That's not a dunk, THIS is a dunk | The Boneyard

That's not a dunk, THIS is a dunk

Status
Not open for further replies.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Mercy! Considering I'm at the age where I can't jump off a curb. The athletic ability displayed by some of these young ladies these days is incredible. Here's hoping someone, somewhere along the line teaches her basketball.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I keep wondering if Gabby can dunk? She’s a world class high jumper. While curling your body over a high jump bar backwards is not the same thing as jumping vertically and dunking a ball on a 10’ basket, I figure if Gabby can high jump 74”, she ought to be able to get a running vertical jump of say 36”.

We have already seen Gabby’s spectacular leaping rebounds and shot blocks, where she appears to be well above a 2’ standing vertical leap. She is usually good for 1 or 2 steals a game where she goes the length of the court and finishes by jumping effortlessly to lay the ball high off the glass.

If Gabby is approximately 6’, then with her arms extended she is about 8’. On the run, even with the ball in her hand, I believe she can get that 36” vertical and throw it down.

I’ll bet someone out there has a video of Gabby dunking in practice….

Reaction Score
I keep wondering if Gabby can dunk? She’s a world class high jumper. While curling your body over a high jump bar backwards is not the same thing as jumping vertically and dunking a ball on a 10’ basket, I figure if Gabby can high jump 74”, she ought to be able to get a running vertical jump of say 36”.

We have already seen Gabby’s spectacular leaping rebounds and shot blocks, where she appears to be well above a 2’ standing vertical leap. She is usually good for 1 or 2 steals a game where she goes the length of the court and finishes by jumping effortlessly to lay the ball high off the glass.

If Gabby is approximately 6’, then with her arms extended she is about 8’. On the run, even with the ball in her hand, I believe she can get that 36” vertical and throw it down.

I chuckled at the start of the East Carolina game when Gabby's opponent in the center circle did not even contest for the opening tip.
:D

Reaction Score
Mercy! Considering I'm at the age where I can't jump off a curb. The athletic ability displayed by some of these young ladies these days is incredible. Here's hoping someone, somewhere along the line teaches her basketball.
Wait a couple of years and you'll be falling off those curbs. She is something else. Remember Jessica Moore---she was the biggest project -project--she turned out to be a Pro player. If they could teach her to be a good center--this kids a shoe-in.

Huskie78

Husky fan stuck in South Bend
Reaction Score

From Oct. 2011:

Williams concedes that the rehab -- and no basketball -- has been tough on his daughter.

"It’s been tougher mentally than physically for her,” he said. “She’s not used to being down. Mentally, for her, she’s competing in a different way. I don’t think she is questioning whether she is going to come back or not. She just misses the energy, the teams, the actual competing seeing if she can push herself. …

“Right now, she’s almost there," he continued. "She wants to play. But I want to make sure she’s ready. She has UConn ahead of her. That’s her future right now. I can’t stop her from playing but I want to make sure she at the level she needs to be. So I’ve kind of challenged her and told her, ‘When you can dunk the basketball consistently, you can play.’ “

Source: Gabby Williams Rehab Coming Along | NBC Connecticut Gabby Williams Rehab Coming Along
Follow us: @nbcconnecticut on Twitter | NBCConnecticut on Facebook

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I’ve kind of challenged her and told her, ‘When you can dunk the basketball consistently, you can play.
Thanks for the info. It appears that Ms. Williams may be holding out on us...:rolleyes:

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
That is awesome. Now, don't let her decide that she would rather play volleyball than basketball.

Regis High School is right here in the Denver area. I will have to go out and watch one of her games. Maybe I will see Mulkey there.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

I think her issue will be the size of her hands. She will probably have to dunk with two hands if her hands are not big enough to palm a basketball, and that is a little more challenging than the one handed dunk.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Is it really the case that she's only 6'1"?? if so, that's incredible

Francesca Belibi's High School Girls Basketball Stats

very raw, but huge possibilities....kind of person Geno & Co. can make the best out of.

What leads you to think that her talent is very raw? Is there something that you see in that clip that leads you to think that she doesn't have basketball skills or have you seen other footage of her playing?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think her issue will be the size of her hands. She will probably have to dunk with two hands if her hands are not big enough to palm a basketball, and that is a little more challenging than the one handed dunk.
According to the article posted by Huskee78, Gabby can already dunk, although we don't appear to have any video confirmation of that claim. As far as palming a basketball is concerned, it's not absolutely necessary to palm a ball to dunk it. You merely need to control it. If you look at the video of the high school girl, she doesn't actually palm the ball when she dunks.

It may simply be that, like Stewie before her, Gabby is reluctant to attempt a dunk during a game?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Regis plays today at 4:30. I think I will go catch the game. I want to get a look at this girl and see what kind of basketball skills she brings to the table along with that leaping ability.

Reaction Score
What leads you to think that her talent is very raw? Is there something that you see in that clip that leads you to think that she doesn't have basketball skills or have you seen other footage of her playing?
thanks for this. I had read this article, but never cited it. I absorbed it uncritically.

Belibi is 6-foot-1 and 174 pounds. Never mind that she is as raw as a cold Rocky Mountain morning in January. Though she entered this season not even knowing the rules of basketball, Belibi is near the front of the line to become the first girl to dunk in a Colorado high school game, and do it regularly.

Francesca Belibi of Regis Jesuit may be first girl to dunk in Colorado high school game – The Denver Post

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
thanks for this. I had read this article, but never cited it. I absorbed it uncritically.

Belibi is 6-foot-1 and 174 pounds. Never mind that she is as raw as a cold Rocky Mountain morning in January. Though she entered this season not even knowing the rules of basketball, Belibi is near the front of the line to become the first girl to dunk in a Colorado high school game, and do it regularly.

Francesca Belibi of Regis Jesuit may be first girl to dunk in Colorado high school game – The Denver Post

If this girl is averaging 21 points, 15 rebounds and 3.4 blocks a game and is a raw talent, sign her up today. By the time she is a senior she may be averaging 30 and 20 a game. I am guessing that she may not have every played organized basketball but that she had picked up the ball a time or two before playing for her HS team.

I will provide a first hand report. I HAVE to go see this girl play now that I have seen that video.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

BTW, this article that you are citing is a year old. Not sure if she is still as raw "as a cold Rocky Mountain morning in January."

But I can confirm that January in the Rocky Mountains is cold. We had a low this week of 9 below zero.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr. Cam

Top Bottom