Texas UConn Game Photos | The Boneyard

Texas UConn Game Photos

dannykuconn

Cheerman of Board
Reaction Score
Great trip to Texas.

When I first heard about the MLK game, I knew I had to go. The first plans seemed perfect. I planned to fly down on Sunday, and my wife Lisa had to go to Arkansas, so we could go to the airport together. Then I realized that UConn was playing Houston on Saturday, and it seemed silly to fly all the way to Texas, and miss that game so I decided to go out a day earlier. That messed up my our perfect plans, and meant Lisa had to get up at 3:45 am to drive me (and Phil) to the airport, then go home and repeat her trip alone the next day, but no sacrifice is to great to see an extra UConn game, so I made the sacrifice.

Taking a flight that is scheduled to land at 10 for a 2pm start is cutting it a lot closer than I like. There;s a chance of not getting to the arena an hour and a half before tip, and that would be disastrous, but I guess we have to live on the edge sometimes.
The plane actually landed 20 minutes early, and picking up the rental car was routine, so we found we would actually have time to get something to eat before the game, which seem to make Phil happy. Google maps identified an eating spot right next to the campus, so it seemed ideal. But it was too good to be true. It was near the campus it was on campus, and school was out for winter break, so the on campus sites were not open. We shook off this potential disaster, and found a Wendy's, so manged to done leisurely before heading to the game.
The game wasn't at the University of Houston arena, which is being renovated. It was at the arena used by Texas Southern University. I didn't know how far away that was, maybe the Houston team would actually have to “travel” to go to their home games, which would take away some of their home field advantage. Turns out, when we got to the arena, you could see the Houston football stadium, so it was about as close as one could hope.
Parking didn't turn out to be as easy as one might thing. There didn't seem to be any street parking, and we found parking lot after parking lot, but they all seemed to be staff only or student parking, and with gate controlled access. Google maps identified a visitors parking lot, but when we arrived, a half mile form the arena, the sign declared it was staff and students only. The bar was up, and we decided that was a sign.
We walked around the arena, and ran into Molly Bent's family, who were also scouting out the location. We finally found the ramp up to the entrance, and there were some other fans, many wearing UConn gear, waiting for the place to open. Most were now locals, transplanted from Connecticut a number of years ago. They have clearly become accustomed to the local weather. It was in the low 50's and many were hoping the arena would open early due to the bitter conditions. We didn't have the heart to tell them it was outright balmy, and we had left jackets in the car.
If you are reading this, you saw the Houston game, so there's not a lot to be said that hasn't been said. We scored 95, but that wasn't the story of the game, it was the suffocating defense. One of the nice things about being at the game is seeing it live, and one of the especially nice things is springing for courtside seats. There's no better way to get an appreciation for how fast the game is played.
We hung around after the game and got to chat with some of the players and parents. You probably saw the photo where Gabby and Pheesa signed my shirt.
After that, we drove to Austin. Phil insists on doing something educational on these trips and I have to put up with it (just kidding, I enjoy it). We visited the LBJ Library. No surprise, there was a lot about LBJ, but there was an unexpected surprise. They had a special exhibit on Madeline Albright's pins. It may not sound impressive, but it definitely was impressive. She used used, not just as a fashion statement, but as political commentary. She had a turtle, for meetings where she thought the progress was too slow, a dove to express her desire for peace, and an interceptor missile for some arms reduction talks. When she met with the North Korean leader, she deliberately chose an oversized US flag oin, because she knew the two of them would be in a lot of photos.
The LBJ library itself felt like an Americana exhibit, between clips of the Rolling Stones, and the Dick van Dyke show. Entertaining and enlightening.
We walked the UT campus, checking out the clock tower and the football stadium. Unfortunately, students are still on winter break, so it felt a bit empty. After lunch we too a tour of the capitol, which is bigger than you might realize, because they added four floors underground, although they had skylights to the surface, so you didn't feel like you were underground.
On Monday we headed to graffiti park. I had picked up a can of blue paint to add UConn to the wall. After painting it, I could hardly see it, and we were mulling plan B when one of the artists selling his painting offered to help. He knew what he was doing, and you have probably seen the photo of the UConn logo on the wall.
J66kicker and his wife flew in from Arizona, so we went to pick them up at their hotel, and head over to walk around campus. We had a great time checking out some of the sculptures and buildings. Then he headed to sixth street and found a delightful Mexican restaurant. The made guacamole in front of us, just as the restaurant in Mohegan Sun did.
It was a busy day, and we were so tired we decided to skip the game.
Just kidding, we did go to the game. We won.
Our flight was delayed and then canceled so now with it cold outside and reports of ice so not doing much today besides dealing with the airline,rent a car place and where we parked at airport. Not the best day but It was all worth it.Photo of seven Boneyarders.
Link to photos----https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1673147166076870.1073742132.100001448080687&type=1&l=d0716332fe 26907095_1673154016076185_4319026195016631494_n.jpg

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Great stuff as always Danny. Love the “Forest Gump” photo with LBJ.

Huskie78

Husky fan stuck in South Bend
Reaction Score
TREEmendous!!
I have loved watching Gabby at the tip this year.
Some opponents haven't even bothered to challenge her.

Thanks for those pics, my friend! :)

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Great pics. I must ask, is Steve Philbrick any relation to Scott Philbrick, the great CT trad-jazz trumpeter?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Does anyone know if any of the Texas 2018 incoming players made the game. I'm think specifically of Charli Collier.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Does anyone know if any of the Texas 2018 incoming players made the game. I'm think specifically of Charli Collier.
I can’t imagine that Collier was there on a school night with Houston being a 2.5 hour drive from Austin. She would have had to skip practice to make it to the game on time and then either stay over night or get back home after midnight.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I can’t imagine that Collier was there on a school night with Houston being a 2.5 hour drive from Austin. She would have had to skip practice to make it to the game on time and then either stay over night or get back home after midnight.
I can. Didn't Christyn Williams skipped a HS school game the other day to see UCONN play in Huston? Wasn't Samantha Brunelle in Storrs recently taking pictures with Jonathan on a school night?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I can. Didn't Christyn Williams skipped a HS school game the other day to see UCONN play in Huston? Wasn't Samantha Brunelle in Storrs recently taking pictures with Jonathan on a school night?
Don’t know about CW skipping a game, but the Houston game was played on Saturday and Brunelle and her parents were also in town for a weekend game if I recall.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom