Texas WBB... Should they be concerned? | The Boneyard

Texas WBB... Should they be concerned?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Currently Texas is 2-2 with losses to Stanford and Miss St. Should they be concerned or are these just growing pains? They have a rough stretch ahead: Texas Longhorns Athletics - 2016-17 Women's Basketball Schedule South Carolina on Thursday then UConn on Sunday.

Now don't get me wrong I don't think beating them will be easy because they do actually have pretty good guard play, but I would have to put my money on the Huskies. The following week they play Tennessee which last years game was atrocious, but they did beat them last year, and could beat them again. Originally, I had this Texas v Tennessee game as a win for Tennessee (not so sure about that anymore). Unfortunately, Tennessee may no longer be ranked by then and if they don't right the ship Texas might not be either.

Is anyone else surprised at the 2 losses? I really thought Texas would be much improved. I know it's early but I definitely did not expect them to be 2-2 right now.

Reaction Score
Currently Texas is 2-2 with losses to Stanford and Miss St. Should they be concerned or are these just growing pains? They have a rough stretch ahead: Texas Longhorns Athletics - 2016-17 Women's Basketball Schedule South Carolina on Thursday then UConn on Sunday.

Now don't get me wrong I don't think beating them will be easy because they do actually have pretty good guard play, but I would have to put my money on the Huskies. The following week they play Tennessee which last years game was atrocious, but they did beat them last year, and could beat them again. Originally, I had this Texas v Tennessee game as a win for Tennessee (not so sure about that anymore). Unfortunately, Tennessee may no longer be ranked by then and if they don't right the ship Texas might not be either.

Is anyone else surprised at the 2 losses? I really thought Texas would be much improved. I know it's early but I definitely did not expect them to be 2-2 right now.

The games against Stanford and Mississippi St were both on the road for Texas. Both of those are legitimate top 15 teams. I wouldn't be too worried at this point. It takes time to build up to a powerhouse. Next year they get 6'7" Sedona Prince and can move Holmes to the 4.
They'll get better this year when they get to play Tennessee. A cure for what ails teams looking to reverse their fortunes.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Prince will,i think ,be in two years and Texas will be much better later in the year.Holmes will be a very good player for them and she could be a handful by tourney time.

Reaction Score
Prince will,i think ,be in two years and Texas will be much better later in the year.Holmes will be a very good player for them and she could be a handful by tourney time.

You are correct. Prince is the same year as C Collier, 2018

Reaction Score
They lack outside shooters... some of their highly ranked players are overrated. Maybe a top 15 team, but not a top 10 team.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Yep Prince is a 2018. They get Boothe and Patterson next year.

Reaction Score

Yes they should be concerned. They will likely be 3-4 going into their Tennessee game.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I would hope Texas is concerned. Even though they have improved every year under Aston, and they have some tall girls, they still do not dominate in the low post. THat is going to be a big problem against SC.

Sometimes their offense boggs down, becoming a dribble and shoot offense. That plays into the hands of defensive teams like UConn.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Yes they should be concerned not about the record but because things just don't look right with Texas.
Joyner-Holmes is needed in the post right now and she appears either surprised or uncomfortable to be playing there. The guard play has regressed significantly since they last played UCONN and this seems to have thrown off the whole team chemistry.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
I was hoping they could get a win vs Baylor this year but that doesn't look likely... I really, really, really, want to see Kim blow a gasket, oh well there's always the NCAA tourney for that.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Not sure I have seen anyone commenting on the TX OOC schedule, but Aston has really stepped up to the plate - in the first month they will have played Stanford, Miss State, SC, Uconn, and TN - that is not quite the Uconn schedule, but pretty darned good when you add in two rounds with Baylor in conference.

This year a few more teams got the memo that if you want some attention you better play some competition - definitely a positive trend.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I was hoping they could get a win vs Baylor this year but that doesn't look likely... I really, really, really, want to see Kim blow a gasket, oh well there's always the NCAA tourney for that.

Kim is guaranteed to blow a gasket, regardless of the outcome of a game.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I don't think Texas should be concerned. They have a lot of talent and it will take Holmes a while to adjust to playing the post position in college. She will have to get used to the physicality of the game and once she does she is going to be a great player. I think that post players have the hardest adjustment coming out of high school just because they get bodied up so much and they are accustomed to being the biggest and strongest players on the court. Guards and forward don't face that physical contact so their transition would seem to be a bit easier.

Reaction Score
Team chemistry is easy to talk about, but hard to do every night. Essential if you are playing a top 5 team.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Not sure I have seen anyone commenting on the TX OOC schedule, but Aston has really stepped up to the plate - in the first month they will have played Stanford, Miss State, SC, Uconn, and TN - that is not quite the Uconn schedule, but pretty darned good when you add in two rounds with Baylor in conference.

This year a few more teams got the memo that if you want some attention you better play some competition - definitely a positive trend.
I mentioned that in another thread: Miss St - Tex Aston gets all the respect in the world from me for her OOC.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Concern? Yes. Worry? Panic? Heck no. This is a young talented team who will get more talented next year. Look at Aston on the sidelines. She always looks concerned but never ruffled.

Forwards have a harder time in D1 because usually for the first time they have to do something more than stand in the post with their hand up. Guards from the jump need to know more about schemes, sets and how to deliver the ball. Guards from their onset need to develop more skills and quickly because the coach depends on them. Bigs on the other hand have growth spurts which set back certain parts of their development, and young player have to play through these awkward stages. They also tend to develop more lazy habits. Holmes will be just fine. She'll lose a little weight, hopefully about 20 lbs., develop better eating habits, and finally hit the weight room studiously.

As an aside, wait until Boothe walks into the Texas gym for the first time and sees all the talent on a D1 floor. I hope cameras are recording her first few practices.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

Darn right.

Reaction Score

To answer your two questions, no I don't think they should be concerned (yet). It's still early in the season and a lot can change with this team. Also, I'm not surprised that Texas have two losses. Like you mentioned, it was to Stanford and Miss. St. who are two of the countries top teams. I will see what their record is around Christmas/New Years to see where they stand.

Reaction Score
What Texas demonstrates is that if you recruit great above average talented young ladies, and you don't have a coach with a disciplined system, you are not going to win national championships.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
No reason for any serious concern.. a little, sure but the sky is not falling yet. The only reason people are stressing even a little over early losses is because it's late November and most of the top 10 teams have played one or possibly two top 10 teams already.. that's a good look for WCBB when all of your top teams are playing one another during the regular season.

Everybody should be better by tournament time and just because you win the first time doesn't mean you'll win the second time when it matters so everybody better bring their A-game.

Texas has lost some pretty rough games... playing at The Hump (Mississippi State) is hard, that's not a terrible loss. SC has looked pretty good early and I know most people expect us to roll over Texas.. but I don't. That's a road game in what should be a great environment with a Texas team hungry for a big win... Atkins can get hot, McCarty could get hot, Holmes could have a breakout game... who knows, anything can happen.. that's what makes this season fun.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
They lack outside shooters... some of their highly ranked players are overrated. Maybe a top 15 team, but not a top 10 team.

WBB recruiting rankings seem to be hit or miss; usually the top 5 or 10 turn out to be great, but sometimes lower rated players are great.

Reaction Score
As a Texas fan, I am concerned. I like our guards a lot, but for some reason Higgs, the most explosive, is not getting much playing time. We miss Imani Boyette in the post something fierce. The talent is there with Holmes, but her shooting percentage is not that good yet. USC, UConn, and Tennessee all loom large.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
As a Texas fan, I am concerned. I like our guards a lot, but for some reason Higgs, the most explosive, is not getting much playing time. We miss Imani Boyette in the post something fierce. The talent is there with Holmes, but her shooting percentage is not that good yet. USC, UConn, and Tennessee all loom large.
Not sure TN should loom too large - it is also back home so a chance for some home cooking - just make sure they practice their zone defense! The other two ... yeah, I think they should bring on a little dread. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom