Thanks Again ND | The Boneyard

Thanks Again ND

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I find this hilarious and I'm beginning to wonder whether what we thought was our greatest FB moment (beating ND) was actually our worst. I didn't realize that the plan was for us to throw the game and these are the consequences.

http://www.ctnow.com/sports/hc-big-east-catholic-7-0301-20130228,0,2380943.story

Notre Dame coach Mike Brey said his school investigated the idea of sticking with the Catholic schools and forming a league in all sports but football. Instead, Notre Dame is taking all of its non-football sports to the Atlantic Coast Conference while remaining an independent in football.

Brey believes the non-football schools seem more aligned with what the Big East name represents.
"It almost seems fitting that they should have the name," Brey said. "I only say that just from the impression and who they've been in the league and how they've carried the flag for the Big East, those Catholic schools."

I wish there was some way to just take the money and run. But to where?

Reaction Score
I find this hilarious and I'm beginning to wonder whether what we thought was our greatest FB moment (beating ND) was actually our worst. I didn't realize that the plan was for us to throw the game and these are the consequences.

http://www.ctnow.com/sports/hc-big-east-catholic-7-0301-20130228,0,2380943.story

I wish there was some way to just take the money and run. But to where?
The refs certainly thought ND had to win. They screwed us multiple times at the end of the game.

Reaction Score
So I still need some explanation for that. If basketball is what the Big East name represents, then why are the schools who haven't contributed much to that name "carrying the flag?" Aside from Georgetown and Villanova, what have the other C7 schools done exactly in the last 20 years to represent basketball? Didn't Uconn, Cuse, Pitt, and Louisville do much of the flag-carrying in recent years?

Reaction Score
So I still need some explanation for that. If basketball is what the Big East name represents, then why are the schools who haven't contributed much to that name "carrying the flag?" Aside from Georgetown and Villanova, what have the other C7 schools done exactly in the last 20 years to represent basketball? Didn't Uconn, Cuse, Pitt, and Louisville do much of the flag-carrying in recent years?

Georgetown the exception but the most secular. And Nova and ND being the best of the worst.. It's a joke and he comes off looking like a shill.

Reaction Score
The Big East is dead...
In 5 years, the BE will be on the same level as the colonial, the A10, or the MVC.

we can romanticize about the catholic schools, but the fact remains, without Uconn, Syracuse, Pitt, WVU, ND, and even BC the schools are done. They'll have one or two schools make some noise in any given year, but they no longer have the big boys to lean on...

Reaction Score
The Big East is dead...
In 5 years, the BE will be on the same level as the colonial, the A10, or the MVC.

we can romanticize about the catholic schools, but the fact remains, without Uconn, Syracuse, Pitt, WVU, ND, and even BC the schools are done. They'll have one or two schools make some noise in any given year, but they no longer have the big boys to lean on...

I agree about the C7/BE Archie. After the initial novelty wears off not much to talk about for 8 months a year. We all know the former BE is totally unstable and the few who ever thought there was a romance between us and ND were just genuflecting at the alter of wishful thinking. The low-ball contract sets it up for defections or failure so you have to wonder why even bid. They will put zero resources into promoting the new "conference". Any other good news?

Reaction Score
Georgetown the exception but the most secular. And Nova and ND being the best of the worst.. It's a joke and he comes off looking like a shill.

I at least gave Nova credit for the final four run in 09, and the success they had over the last part of the decade. I know recently it hasn't been there, but I respect their accomplishments with Jay Wright. But there is no debate that the secular schools are what represented the conference.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I agree about the C7/BE Archie. After the initial novelty wears off not much to talk about for 8 months a year. We all know the former BE is totally unstable and the few who ever thought there was a romance between us and ND were just genuflecting at the alter of wishful thinking. The low-ball contract sets it up for defections or failure so you have to wonder why even bid. They will put zero resources into promoting the new "conference". Any other good news?
I think you give them too much credit. What novelty? They have to market the Sh8t sandwhich of PC vs. DePaul on a Saturday afternoon as a marque match-up. Good luck with that.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Someone in that new league will win 12 or 13 conference games. If they can compete OOC and land a name coach or recruits, ESPN will start pumping them up. Maybe they get a Big Monday slot (doubtful but possible).

Win a couple tourney games and all of a sudden they are a 4 bid league. No one will care, but in BB you only need to be mildly known to warrant TV time.

Gtown, StJ and Butler have the most to gain. Nova and Marquette, the most to lose depending on how well Temple does. The rest will still suck, but maybe they can get an NIT bid here or there now that they don't have 6-8 guaranteed losses on their conference schedule.

I still say UConn, Cincy and USF should keep the name for when the ACC is made of mostly old BE teams.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Someone in that new league will win 12 or 13 conference games. If they can compete OOC and land a name coach or recruits, ESPN will start pumping them up. Maybe they get a Big Monday slot (doubtful but possible).

Win a couple tourney games and all of a sudden they are a 4 bid league. No one will care, but in BB you only need to be mildly known to warrant TV time.

Gtown, StJ and Butler have the most to gain. Nova and Marquette, the most to lose depending on how well Temple does. The rest will still suck, but maybe they can get an NIT bid here or there now that they don't have 6-8 guaranteed losses on their conference schedule.

I still say UConn, Cincy and USF should keep the name for when the ACC is made of mostly old BE teams.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

They won't have the exposure of ESPN. They will be on Fox Sports 1 and 2.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think you give them too much credit. What novelty? They have to market the Sh8t sandwhich of PC vs. DePaul on a Saturday afternoon as a marque match-up. Good luck with that.

Compared to those USF vs Tulane games? SMU vs UCF? ECU vs anybody. The C7 plus Butler, Xavier and one of the other targets is probably the 3rd or 4th basketball conference in the country. As for Brey, you can look at the last ten years all you want, but the first ten years of the league GTown and St. Johns carried the water, along with PC, Nova, Cuse and even BC. So yes, the Catholic schools built it up, created the brand, and we were lucky enough to be along for the ride as the worst team in the league. Some of us were fans then. WVU, Cinci and Lousiville aren't even Big East schools in my view, they are newcomers who did nothing to make the conference.

The C7 has done the right thing here, and I for one an pleased that the Big East name will be carried forward by a collection of schools that put basketball first. All of which by the way, have long, proud basketball traditions, regardless of how good they may or may not be right now. PC and DePaul are both better basketball programs than the botton five schools in our new crappy conference.

Reaction Score
Here are the facts. Since 1990, the new C7 with Butler and Xavier have zero national championships and 5 final fours. The conference to be named later has had 3 national championships and 6 final fours. Last C7 national championship in 1985. Last new conference national championship is 2011.

Reaction Score
Here are the facts. Since 1990, the new C7 with Butler and Xavier have zero national championships and 5 final fours. The conference to be named later has had 3 national championships and 6 final fours. Last C7 national championship in 1985. Last new conference national championship is 2011.

ND decides what is relevant. They get to ignore the bad stretches and dig back as far as is necessary to further the narrative. It only proves how threatened the old guard is by the success of the upstarts - which sounds crazy for us after 17+ years of basketball quality.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Compared to those USF vs Tulane games? SMU vs UCF? ECU vs anybody. The C7 plus Butler, Xavier and one of the other targets is probably the 3rd or 4th basketball conference in the country. As for Brey, you can look at the last ten years all you want, but the first ten years of the league GTown and St. Johns carried the water, along with PC, Nova, Cuse and even BC. So yes, the Catholic schools built it up, created the brand, and we were lucky enough to be along for the ride as the worst team in the league. Some of us were fans then. WVU, Cinci and Lousiville aren't even Big East schools in my view, they are newcomers who did nothing to make the conference.

The C7 has done the right thing here, and I for one an pleased that the Big East name will be carried forward by a collection of schools that put basketball first. All of which by the way, have long, proud basketball traditions, regardless of how good they may or may not be right now. PC and DePaul are both better basketball programs than the botton five schools in our new crappy conference.

And what does this have to do with the price of tea in China? Do you really care that much about Conference history? I can tell you that I couldn't possibly care less anymore. The moment that I realized this was a couple years back when CBS Sportsline or Bleacher Report (one of those types of sites) produced an Internet slideshow depicting National Championships from each conference and they counted Miami's for the Big East.

In my opinion the treatment of the non-D1A football schools held the conference back, whether it was deliberate or not (I think it was), knowing full well that football drives the bus. If they want the name, fine, sell it for a king's ransom. As I said, any goodwill will be expended in a matter of years numbering in the low single digits.

Reaction Score
Regarding Brey's comments - You do realize that Catholics (Brey) believe in things they can't see, right.

Husky25

Reaction Score

About the name? No, I'm not bitter at all. It's gotten to the point really that I am Indifferent about the name. I am a bit perplexed by the schadenfreuden exhibited by non-football fans and fans of non-D1A football playing institutions (PC today in particular). The Friars' basketball program has not been entirely relevent since the Pitino era (one or two Shamgod Wells years notwithstanding).

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I don't mean this as a dig at you but I find it interesting what the C7 see as a soft landing and what we see as a soft landing. I am not saying UConn wouldn't love to even be with the C7 but imagine the outrage if we were only making $4 million a year. However, for non-fb schools that's solid money and they will be in a good bball conference.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I don't mean this as a dig at you but I find it interesting what the C7 see as a soft landing and what we see as a soft landing. I am not saying UConn wouldn't love to even be with the C7 but imagine the outrage if we were only making $4 million a year. However, for non-fb schools that's solid money and they will be in a good bball conference.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

But we are making less than $4m a year!

Reaction Score
One reason to have kept the BE name is that the ACC may turn into such a shambles with only Miami and Wake Forest remaining outside the former BE schools that it might have been better if those schools were grouped as BE schools rather than ACC schools when the ACC melts down.

Wake Forest may now end up in UConn's position, the only original member left of a conference. But really WF will have little to complain about.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
And what does this have to do with the price of tea in China? Do you really care that much about Conference history? I can tell you that I couldn't possibly care less anymore. The moment that I realized this was a couple years back when CBS Sportsline or Bleacher Report (one of those types of sites) produced an Internet slideshow depicting National Championships from each conference and they counted Miami's for the Big East.

In my opinion the treatment of the non-D1A football schools held the conference back, whether it was deliberate or not (I think it was), knowing full well that football drives the bus. If they want the name, fine, sell it for a king's ransom. As I said, any goodwill will be expended in a matter of years numbering in the low single digits.

I've been a UConn fan since the Yankee conference days. Entry into the Big East gave UConn a chance to make a name for itself, and the University has benefitted tremendously. Though the early years were lean with UConn and Seton Hall as the doormats of the league, I grew fond of the conference and was proud to be in the same conference as Georgetown, Villanova and St. Johns for example, in 1985 (my freshman year in Storrs). If being a sports fan is good for anything, it is good for making memories (first ever Gampel game vs. St. Johns in the 2nd row, lower section, Clemson game with the shot from the basement at Challenges in Harford, NIT championship and bonfire at the Jungle, and countless others). Memories bring sentiment. So I am sentimental, and have a fondness for the old Big East, which doesn't extend to newcomers like Louisville, USF and Cinci. That league gave a lot to UConn, and yes, we gave a lot back. Being arrogant towards those schools that gave us our shot and formed the league, even if we later eclipsed them, is weak and pathetic. I wish them well and thank them for the memories.

I have no room for sentiment for our soon to be conference foes. I wonder whether there ever will be.

Reaction Score
I've been a UConn fan since the Yankee conference days. Entry into the Big East gave UConn a chance to make a name for itself, and the University has benefitted tremendously. Though the early years were lean with UConn and Seton Hall as the doormats of the league, I grew fond of the conference and was proud to be in the same conference as Georgetown, Villanova and St. Johns for example, in 1985 (my freshman year in Storrs). If being a sports fan is good for anything, it is good for making memories (first ever Gampel game vs. St. Johns in the 2nd row, lower section, Clemson game with the shot from the basement at Challenges in Harford, NIT championship and bonfire at the Jungle, and countless others). Memories bring sentiment. So I am sentimental, and have a fondness for the old Big East, which doesn't extend to newcomers like Louisville, USF and Cinci. That league gave a lot to UConn, and yes, we gave a lot back. Being arrogant towards those schools that gave us our shot and formed the league, even if we later eclipsed them, is weak and pathetic. I wish them well and thank them for the memories.

I have no room for sentiment for our soon to be conference foes. I wonder whether there ever will be.
Arrogant? Sorry, but they left us. That was arrogance.

Reaction Score

The right thing? Please. this is about money.
Uconn has as much claim and as much stake to the BE name as anyone of those other programs. There is not right or wrong here. If the C7 were willing to pay a price, fine. Stop trying to sell that the C7 'deserve' the name. For the past 20 years, those C7 schools have sold recruits on playing against uconn, played in a league whose most valuable asset is Uconn, and probably even shared in Uconn's earnings.
Stop selling this 'basketball' centric view as the right choice. If it bothers you that much that Uconn plays football, feel free to follow the new BE...

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Reaction Score
Outside of Uconn, how many new conference members appeared in final 4s? The C7-10, BE or whatever they call themslves is more attractive than our new conference. The overall basketball will be better than the clusterfrick of our new conference. The good news is reallignment likely isn't over and eventually we end up in a weakened ACC. Football will still suck but the basketball should be very good.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
The right thing? Please. this is about money.
Uconn has as much claim and as much stake to the BE name as anyone of those other programs. There is not right or wrong here. If the C7 were willing to pay a price, fine. Stop trying to sell that the C7 'deserve' the name. For the past 20 years, those C7 schools have sold recruits on playing against uconn, played in a league whose most valuable asset is Uconn, and probably even shared in Uconn's earnings.
Stop selling this 'basketball' centric view as the right choice. If it bothers you that much that Uconn plays football, feel free to follow the new BE...

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

You mistake my point. We need to move forward as a football playing school. No question. But there are six original BE members left and five are in the C7. Plus, the Big East has always been about basketball and it should continue to be. They are paying for the name and should. But it is a better fit for that league than ours.

The arrogance I mentioned is reflected in comments like how they sold recruits on playing UConn? Seriously? And what did Jim Calhoun do? Sold recruits on playing Gtown, Cuse, St Johns etc. Without those schools our elevation never happens. We rode their coattails before they rode ours.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104