Thank a Nurse Day is coming sooner than later | The Boneyard

Thank a Nurse Day is coming sooner than later

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I respect Nurses a lot. Most jump into emergencies with a fearless abandon. They care deeply about the situation unfolding in front of them. Nurses are concerned about others and are committed to helping in any way possible. Yes, Thank a Nurse Day is a necessary event even more so than usual.

The core 4 suddenly has become the Big 3. Add in the volumes of earned print for the newest player—Crystal—well, you have 4 wildly successful players. These are the surgeons. The doctors. The ones who get the press and in most cases, deserve it. Nevertheless, the situation at hand always needs some organization. Someone to remind or even to minister. Yes, even some glue. Our Nurse can fill in those gaps. Defend against disruption. Assist with the effective system of action.

IMHO I felt that Kia Nurse was getting the short end of the stick too much, too soon this season. Every player on UConn cares deeply, but none cares more than Kia. She felt the need to shoulder the early responsibility for the continuation of success. Yes, she tried too hard. She almost came to tears again and I respect her for it. Geno recognized it of course and I saw a gentleness and fatherly empathy. He knew.

Another reason I like Kia is her humility. She is tough, courageous, and feisty, however, she does not mind being in the background. The Nurse is the ultimate Team Player. Her mantra (like the others) is: What can I do to help win this game?

So now Kia is the 5th wheel of the freight train rambling down the track to another town. Title-town? Maybe. If she is the 5th option or the 5th best on this team at the moment let’s look at what she brings to the table and also compare it to any of the top 10 teams in the NCAA.

Give or take – She has a 10 point scoring average over 2 seasons. What other team has 5 scorers in double figures? She averages 100 assists a game. She is a top defender. She moves without the ball at an elite level. Her BBIQ is elite. What a 5th starter! IMHO I just wanted to remind myself --and some others--that Kia (even though the articles have been few or on the downside) is a wonderful person, fierce competitor, and a winner. Did someone say she NEVER lost a game that she started?

Sorry for the long winded rant, but let me finish with this. Like most teacher/coaches I like to help others too. Kia had a gift as a frosh that seems to be forgotten. She did this often as a frosh and I have not seen it much since. Kia had the prettiest move when she went to drive to the basket, she would smoothly stop and shoot a pull-up jumper while delicately kissing it off the glass. As we know, Kia’s hockey instincts kick in at times when she bangs into a crowd when going to the rim. Just wishing her a great holiday season – and she can share this with the other players who need it—bring back the
STOP – POP- & DROP!

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Kia's defense will keep her in the starting lineup regardless (almost) of what other roses bloom. No one else applies that level of consistent intensity to their defensive game.

Even if Crystal soon replaces Saniya, and maybe Natalie starts against bigger teams, Kia will keep her place in the starting lineup. I think that will be true even next year.

And rather soon, I predict that she will find a reliable jump shot.

Reaction Score
PhillyCoach...I am so on your page. She leads the team in assists, sets the pace for defensive intensity and has a 2.5 A/T ratio....she will have some big games on the scoring front but that is only icing on the cake...she is one tough lady who is fun to watch

Reaction Score
Great and necessary post, PhillyCoach!

Kia sort of reminds me of Tony Yates. Who? Well, he played on the great Cincinnati teams of the early 60s. He was never a consistent offensive threat, but he was careful with the ball, made the shots he was supposed to, and ran the offense for the other players. Meanwhile, he was ferocious on defense. An essential, if somewhat unsung, member of 2 NC teams. If there ever was a "blue collar" player who maximized his talent, it was Yates.

I think Kia has greater offensive upside than Yates IF she can learn to relax, to be in the zone, when shooting (both her jumper and her drive). She presses too hard, and it seems that whenever Geno has a serious talking-to with her, it helps, at least for a couple of games (witness the Dayton game). But Geno recognizes all that she gives to the team, so that even next year, when there will be far too many incredible players for a sport where only 5 can start, Kia will be out there for the tip off.

Reaction Score
Great post. I don't like hearing "Core 4" or "Big 3." This team needs 5 players on the court playing well and Nurse is one of those players. The best 5 have just enough counters to be dangerous vs anyone. And one of the five reasons is Nurse. They are a 5/2/2 team. I don't look upon Nurse as number 5 but one among 5.

Lou can't defend the post yet or it is too risky to have her defend because of her offense so we have to play small. Is that Nurse's fault that a huge weakness is that we are a small team? To suggest we should play NB more, I prefer games to be won in the backcourt and apparently so far so does Geno. Nurse passes the ball well, her size allows us to compete a bit better for rebounds than we otherwise might not be able to do, and in her frosh year she was a terrific shooter too. In the Baylor game she had 6 assists and one TO.

Last year she shot 37% from 3 and prior to this year it is 38.8%. That is excellent. She'll probably pass better this year than in past and she adds toughness which this team needs. Kia Nurse is a helluva good player and a nice fit for this team.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Nurse's problem and Geno mentioned it is that she is not playing at a level of someone who has had her International and Olympic experience. She should be okay now since she had her conversation with Geno. She was not ready for the responsibility of being THE leader, per her comments. PhillyCoach, no one averages 100 assists per GAME. (just messing with you)

Reaction Score
I respect Nurses a lot. Most jump into emergencies with a fearless abandon. They care deeply about the situation unfolding in front of them. Nurses are concerned about others and are committed to helping in any way possible. Yes, Thank a Nurse Day is a necessary event even more so than usual.

The core 4 suddenly has become the Big 3. Add in the volumes of earned print for the newest player—Crystal—well, you have 4 wildly successful players. These are the surgeons. The doctors. The ones who get the press and in most cases, deserve it. Nevertheless, the situation at hand always needs some organization. Someone to remind or even to minister. Yes, even some glue. Our Nurse can fill in those gaps. Defend against disruption. Assist with the effective system of action.

IMHO I felt that Kia Nurse was getting the short end of the stick too much, too soon this season. Every player on UConn cares deeply, but none cares more than Kia. She felt the need to shoulder the early responsibility for the continuation of success. Yes, she tried too hard. She almost came to tears again and I respect her for it. Geno recognized it of course and I saw a gentleness and fatherly empathy. He knew.

Another reason I like Kia is her humility. She is tough, courageous, and feisty, however, she does not mind being in the background. The Nurse is the ultimate Team Player. Her mantra (like the others) is: What can I do to help win this game?

So now Kia is the 5th wheel of the freight train rambling down the track to another town. Title-town? Maybe. If she is the 5th option or the 5th best on this team at the moment let’s look at what she brings to the table and also compare it to any of the top 10 teams in the NCAA.

Give or take – She has a 10 point scoring average over 2 seasons. What other team has 5 scorers in double figures? She averages 100 assists a game. She is a top defender. She moves without the ball at an elite level. Her BBIQ is elite. What a 5th starter! IMHO I just wanted to remind myself --and some others--that Kia (even though the articles have been few or on the downside) is a wonderful person, fierce competitor, and a winner. Did someone say she NEVER lost a game that she started?

Sorry for the long winded rant, but let me finish with this. Like most teacher/coaches I like to help others too. Kia had a gift as a frosh that seems to be forgotten. She did this often as a frosh and I have not seen it much since. Kia had the prettiest move when she went to drive to the basket, she would smoothly stop and shoot a pull-up jumper while delicately kissing it off the glass. As we know, Kia’s hockey instincts kick in at times when she bangs into a crowd when going to the rim. Just wishing her a great holiday season – and she can share this with the other players who need it—bring back the

STOP – POP- & DROP!

Kia comes across as a TOUGH KID---probably is but she has an intense/caring soul. I hated to see her tears--every instinct wanted to quell those tears and feelings--she's one of MY kids!!
FIFTH WHEEL___!!! I'm glad I missed that posting--I can get pretty irrational over my OWN!!
@PhillyCoach --You always post exactness in postings--teach me things--and make me see things I would have missed. Your assessment, like most of what you write, is right on!! Thank you for caring. If you watch that KID (she is still a Kid) she's 100 percent into every game---some with results some not so much--her heart is there always. To select another player to fill her void--would be disaster--it's the intangibles she bring that make the difference!
You pulled me into this thread two ways--first it's you posting, then you mentioned Nurses Day. Just thinking of the Nurses that pulled me through, working over me, and 100 other guys too--brings tears to my eyes--- some many years later and I remember their names and their beauty.

IF THIS IS A RANT----RANT AWAY!!!!

Reaction Score

STOP – POP- & DROP!
Great post. Kia is a rock. I don't think she minds being a 5th wheel at all. She is the consummate winner with team always coming first. With two NCs under her belt and where she played a key role, I know she doesn't lack for any self confidence. In, fact when I saw her play as a freshman at the Gulf Coast Showcase two years ago (and where she was named MVP), I was very impressed with her swagger and fearlessness. And yet I agree with you that she is also very humble.

I think that of all the UCONN players, she has been the one most impacted by the absence of the Big 3. Kia is not a prototypical one on one player so if teams are playing us straight up without double teaming anyone, she's getting fewer good looks and little opportunity to penetrate. This is about to change. Actually, it already has. As Katie Lou moves in and out of the low post where she will be getting more and more attention and with Crystal penetrating more and making those lazer like passes, there will be more and more ball movement. Kia will really benefit from this. She'll be getting more open looks and will find some more driving lanes. With Crystal also energizing the team with her great speed, I think we'll see more points coming in transition where Kia seems to thrive. A defensive rock, she's our 5th starter this year and next.

PS are you sure she's averaging 100 assists a game?

Reaction Score

Kia sort of reminds me of Tony Yates. Who? Well, he played on the great Cincinnati teams of the early 60s. He was never a consistent offensive threat, but he was careful with the ball, made the shots he was supposed to, and ran the offense for the other players. Meanwhile, he was ferocious on defense. An essential, if somewhat unsung, member of 2 NC teams. If there ever was a "blue collar" player who maximized his talent, it was Yates.

I think Kia has greater offensive upside than Yates IF she can learn to relax, to be in the zone, when shooting (both her jumper and her drive). She presses too hard, and it seems that whenever Geno has a serious talking-to with her, it helps, at least for a couple of games (witness the Dayton game). But Geno recognizes all that she gives to the team, so that even next year, when there will be far too many incredible players for a sport where only 5 can start, Kia will be out there for the tip off.
\\

BAGS--You and Phillycoach get it--two of a kind.

Reaction Score
Great post. Kia is a rock. I don't think she minds being a 5th wheel at all. She is the consummate winner with team always coming first. With two NCs under her belt and where she played a key role, I know she doesn't lack for any self confidence. In, fact when I saw her play as a freshman at the Gulf Coast Showcase two years ago (and where she was named MVP), I was very impressed with her swagger and fearlessness. And yet I agree with you that she is also very humble.

I think that of all the UCONN players, she has been the one most impacted by the absence of the Big 3. Kia is not a prototypical one on one player so if teams are playing us straight up without double teaming anyone, she's getting fewer good looks and little opportunity to penetrate. This is about to change. Actually, it already has. As Katie Lou moves in and out of the low post where she will be getting more and more attention and with Crystal penetrating more and making those lazer like passes, there will be more and more ball movement. Kia will really benefit from this. She'll be getting more open looks and will find some more driving lanes. With Crystal also also energizing the team with her great speed, I think we'll see more points coming in transition where Kia seems to thrive. A defensive rock, she's our 5th starter this year and next.

PS are you sure she's averaging 100 assists a game?

I like this Dougie!! From the last stats KiA had 123 assists (it's in MY log book)..

Confidence is a word or attribute thrown around a lot lately--some question it's use--it's meaning--it's application to UC Women.
The most confident--has a strong belief in themselves--no matter the profession or sport will at times question their abilities--it's human.
OK maybe not DT (phooey, even she has doubt) . Asked to LEAD for someone whose function was to follow is a huge leap even for tough kids. Kia needed the kick in the pants, the discussion from Geno to turn her head into the game--it will work.. We know from the Pan Am's and Olympics Kia can lead and can be the scorer--she feels very comfortable with those teams she's played with them for years.

Reaction Score
\\

BAGS--You and Phillycoach get it--two of a kind.

Actually, there are a number of us who get it. I think, as some of you do, that the Core Four and Big 3 stuff is nonsense. I understood it last year with three exceptional players leaving, but not this year. In fact, I think it's rather insulting to Kia. If she does lead the team in assists then she is helping account for the production of other players on the floor. Also, as in hockey, every team needs an "enforcer", someone who won't back down if the going gets rough. Not saying the others players are too soft or too nice, but seriously, if things got out of hand who else would you want in the foxhole with you, assuming Diana wasn't hanging around?

Reaction Score
Actually, there are a number of us who get it. I think, as some of you do, that the Core Four and Big 3 stuff is nonsense. I understood it last year with three exceptional players leaving, but not this year. In fact, I think it's rather insulting to Kia. If she does lead the team in assists then she is helping account for the production of other players on the floor. Also, as in hockey, every team needs an "enforcer", someone who won't back down if the going gets rough. Not saying the others players are too soft or too nice, but seriously, if things got out of hand who else would you want in the foxhole with you, assuming Diana wasn't hanging around?

I don't want Kia, Diana or anyone else in a foxhole with me---because I won't be there---i'm looking for a cave. I certainly don't want any WBB player in one--I still haven't gotten over the ND player in Iraq.

Reaction Score

Let me see if I've got this - Kia as Tony Yates; Crystal as Tom Thacker, KLS as Ron Bonham, Pheesa as George Wilson, Gabby as the "Big O"; Natalie as Paul Hogue (or Connie Dierking) - those were great teams!

Reaction Score
Expectations are higher for a returning starter who is also an Olympian. Kia has not met them. She is like a R L Stevenson. You expected a great adult novel (not in pornographic sense) from him and it was always on the horizon.

Reaction Score
Expectations are higher for a returning starter who is also an Olympian. Kia has not met them. She is like a R L Stevenson. You expected a great adult novel (not in pornographic sense) from him and it was always on the horizon.

Expectations are often overrated. Reality must ultimately set in that she is a good player. That is more important than expectations. Someone could have an expectation that the next 8 years UCONN doesn't lose a game. If it doesn't happen it doesn't mean the team played sub-par.

Reaction Score
I don't want Kia, Diana or anyone else in a foxhole with me---because I won't be there---i'm looking for a cave. I certainly don't want any WBB player in one--I still haven't gotten over the ND player in Iraq.

My "foxhole" comment was intended as a "figure of speech" referencing someone who has another's back at all times. I'm not aware of the ND player you spoke of and as a grad I'd be curious. In any event, I certainly agree with the rest of your statement.

Reaction Score
My "foxhole" comment was intended as a "figure of speech" referencing someone who has another's back at all times. I'm not aware of the ND player you spoke of and as a grad I'd be curious. In any event, I certainly agree with the rest of your statement.
I can't , though I should, remember her name--she was active with ND and seriously wounded in Iraq. Your ND associates know of whom i write. I knew the phraseology of your comment--foxhole is not my favorite basketball phrase, but that's me. Many think I am an ND disliker (i don't hate)--however I followed them for many many years---today they are my third favorite team--and Third favorite coach behind the Sooners. I didn't think I wrote my comment in an offensive manner--at least that was not my intent --to offend.

Reaction Score
Expectations are often overrated. Reality must ultimately set in that she is a good player. That is more important than expectations. Someone could have an expectation that the next 8 years UCONN doesn't lose a game. If it doesn't happen it doesn't mean the team played sub-par.
I do like this comment!!!

Reaction Score
I can't , though I should, remember her name--she was active with ND and seriously wounded in Iraq. Your ND associates know of whom i write. I knew the phraseology of your comment--foxhole is not my favorite basketball phrase, but that's me. Many think I am an ND disliker (i don't hate)--however I followed them for many many years---today they are my third favorite team--and Third favorite coach behind the Sooners. I didn't think I wrote my comment in an offensive manner--at least that was not my intent --to offend.

Not offended at all. I just wanted to make sure my intent was clear and not misunderstood. For obvious reasons ND is my favorite football team but they are certainly making watching difficult this year. I'm proud to have attended in the late 60's and early 70's when Ara ruled ND football and Father Hesburgh (university president at the time) stood as a champion of civil rights as well as student rights. I'm also proud my oldest daughter is a UCONN graduate. The UCONN women's basketball team is my #1 in spite of my ND pedigree, and Kia among my favorites because of my Canadian heritage.

Reaction Score
Not offended at all. I just wanted to make sure my intent was clear and not misunderstood. For obvious reasons ND is my favorite football team but they are certainly making watching difficult this year. I'm proud to have attended in the late 60's and early 70's when Ara ruled ND football and Father Hesburgh (university president at the time) stood as a champion of civil rights as well as student rights. I'm also proud my oldest daughter is a UCONN graduate. The UCONN women's basketball team is my #1 in spite of my ND pedigree, and Kia among my favorites because of my Canadian heritage.
You too --a maple leaf.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog