Texas Press Conference Streamed - New Coach @ Noon | The Boneyard

Texas Press Conference Streamed - New Coach @ Noon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Texas - Link

Posted because there might be a few who are interested :)

I'm sure the link will be the same for the replay.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
And the betting favorite is?

Jody Conrad

Jody Foster

Kim Mulkey

Kim Basinger

Mack Brown

Mack the Knife

CVS

Walgreens

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
It's Karen Aston. Speculation by credible news sources is that they did not bring a single other applicant on campus for an interview. The single biggest joke of a hiring process I have ever seen. So far, Auburn and Illinois have blown Texas's hire out of the water, at least as it appears at this moment in time. I'd love to eat crow two years from now, but I am hardly optimistic.

I am really disgusted with how Texas continues to accept mediocrity in its women's programs and its MBB program. In the MBB program, it's just a matter of good being the enemy of great. The women's programs carry with them a more complicated set of social issues that I'm done discussing on here.

Whatever dog and pony show Texas puts on at noon won't be remotely satisfying...unless of course you're A&M, Baylor, and Oklahoma.

Reaction Score
And now we wait to see if the other UT can top this joke.

Bets, anyone?

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Apparently Texas won't be re-setting the market again on WCBB coaches' contracts after all.
Nope- and I can't wait to hear the spin as to why, despite having a demonstrated willingness and ability to do so, they did not. Not only could they have gotten a better coach, but doing so hurts their less financially solvent rivals. It sure did last time.

There's no evidence they called anyone and offered $1.5 million, or even what GG was making. At least someone would have interviewed; that salary doesn't grow on trees.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
And now we wait to see if the other UT can top this joke.

Bets, anyone?
No. Tennessee may well try to keep it in the family, but it's at least a family that had significant success and with coaches who have at least had significant experience running a large program. Texas is keeping it in a family that hasn't been successful since the 1980s.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
And the betting favorite is?

Jody Conrad

Jody Foster

Kim Mulkey

Kim Basinger

Mack Brown

Mack the Knife

CVS

Walgreens

Oh please, let it be CVS!!! I am sure we will be surprised.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Sorry Chris, your statement about Texas players in the Final Four was inaccurate. Only Stanford and Baylor had Texas players. UConn will have their first Texas player next year. Have to recruit nationally as well as to get the best Texas players.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Ugh. It's despicable that Texas has such talent in-state and can't keep it here for the biggest and arguably best state school. The amount of resources UT has at its disposal is staggering. But football rules all, and women's sports are an afterthought. And now this? They are basically throwing in the towel. Aston? Come one. They are reverting backwards to the Jody Conradt era. Bad, bad idea. Like Alex alluded too, there are lots of implications with that which don't need to be discussed here, but wow. Very disappointing hire, IMO.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Sorry Chris, your statement about Texas players in the Final Four was inaccurate. Only Stanford and Baylor had Texas players. UConn will have their first Texas player next year. Have to recruit nationally as well as to get the best Texas players.
That's true, but Baylor is made up of mainly Texas players and they are the best team in the country. Seven of their 13 are from in-state, including Griner, Sims, Pope and Washington.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
It'll be interesting to see whether Imani Stafford sticks by her commitment to Texas.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It'll be interesting to see whether Imani Stafford sticks by her commitment to Texas.
I was thinking the same thing. if she never actually shows up on campus for classes and decides she wants to transfer, due to a coaching change, is she automatically released from her commitment or does she still have to sit out 1 year? i assume UT could release her from her commitment and she'd not have to sit out at all?

Aston was an asst under Conradt, but you'd think they'd go for a bit of a higher profile coach than one who was Jody's asst, then had coaching stints at North Texas and Charlotte. but if she has Texas roots maybe they felt it was better than a coach like Goestenkors who had almost no success recruiting out of Texas...

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"We have got to be really good here," Plonsky said. "We have gone through some tough times. It has got to be right. What we can hope for is you put people in place that you can trust." http://espn.go.com/womens-college-b...nghorns-introduce-karen-aston-new-women-coach

Now I see alexrgct what you mean. What the heck does that mean??? GG betrayed the trust? What can she trust Aston to do ... get the upper hand over A&M and Baylor, the last and the soon to be Nat'l Champs?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
It's Karen Aston. Speculation by credible news sources is that they did not bring a single other applicant on campus for an interview. The single biggest joke of a hiring process I have ever seen. So far, Auburn and Illinois have blown Texas's hire out of the water, at least as it appears at this moment in time. I'd love to eat crow two years from now, but I am hardly optimistic.

I am really disgusted with how Texas continues to accept mediocrity in its women's programs and its MBB program. In the MBB program, it's just a matter of good being the enemy of great. The women's programs carry with them a more complicated set of social issues that I'm done discussing on here.

Whatever dog and pony show Texas puts on at noon won't be remotely satisfying...unless of course you're A&M, Baylor, and Oklahoma.
She looks good at a press conference. Can she recruit or coach? This was a big splash?

Reaction Score
. . .Whatever dog and pony show Texas puts on at noon won't be remotely satisfying...unless of course you're A&M, Baylor, and Oklahoma.

Oh c'mon Alex. Give her a chance. It sounds like she's Texas through and through.
Let her recruit the state for a couple of years and see how she does. You might be
pleasantly surprised.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Oh c'mon Alex. Give her a chance. It sounds like she's Texas through and through.
Let her recruit the state for a couple of years and see how she does. You might be
pleasantly surprised.
Hey, I would LOVE to be dead wrong on this one. And one positive from today, a tweet from Ms. Stafford:

"I have a coach. Can’t wait to meet Coach Aston. @UTexasWBB, ready to start next season strong!”

But when you don't conduct an exhaustive search, and when two ostensibly excellent hires were made in the past week by other schools, it gives me very little confidence that any real due diligence was done.

Reaction Score
I was thinking the same thing. if she never actually shows up on campus for classes and decides she wants to transfer, due to a coaching change, is she automatically released from her commitment or does she still have to sit out 1 year? i assume UT could release her from her commitment and she'd not have to sit out at all?

Not sure about that. Might be an NCAA rule.

And even if they could, why would they? Sets a bad precedent it would seem.

Reaction Score
She looks good at a press conference. Can she recruit or coach? This was a big splash?

Really? I was expecting to hear that her clothes were "too lesbian", and that this sends a bad message to potential recruits.

Reaction Score
Any chance Stafford could change her mind and jump to a different school like...say...UConn!! She looks like a good Griener antidote.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I believe that once an LOI is signed there is the year sit out no matter what happens concerning reporting to campus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Howler

Top Bottom