That was the most BIZARRE announcing feed . . . | The Boneyard

That was the most BIZARRE announcing feed . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Once and a while the mike will be left on momentarily and the production crew quickly picks up on it and that's that.

Tonight I had the opportunity to listen to Bob Joyce "unfiltered" during every timeout, commercial break and half time.

I was taken aback by his unabashed lack of enthusiasm for the game and the nasty way he conveyed this during each break. I was under the impression that Bob Joyce was a fan of UCONN WBB...now I'm not so sure.

Reaction Score
Once and a while the mike will be left on momentarily and the production crew quickly picks up on it and that's that.

Tonight I had the opportunity to listen to Bob Joyce "unfiltered" during every timeout, commercial break and half time.

I was taken aback by his unabashed lack of enthusiasm for the game and the nasty way he conveyed this during each break.
I Agree, plus the broadcast - audio and video - was pathetic besides that. And they never bothered to find out - or let us know - why Williams missed warmups, didn't come in til late, etc.

Reaction Score
Do we really need this?
Not quite sure what your question is about...I was merely stating that I've never watched a game with the mike left on for almost the entire game...and the "off-air" commentary by Bob Joyce was surprising to me.

Reaction Score
I did not hear the game since I was in the XL. Sounds like the in studio engineer was completely asleep at the wheel and I would hope his incompetence is addressed. As far as Bob Joyce goes, it is sad that those who listened had to hear his comments. Even if he thought he was off air, it doesn't speak well for him. Kind of like the old question "if you could read the minds of other people would you really want to? " I know I wouldn't. I'm afraid I wouldn't like anyone if I knew all their thoughts.

A couple of emails to WTIC should make the point. Or tweet your displeasure. Trust me... it will be heard.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Minority opinion; I thought he did an excellent job of reporting the action on the court, except, of course, for the regrettable conflation of Gabby Edwards and Sadie Williams. At least, he did not wander off into meaningless drivel about the players cousins in pro curling and stuff, as has become the regrettable practice for tv announcers. My only real complaint is about the way they crank up the volume about 100% when they go to a commercial, and Bob is certainly not responsible for that. And since it was free, who am I to complain? At the price, it was good, especially for us out here on the edge of civilization where the news generally comes by tramp steamer.

Reaction Score
I'll give them credit for at least their "off air" on air comments weren't off-color. Nothing ultra-embarrassing except the whining and aforementioned lack of enthusiasm. Just a really low-budget production (make that "really really"). Maybe they didn't have certain tech crew they were accustomed to. ?? At least I could see the game.

Reaction Score
Do we really need you questioning whether we need it?
This and other complaints during the game thread suggest yes.
We are provided with radio broadcast and commmentary free of charge and we have to run them down?
No one is forced to listen. Some folk's sense of entitlement is unjustified IMO.

Reaction Score
We are provided with radio broadcast and commmentary free of charge and we have to run them down?
No one is forced to listen. Some folk's sense of entitlement is unjustified IMO.
I paid $10 (video broadcast) for a month, during which this is the only broadcast I can't get somewhere else. No biggie, and I do appreciate the opportunity to watch the game, but I think it does entitle me to complain.

Reaction Score
Bob Joyce was totally unprofessional. I paid to watch the game and did not appreciate the hack job he did.

Reaction Score
Sonny44 said:

On the contrary. If you weren't at the game and wanted to hear the game, you WERE forced to listen. It isn't the game commentary people are questioning. I don't think it is asking a lot for the "voice of the Huskies" to comport himself in a manner that doesn't seem like the job is a snoozer. The fact that apparently no one at WTIC seemed aware of the open mic is the bigger issue for me. Some engineer has some 'splaning to do.

Reaction Score
I paid $10 (video broadcast) for a month, during which this is the only broadcast I can't get somewhere else. No biggie, and I do appreciate the opportunity to watch the game, but I think it does entitle me to complain.
Just two comments:
1. My post referred specifically to the radio broadcast, but you can spend your money any way you wish.
2. If anyone didn't like it, why not comment to them or the station directly instead of invoking public embarassment, [not so much you, but others were worse]? What does this accomplish here? Take some action that might make a difference. :)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Re the streaming broadcast, I thought that the game was called decently. Not badly, not great. But the audio that came through on the timeouts, etc. portrayed Bob as a real jerk, which was disappointing.

Reaction Score
Sonny44 said:
Just two comments:
1. My post referred specifically to the radio broadcast, but you can spend your money any way you wish.
2. If anyone didn't like it, why not comment to them or the station directly instead of invoking public embarassment, [not so much you, but others were worse]? What does this accomplish here? Take some action that might make a difference.

Public embarrassment? Come on, Don't you think that might be overstating it just a bit? This is the Boneyard, not the nightly news. I am certain as a broadcaster Mr. Joyce had faced criticism before. It comes with the territory.

Now picking on Gabby for bringing two right shoes? Geno will have a field day with that. Public embarrassment is definitely in her future.

Reaction Score
Just two comments:
2. If anyone didn't like it, why not comment to them or the station directly instead of invoking public embarassment, [not so much you, but others were worse]? What does this accomplish here? Take some action that might make a difference. :)
Whatever. I'm over it, glad there was a way to see the game, moving on...

Reaction Score

Just two comments:

Party pooper!:p

Reaction Score
I believe everyone complains about their job. If the engineer did his/her job, there would have been no problems. Being a fan isn't a job requirement. I doubt if Doris Burke is a fan of every team she works.

Signed,
Uncle Don

Reaction Score
I believe everyone complains about their job. If the engineer did his/her job, there would have been no problems. Being a fan isn't a job requirement. I doubt if Doris Burke is a fan of every team she works.

Signed,
Uncle Don
But, unlike Richard Nixon and Mitt Romney, we haven't heard her express her private frustrations unintentionally to a national audience

Reaction Score
If he announcer is a professional -- receiving money for his work -- and if the engineering crew is professional -- same definition -- the consumers of the product have a right to complain if the workers cannot even manage to turn down the announcer's mike mike when the breaks come. We've all heard extra noise for a second or two when the engineer forgets, but most often they catch it, turn down the mike, and that's that. I'm glad I didn't hear this one. I don't listen to 'TIC any more, but when I did, they were known fr professionalism. Maybe now, not so much.

Reaction Score
If he announcer is a professional -- receiving money for his work -- and if the engineering crew is professional -- same definition -- the consumers of the product have a right to complain if the workers cannot even manage to turn down the announcer's mike mike when the breaks come. We've all heard extra noise for a second or two when the engineer forgets, but most often they catch it, turn down the mike, and that's that. I'm glad I didn't hear this one. I don't listen to 'TIC any more, but when I did, they were known fr professionalism. Maybe now, not so much.
Does this service have anything to do with WTIC, other than Bob is the play-by-play guy?

Reaction Score

I was taken aback by his unabashed lack of enthusiasm for the game and the nasty way he conveyed this during each break. I was under the impression that Bob Joyce was a fan of UCONN WBB...now I'm not so sure.

What did he say?

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Bob Joyce was totally unprofessional. I paid to watch the game and did not appreciate the hack job he did.

He was great when he was on air. When he though that his mike was not live, not so much

Reaction Score
Folks....Bob here..Really..Let me sincerely apologize for the b'cast heard on the video cast. It's ALL on me. I engineer my own games and I have no excuses...it's unacceptable. You're a quality group of people that deserve a better b'cast than that...And you'll get that going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom