number of scholarship players in a 7 point football game. How were they able to be with in 7 points without having the same talent as Army?

So, how were they able to compete and stay close with those teams mentioned above, and beat UCF, with no talent? Coaching?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
2nd half SMU. 7 possessions.
Fumble Newsome, TD SMU
Fumble Foxx, TD SMU
FG Blocked
Fumble Delerenzo

Boyle incomplete, Boyle incomplete...Johnson short gain, Johnson short gain
Through in a couple of personal fouls and a bad punt or 2 for field position.

Reaction Score
Reading is fundamental - not knowing when to call a timeout is not dependent on the number of scholarship players in a 7 point football game. How were they able to be with in 7 points without having the same talent as Army?

So, how were they able to compete and stay close with those teams mentioned above, and beat UCF, with no talent? Coaching?
Turnovers

Reaction Score

And the two others ?

We are talking about having a thin roster due to injuries and low count of scholarship players.

You seem to imply the other teams were in the same boat and now you go off on some tangent.

Reading is fundamental.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
We are talking about having a thin roster due to injuries and low count of scholarship players.

You seem to imply the other teams were in the same boat and now you go off on some tangent.

Reading is fundamental.
He said the roster was thinned and they weren't able to adequately compete?
Normally a close FB score indicates teams with similar talent and a competitive game.
I wasn't going on a tangent I was making my case, for what's it is worth, I felt the team had enough talent after attrition to adequately compete against the teams mentioned.

In regards to army I cannot say Army had more talent on their team than UConn, when they played in NYC.

I don't remember, nor did I mean to imply others teams were in the same boat

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Again if it wasn't an issue to begin the season against other teams, how is not an issue at the end of the season. If there is a lack of talent and players to start the season, there is a lack of talent and players to finish the season. PERIOD. and thats it. The UCF win happened in poor poor weather conditions. That equals the playing field. QB threw 3 INT's to the same guy. How often does that happen? Upsets happen. We see it in college athletics on the regular.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
Again if it wasn't an issue to begin the season against other teams, how is not an issue at the end of the season. If there is a lack of talent and players to start the season, there is a lack of talent and players to finish the season. PERIOD. and thats it. The UCF win happened in poor poor weather conditions. That equals the playing field. QB threw 3 INT's to the same guy. How often does that happen? Upsets happen. We see it in college athletics on the regular.

You win - the roster had low numbers. No refutting this.

I win - even with the low roster numbers, the talent was there to adequately compete against USF, Tulane, ARMY and SMU.

Reaction Score
Diaco pooped the bed last year. He wasn't ready and his team showed it.

Quit blaming the kids, a fish rots from the head down. Even worse, the coach tried to hide his deficiencies by not trying. He blamed the culture. Blaah.

I hope he learned a lot last year.

Reaction Score
Diaco pooped the bed last year. He wasn't ready and his team showed it.

Quit blaming the kids, a fish rots from the head down. Even worse, the coach tried to hide his deficiencies by not trying. He blamed the culture. Blaah.

I hope he learned a lot last year.

When I see you at the Nova game, you better have that sheet eating grin of yours on, because you can't really believe what you are typing. You know exactly what the twins did to this team.

Reaction Score
When I see you at the Nova game, you better have that sheet eating grin of yours on, because you can't really believe what you are typing. You know exactly what the twins did to this team.

Pasqualoni was handed a team with about 12 future NFL players on it and a bunch of the same posters claimed the cupboard was bare. The problem was that P. was a bad coach.

Now, we hear the same ting about Diaco. A few years from now we'll find out there was plenty of talent on that team. The problem was that Diaco wasn't ready last year. He made more bizarre decisions than a freshman on Molly. Let's hope he grew up in the off season.

Reaction Score
Why are you guys constantly looking over your shoulder at what already happened? It's water under the bridge for crying out loud. How about analyzing this season. Contemplate some of the match up problems and exploits.

Example: Thanksgiving weekend, UConn @ Temple, with a bowl invite on the line, tie score with a half minute left UConn finds themselves on Temple's 5 yard line. The call is to pitch it to Johnson on a sweep to the right. Who picks up Matakevich?

Example: What type of D is Villanova running these days? Your on Nova's 1 yard line, to punch it in up the middle who do you put in the back field with Johnson as the lead blocker? Clax? A tight end? Maybe another O-lineman? Do you split two RB's wishbone style and put Newsome in motion as a distraction?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate