Thank you seniors | The Boneyard

Thank you seniors

Reaction Score
The season ended. I think it’s worth taking a moment to thank all the hard work the seniors that stuck with the program during the worse times and the better. I’m happy to see Whaley-pork chop-poppers-WRENCH and Polley get to the dance. It may have not been what we all hoped for or expected but they grinder it out. It’s an emotional night for them as they end their Husky careers and begin a new adventure. Good luck fellas, you will be missed!

RJ & Tyrese thank you for transferring here. You have both helped lay the foundation we have going forward. You both had a lot to prove and your junk yard dog mentality will hopefully rub off onto future huskies that met you along the way.

Matt Garry - wish we got u more playing time Brodie. Thanks for all your help on and off the court in getting these boys ready for war.

This wasn’t a season for a CV mic drop or anything like that. These guys truly believed they could help us take the next step and we didn’t have time to recognize this group of men accordingly.

In my opinion, two seasons back to the dance and coming into a new conference was not an easy transition. But here we are. Im not going to dwell or anything like that. We’ve been ranked a good chunk of the season. We were in basically every game. We were not perfect but we did improve collectively because of seniority and leadership so it should be appreciated.

Thank you for all the hard work and best of luck in your future endeavors!

Reaction Score
Great post.

That’s why I’m so upset about this loss. It’s a great group of guys who’ve had a lot of continuity from the previous year: their support for each other was evident and I really wanted a win for Whaley, Cole, Martin and Polley. Just a very likable group of seniors who should be proud of all their efforts. Great group of guys.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
Hey mods, we need a pin here.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
The season ended. I think it’s worth taking a moment to thank all the hard work the seniors that stuck with the program during the worse times and the better. I’m happy to see Whaley-pork chop-poppers-WRENCH and Polley get to the dance. It may have not been what we all hoped for or expected but they grinder it out. It’s an emotional night for them as they end their Husky careers and begin a new adventure. Good luck fellas, you will be missed!

RJ & Tyrese thank you for transferring here. You have both helped lay the foundation we have going forward. You both had a lot to prove and your junk yard dog mentality will hopefully rub off onto future huskies that met you along the way.

Matt Garry - wish we got u more playing time Brodie. Thanks for all your help on and off the court in getting these boys ready for war.

This wasn’t a season for a CV mic drop or anything like that. These guys truly believed they could help us take the next step and we didn’t have time to recognize this group of men accordingly.

In my opinion, two seasons back to the dance and coming into a new conference was not an easy transition. But here we are. Im not going to dwell or anything like that. We’ve been ranked a good chunk of the season. We were in basically every game. We were not perfect but we did improve collectively because of seniority and leadership so it should be appreciated.

Your post brings to mind CV, whose shot at playing in the NCAAs vanished when COVID shut things down. We could have used a personality like his, and he'd have benefitted from upgraded players surrounding him.

Reaction Score
Your post brings to mind CV, whose shot at playing in the NCAAs vanished when COVID shut things down. We could have used a personality like his, and he'd have benefitted from upgraded players surrounding him.
He was the last dagger we had. To think he Whaley not polley have ever won a tournament game. Go Josh?!?

Reaction Score
Great post.

That’s why I’m so upset about this loss. It’s a great group of guys who’ve had a lot of continuity from the previous year: their support for each other was evident and I really wanted a win for Whaley, Cole, Martin and Polley. Just a very likable group of seniors who should be proud of all their efforts. Great group of guys.
Amen brother… Hope all those guys feel the love.

Reaction Score
He was the last dagger we had. To think he Whaley not polley have ever won a tournament game. Go Josh?!?
Definitely go Josh at this point, though it breaks my heart because it’s halfway treasonous. But you want one of those guys to actually dance.

Reaction Score

Fabulous post. Tough loss, but it's how most seasons end. Tournament two years in a row. A decade ago that wasn't a big deal. But it's legit progress. We need more guards. DH knows we need guards. We'll see what happens.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score

I would like to echo the same.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
RJ, Martin, Polley, and Whaley are four of my favorite huskies of all time. They played hard, stood for each other, and (most importantly) helped bring the program back. When historians write about the resurrection of the UCONN men's hoops program, those four will be credited for riding on the back of the Phoenix as it emerged from the ashes.

Reaction Score
Take a step back and look at Tyler and Isaiah's college careers from a distance. Insane what they've been through/experienced. Bottom of the barrel in the AAC, coaching change, switch to a different conference, COVID, do a full 180 and reach the NCAA tournament, injuries, extra years, contribute on a top-25 team.....

These two stuck with the program and gave it everything they had. Just fell short but there's a lot to be proud of.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Thank you IW - the prototype junk yard dog who has one of the quickest set of hands on D I've seen on a big man. You receive a lot of crap from people here on the BY who probably never focused on you in person at a game to notice all the little things you do. This team will miss you tremendously. One of all time favorite UConn Husky
Thanks Polley for hanging in there - you could have xferred and received more PT and a different school but you are a true blue husky and provided us with a few thrilling shooting games
I'll save my departing remarks to those others when their intentions are known

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23, ‘24
Reaction Score
I keep saying this, but Whaley and Polley are two of the most important players in UConn history. They didn't transform the program like Donyell and Ray, but they stayed so loyal and helped lay the foundation for a new era of relevant and fun UConn basketball.

Reaction Score
Disappointing end but will remember these guys fondly. They helped pull us out of a horrible situation as a program and it's far too easy to forget that. Some really tough hard-nosed guys that put it all on the floor for this program.

Reaction Score

I’m extremely grateful for Polley and Whaley, for their loyalty and contributions to bringing the program back to relevance. Especially in Whaley’s case, they exceeded expectations and became critical components of a solid, top-25 team. Whaley is one of my quieter, favorite Huskies ever. Just a total animal, and a workhorse.

They were never, however, high-level, championship-caliber guys. And this marks an important turning point where we replace the minutes from a Tyler Polley with a stud like Jordan Hawkins. Sonogo now becomes the undisputed 5, and we can develop Sampson Johnson, Springs, and Clingan to replace Whaley. And if Akok Akok is ever able to remain healthy, do not overlook his ability to make an impact off the bench. We’re replacing 3-stars with 4- and 5-stars. Guys who have the ability to become All-Conference, All-Americans.

And if we’re lucky enough to have Cole return for one final run, we will be a Top-10 program next season.

Reaction Score
Whaley was the standard on this team as far as effort and determination. Everything he got, he earned. The progression he had from early on in his college career is honestly staggering.

Polley had a catastrophic injury during one of the best stretches of his college career, but came back and won BE 6th man of the year. He hit so many big threes in crucial moments, and he worked hard to get better on the defensive end. It's a shame that his last shot in a UConn jersey was an airball, but that's certainly not how I'll remember him

Reaction Score

This begs the question, are any of the eligible seniors coming back for another year because of the Covid rule?

Reaction Score
I'm going to miss these guys next year. Whaley is a top 3 favorite of mine for a number of reasons and next season will be a little sad without him there. The only plus is that once DH realizes other bigs can't hedge like IW, we might finally see Sanogo stop being forced to do so.

Reaction Score
Whaley had 4 blocks in each of the last 2 games. Polley got hot at the end of the year which is when it matters. Both total team players. Martin improved immensely in 2 years. RJ carried the load all year and there was no second option. Our seniors were all hard workers. No prima donnas. Just a great group.

Reaction Score
I hate to bring him up but Coach K often talked about the group with Wojo being the bridge. Hopefully, a few years from now we look back at Whaley, Polley, Martin, Cole and I would include CV as the bridge for us. Martin and Cole never had to come here and Polley, Whaley and even CV could have jumped ship, but they stayed. They stuck it out and I don't think anyone would be foolish to say the program was not the better for it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom