Thank you, UConn Fans. | The Boneyard

Thank you, UConn Fans.

Reaction Score
Forgive me for starting a new thread but I could not find an appropriate place to say this, and I suspect other non-UConn fans may wish to say something along these lines as well.

Thank you for graciously allowing me spend time with you and share thoughts with you over the last several months as the Big 12 Expansion misadventure played out.

On paper, I thought UConn was the best candidate. My interaction with all of you confirmed my high opinion of your university and its people.

I am very sorry things turned out so miserably. I wish all of you, and of course your beloved university, the very best. May we all live long enough to see your Huskies in a P5 conference, as they clearly deserve to be.

Adios. Hook 'em.

Reaction Score
Forgive me for starting a new thread but I could not find an appropriate place to say this, and I suspect other non-UConn fans may wish to say something along these lines as well.

Thank you for graciously allowing me spend time with you and share thoughts with you over the last several months as the Big 12 Expansion misadventure played out.

On paper, I thought UConn was the best candidate. My interaction with all of you confirmed my high opinion of your university and its people.

I am very sorry things turned out so miserably. I wish all of you, and of course your beloved university, the very best. May we all live long enough to see your Huskies in a P5 conference, as they clearly deserve to be.

Adios. Hook 'em.

I'm not really miserable. I love UConn but I can also see why the Big 12 wouldn't move heaven and earth to add it. Football is a shambles and its geographically tough.

But I just can't believe that Robert Griffin quote didn't put us over the top!

Reaction Score
I'm not really miserable. I love UConn but I can also see why the Big 12 wouldn't move heaven and earth to add it. Football is a shambles and its geographically tough.

But I just can't believe that Robert Griffin quote didn't put us over the top!

I didn't get a chance to read the materials UConn submitted. Was that quote included?

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score

Adios. Hook 'em.

Pop in from time to time. Thank you for your input and your support. It is appreciated.

Reaction Score

Adios. Hook 'em.

And with his gracious farewell, Charlie is about to ride off into the sunset with the highest like-to-post ratio ever.

Reaction Score
I thank you as well for hosting a forum in which non-UConn fans can discuss conference realignment and share their perspective on the possibility of UConn joining their conference.

An article discussing the 2016 Big Ten basketball media days in Washington D.C.:

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/college/big-ten/2016/10/13/big-ten-commish-adores-east-region-nations-capital/92018008/

Delany said. “We’re going to build here. We expect to have success here, and this is part of the Big Ten footprint. … But we’ve got fully 20 percent of our alumni base living out here. This is, I think, maybe the most important corridor in the World from D.C., Northern Virginia, to Southern Connecticut, whether you’re talking about higher education or politics or finance or media. So we expect to be here.”

I do not know what the future holds for the B1G but if Delany et al. expect to be in “maybe the most important corridor in the World from D.C., Northern Virginia, to Southern Connecticut” (bold emphasis mine) then the inclusion of UConn into the B1G becomes an important part of that strategy; if not in the present then in the near future. I hope that you will continue to welcome guests from the B1G as our conference continues to expand our presence eastward.

Reaction Score
I thank you as well for hosting a forum in which non-UConn fans can discuss conference realignment and share their perspective on the possibility of UConn joining their conference.

An article discussing the 2016 Big Ten basketball media days in Washington D.C.:

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/college/big-ten/2016/10/13/big-ten-commish-adores-east-region-nations-capital/92018008/

Delany said. “We’re going to build here. We expect to have success here, and this is part of the Big Ten footprint. … But we’ve got fully 20 percent of our alumni base living out here. This is, I think, maybe the most important corridor in the World from D.C., Northern Virginia, to Southern Connecticut, whether you’re talking about higher education or politics or finance or media. So we expect to be here.”

I do not know what the future holds for the B1G but if Delany et al. expect to be in “maybe the most important corridor in the World from D.C., Northern Virginia, to Southern Connecticut” (bold emphasis mine) then the inclusion of UConn into the B1G becomes an important part of that strategy; if not in the present then in the near future. I hope that you will continue to welcome guests from the B1G as our conference continues to expand our presence eastward.

In the darkest hours, Delany threw us a bone to keep our hope alive. I don't understand why B1G won't add us now too penetrate into the CT New England market. We are a perfect profile for the B1G.

All I know is it sucks to be stuck where we are.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
In the darkest hours, Delany threw us a bone to keep our hope alive. I don't understand why B1G won't add us now too penetrate into the CT New England market. We are a perfect profile for the B1G.

All I know is it sucks to be stuck where we are.

He mentioned southern Connecticut because the New York City DMA extends into our state. The seeds of our realignment demise were initially sewn when television inexplicably handed one-third of our state to New York and New Jersey.

Reaction Score
He mentioned southern Connecticut because the New York City DMA extends into our state. The seeds of our realignment demise were initially sewn when television inexplicably handed one-third of our state to New York and New Jersey.

I'm afraid you're right. Delany has no clue about what really moves the CT market and certainly doesn't know that people here care less about Rutgers than even the people in New Jersey. But, with the focus solely on cable boxes, nobody gives a $#!+

Reaction Score

Then he should give us credit for New England. Our market reach should be into Mass, Rhode Island, etc.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I'm afraid you're right. Delany has no clue about what really moves the CT market and certainly doesn't know that people here care less about Rutgers than even the people in New Jersey. But, with the focus solely on cable boxes, nobody gives a $#!+
Delany has seen our presence at MSG firsthand. He knows. He may not care, but he knows.

Reaction Score
Delany has seen our presence at MSG firsthand. He knows. He may not care, but he knows.

Yea, and maybe he also saw the "Mona Lisa" we painted at the Rent today ....

Reaction Score

You know you've hit bottom when Southern Connecticut is in the B1G before UConn.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score

Yale to the B1G

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Delany is primed to make a big push to get Fairfield. They deliver SoConn!

Reaction Score
It's like others said, Delany only mentioned Southern CT because it's considered NY by the TV networks. My guess is when Rutgers is good (lol), they draw better than Uconn in the total NY market. Clearly not in Southern CT itself, but the total NJ/NY/Southern CT market that TV calls NYC DMA. Rutgers was probably pulling tolerable ratings when Schiano was there

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
It's like others said, Delany only mentioned Southern CT because it's considered NY by the TV networks. My guess is when Rutgers is good (lol), they draw better than Uconn in the total NY market. Clearly not in Southern CT itself, but the total NJ/NY/Southern CT market that TV calls NYC DMA. Rutgers was probably pulling tolerable ratings when Schiano was there
I think NJ's population is about 9 million with about 3 million of that being located in the NY DMA.

On the other hand we have much more devote fan base, especially for basketball.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom